Advice please...

Options
Just found out I am pregnant (after 19 months TTC) :bigsmile: advice on what calorie level I should put myself at. Was on 1450 a day which was only a slight deficit. My maintanence calories are 1630. Have already changed goal to 1630. Do you think this is enough though for baby and me - Ideas guys....

also of course I will be speaking to my GP/midwife about this before I get any lectures - as I only just found out though thought I would ask and see if anyone had any ides

many thanks xxx

5'4'' and 130lb at the min

Replies

• swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    First of all... congratulations!!! *throws confetti*

I think the general rule is to add 200 calories a day.
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Congrats :flowerforyou: I don't know what calories you should be on, I just wanted congratulate you xx
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys xxx :flowerforyou: I cant tell anyone yet so its cool I can do it on here
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys xxx :flowerforyou: I cant tell anyone yet so its cool I can do it on here

I'm TTC, too, so I hope to be in your position soon! Rub some of that luck off on me! :)
  • bumblebeez86
    Options
    Extra good luck - its strange as I had an appointment a fertility clinic booked for next week :smooched:
  • SimaN2014
    SimaN2014 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! how exciting :-)

I wasn't counting when I was pregnant (MFP came to the rescue after).

I think how much you need to eat varies at different stages and you may find that you have to eat differently ... small amounts in the first trimester because of nausea and small amounts in the third because there's no space, ha ha.

I was lucky and didn't crave crap. Really ate healthy food because that's what my body wanted. I gained a normal amount and only actually started putting on too much weight when I was nursing (go figure... many women lose when nursing).

You definitely need to eat at maintenance and then a little extra. It's only a few hundred calories (between 200 and 400ish -- don't remember) extra, so it's not a tonne more.

Yay for you and little bean! congrats!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd add 200 for now maybe. Maybe a bit more when you're closer to term. Congratulations!
  • Joanjett88
    Joanjett88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is quoted from http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

Ask your health care provider how much weight you should gain. A woman who was average weight before getting pregnant should gain 25 to 35 pounds after becoming pregnant. Underweight women should gain 28 to 40 pounds. And overweight women may need to gain only 15 to 25 pounds during pregnancy.

In general, you should gain about 2 to 4 pounds during the first three months you're pregnant and 1 pound a week during the rest of your pregnancy. If you are expecting twins you should gain 35 to 45 pounds during your pregnancy. This would be an average of 1 ½ pounds per week after the usual weight gain in the first three months.

Where Does the Extra Weight Go During Pregnancy?

Baby: 8 pounds
    Placenta: 2-3 pounds
    Amniotic fluid: 2-3 pounds
    Breast tissue: 2-3 pounds
    Blood supply: 4 pounds
    Stored fat for delivery and breastfeeding: 5-9 pounds
    Larger uterus: 2-5 pounds
    Total: 25-35 pounds

Just a tip, I'm sure there's lots of information out there if you search for it but most definitely talk with your doc to figure out whats best for you. CONGRATS!!!
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    1. Congratulations!

2. Talk to your doctor. Seriously. Don't trust internet advice when it comes to the health of a child.

3. Congratulations!
  • alexsondra34
    alexsondra34 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/July07/Pages/new-nice-guidelines-weight-pregnancy.aspx .

now for my personal experience; i have three kids and all i can tell you is that eating for two is absolute rubbish, if you eat normal, and by that i mean not calorie restricting, 1800 calories a day, plenty of veggies, protein and wholegrain products you should neither put on weight not lose it.

You see, the problem lies on the temptation, all those cakes calling you, fatty fried foods.....you know what i mean, but if you've had enough will power to get here you'll be able to keep your hat on now.

keep an eye on the scale, find out how much the placenta, amniotic fluid and baby would be adding to your weight and keep an eye on it,if you put on a little weight don't worry too much, if you breastfeed and stick to clean eating they'll drop in no time, again, having to eat extra while breastfeeding is rubbish, i did the dissociated diet when i was breastfeeding the third and i had more milk than with the other two and the pounds were flying away.

i do advice you though to fill up with loads of foods full of iron in the last trimester to avoid getting aneamic, the baby takes a lot of it before it's born and you lose a lot of blood.

Anyway, this is just my personal experience, i personally don't think that our grandmas, greatgrans, etc were eating differently just because of this, mine had 6 kids and never did, my mother was putting on way too much weight when she was pregnant with me and the doctor put her on a diet and i asure you, we are both fine and very healthy.

i wish you all the best, do your reseach there's a lot of old wives tales around.
  • donnabullen
    donnabullen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Huge congratulations to you::flowerforyou: I have no advise to give you apart from look after yourself xx
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/July07/Pages/new-nice-guidelines-weight-pregnancy.aspx .

now for my personal experience; i have three kids and all i can tell you is that eating for two is absolute rubbish, if you eat normal, and by that i mean not calorie restricting, 1800 calories a day, plenty of veggies, protein and wholegrain products you should neither put on weight not lose it.

You see, the problem lies on the temptation, all those cakes calling you, fatty fried foods.....you know what i mean, but if you've had enough will power to get here you'll be able to keep your hat on now.

keep an eye on the scale, find out how much the placenta, amniotic fluid and baby would be adding to your weight and keep an eye on it,if you put on a little weight don't worry too much, if you breastfeed and stick to clean eating they'll drop in no time, again, having to eat extra while breastfeeding is rubbish, i did the dissociated diet when i was breastfeeding the third and i had more milk than with the other two and the pounds were flying away.

i do advice you though to fill up with loads of foods full of iron in the last trimester to avoid getting aneamic, the baby takes a lot of it before it's born and you lose a lot of blood.

Anyway, this is just my personal experience, i personally don't think that our grandmas, greatgrans, etc were eating differently just because of this, mine had 6 kids and never did, my mother was putting on way too much weight when she was pregnant with me and the doctor put her on a diet and i asure you, we are both fine and very healthy.

i wish you all the best, do your reseach there's a lot of old wives tales around.

^^ Pretty much what she said. Just focus on keeping to a healthy, nutrient dense diet, with a few treats/meals out, thrown in, keep an eye on your weight and I am sure you will be fine. Congratulations. :flowerforyou:
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just stopped by to say CONGRATULATIONS!!
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    With my first two kids I kinda let myself go, not wise lol. With my third, I ate at maintenance and exercised and gained 35lbs (all of which I lost within 2 weeks of having him). So I would eat at maintenance, but also speak with your OB and get her opinion in case there are special circumstances we don't know about.
    And most importantly, CONGRATS!!!!!!
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was in weight maintenance for my last pregnancy. Doc told me to add 200-250 cals to my daily. I am quite tall (5'10") so the number for you might be different. Ask your doc. Should be an easy answer.

Congrats!!!!!!
  • bumblebeez86
    Options
    Thanks for all the congratulations and advice :bigsmile: