I need a hug and someone to tell me i'm wrong

13»

Replies

• Hugs!!!!

And you're wrong. At least your wrong to suggest there will be no results. There will be lots of results!

You will probably get stronger.
    You will practice good form.
    You will enjoy your life.
    You may see a visible size difference in your muscles, especially if you are still experiencing "newbie gains".
    It will start to feel natural to lift. Your muscles and your body will remember the movement.
    You will get to eat more and still lose weight, and metabolize a little faster.

Oh, you are so wrong!!:)
    So there.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Hugs!!!!

And you're wrong. At least your wrong to suggest there will be no results. There will be lots of results!

You will probably get stronger.
    You will practice good form.
    You will enjoy your life.
    You may see a visible size difference in your muscles, especially if you are still experiencing "newbie gains".
    It will start to feel natural to lift. Your muscles and your body will remember the movement.
    You will get to eat more and still lose weight, and metabolize a little faster.

Oh, you are so wrong!!:)

So there.
    Lol I guess its not so bad to be wrong sometimes thank you! :happy:
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Your muscles won't get bigger, that's true. But, they will get stronger. (Increasing muscle SIZE and muscle STRENGTH are two different things). So, you'll be able to continue to lift increasingly bigger weights as you lose. Plus, as you continue to lose, you'll strip off the fat that is hiding your lovely muscles right now, so they'll look bigger than they do now because you'll be able to see them. Don't stress -- lifting while you're losing is going to give you fabulous end results! :flowerforyou:

Yes....I have no pics to share, yet I have gone from 30% body fat to less than 20%, 60 lbs down and all the while getting stonger, and definition in an old body that I thought would never happen. On the way now to building more muscle and strength....KEEP LIFTING!
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Honestly, your muscles aren't going to get huge, but they will get stronger. You'll see the toning and definition happening. If you did the diet without any exercise, your body would lose the fat but your skin wouldn't tighten up as well. KEEP LIFTING! You got this!
    & Last but not least \(^-^)/ *hug*
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Of course you can build muscle while eating at a deficit.

Weight-lifters are so superstitious...
    Well no. Possible, yes, but lingers more in the realm of improbability.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

cerrano.png
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    If you continue to lift weights and challenge yourself consistently ill bet youll be darn pleased with at how youll look with only a 40 lb loss.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Context applies here as usual.

Someone who is relatively new to resistance training who also has excess fat to lose can build muscle in a calorie deficit. But in comparison, an experienced lean athlete gaining muscle in a deficit?? -- ain't gonna happen.

And just as an observation, it would appear that there's a reasonably big population of people on MFP who fit the category of "overweight and new to resistance training" and these are typically the people who ask about whether or not they can build muscle in a deficit. They probably can. (I don't say the previous statement with any judgement, it's just an observation in that more often than not, the answer to the question is "yes" or "probably" given the population who typically asks the question here, and yet it's almost always met with "no" by people who can't due to training experience/leanness).

Either way, resistance training will result in a greater amount of muscle mass when it's all said and done whether it's a result of a net gain in muscle mass or the prevention of muscle loss.

Totally right. I was making the assumption that the person trying to gain muscle while in a deficit was in a deficit because they were trying to lose abundant excess fat--trying to gain muscle in an environment of abundant calories stored from food eaten long ago. That doesn't describe all weight lifters. If you're already lean then you can't build muscle at a deficit.