Bariatric surgery

Options
I'm having it in a few months but have to lose 10% of my body weight . Where do I begin I'm addicted to carbs( bread pasta etc)

Replies

• gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Eat much smaller portions of your favorite foods. If you're still hungry find low calorie snacks like vegetables to fill you up. Get moving a little bit if you aren't already. Try to do a little more each day. Good Luck!
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Didn't your surgeon or nutritionist give you a plan to drop 10% before your surgery. If not, they should have. And you need to break the carb cycle now, because post surgery they will not be an option, at least from bread and grains, for at least 6 months.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    btw...there is a gastric bypass/VSG/band group on MFP. You might want to check it out.
  • 5555price
    5555price Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in April and was able to lose 10% of my weight (43lbs.. Yeah my starting weight was a lot) beforehand but it was not a requirement. I did have to see a nutritionist for 3 months and I was able to lose 20 lbs during that time. I stopped drinking soda and just ate better. Salads for lunch and only snacked on fruits or veggies and tried to not eat any fast food. After those 3 months were up, my doctor was happy but wanted me to do a rapid weight loss to shrink my liver for the surgery to go smoother. He recommended some meal replacement plan that provided 30 days worth of meals, but it was $900. I opted to find my own meal replacement plan and found a website called bariatric advantage that had about a months worth of shakes for $150. I drank two shakes a day and ate veggies as snacks then had a very reasonable dinner (usually under 300 calories). Don't get me wrong, I had a few cheat days, but other than that followed the diet pretty well. I lost 25lbs in those 30 days. It seems like a lot, but I started out with a lot to lose. All together before my surgery I lost 45lbs in 4 months.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You just eat less and move more.

Try filling up on healthy stuff if you find you're too hungry. A big bowl of lettuce with chopped strawberries and some raspberries and a little no-fat cottage cheese will fill you very nicely. Nature Valley Crunchy Granola bars are really good and SO filling! There are lots of low-cal meals.

Go out for walks every day. Swim.

You can do it. :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm having it in a few months but have to lose 10% of my body weight . Where do I begin I'm addicted to carbs( bread pasta etc)

Take 150 grams of carbohydrate per day out of your diet. 600 calories. Try that for 3 weeks.