Want to get muscular with low body fat.

Options
So i am about 74kg and 172cm tall 21 year old male. I want to gain musclemass and lose body fat, right now i am am eating way to little! about 1000-1500kcal a day. This is why i am using Myfitnesspal.

Is these numbers about right for for my daily?

I work out 4 times a week. Fullbody weight lifting. Also i do some jogging 2-3 times a week.. Just for fatburn.

Also should i eat more then kcal/protein/fat/carbs the days im working out in the gym? And if thats the case.. How much extra?? Need help from the smart guys here!

Kcal/day 2 740
Carbs/day 342.5 g
Fat/day 60.8889 g
Protein/day 205.5 g

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you're under-eating. i'm getting a BMR for you of 1797 calories, and BMR means the calories you need to stay alive while not moving at all. i'm getting a TDEE for you of 2785 daily calories.

if you want to get muscular, you need more calories. you also need to work out fairly heavy and not do to much cardio. and unless you're incredibly genetically gifted, there's a chance you will put on some fat because in order to build muscle, you need to eat enough calories (and enough protein). your body can't grow larger without the building blocks.

here - try this to figure things out
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The key is to get an accurate estimate of your daily calorie needs. This is done by measuring your percent body fat (not guessing or thinking) - go to the gym and get it measured. Then plug it into the Katch McArdle equation (Google it) along with your activity level. You would be considered moderate activity. To gain muscle, simply eat more than your daily calorie needs by about 500 cals so long as you are on a workout program. To lose fat without losing muscle, simply eat less than your daily calorie needs by about 15% and eat lots of protein (0.5g per kg of bodyweight). I would very roughly estimate that your daily caloric need is between 2600 and 2700 calories if you have about 15% body fat. At 1500 kcal/day, you're in starvation mode, losing alot of muscle, losing workout intensity and causing your metabolism to slow down.
  • plexington
    plexington Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a very difficult question to answer without making this a very long post. Short answer: to put on weight you have to be in a kcal surplus. Focus on eating 2 g per pound of body weight of protein. Cut back on the carbs and add more fat. Start with a breakdown of 30% carbs 40% protein 30% fat and then adjust. For me 100 g of carbs is more than enough. If you see a big change in the output of your workouts add back in some carbs. If you don't keep the carbs somewhat low. Of the carbs that you eat make sure they are whole foods and avoid processed foods.

The workout should be focused on at least a 2 day split and if you really want to pack on size do a 3 or 4 day split. Lift heavy weights in the rep range of 4-6 with 4 sets (5 if you count a warm up with a lighter weight). Drink at least a gallon of water a day. Sleep at least 8-9 hours every day. The last two may sound dumb, but this keeps your body cleaned out and the only time you build muscle is when you are sleeping.

The only other thing you may want to consider is to give up the running. You will be burning off lots of kcal lifting and when you build muscle you will be burning more. The jogging is not really needed and may even be hurting the development by burning off lean muscle.

Check out a either book by Tom Venuto "Burn the fat feed the muscle" or "the body fat solution". Both are excellent and will help you get the body that you are willing to work for.
  • GrantQuadzilla
    Options

Eating 2g of protein per lb is completely unnecessary.
    Carbs are very important for muscle growth and are usually the macronutrient raised between cutting and bulking.
    You don't have to avoid processed food.
    Drinking a gallon of water a day is nice but also not necessary.

Sorry but i disagree.
    Bulking and gaining mass muscle mass 1.5-2gm / lb body weight is acceptable. (Im on 2gm/lb body weight)
    I would avoid processed foods if posssible, given the preservatives and other crap they put in there. Eating clean is easily achieved. I drink 4 lt a day minimum, water is very important for cell hydration and is needed for gaining mass.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I eat 10kg per 1lb because troll.*

In though, because I'm cutting at the moment and I'm bulking again from November.

*Of course I don't.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Protein - Read it. Learn something. That much protein may be acceptable, but it's unnecessary. The added protein doesn't give you extra credit http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Processed food - What do preservatives have to do with adding muscle? Nothing. Processed food doesn't stop muscle growth.

Hydration is important but 1 gallon isn't "necessary". See the key word there?

QFT