Anyone else on a high-carb, low-protein diet?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm not "doing" low protein high carb on purpose, but I only seem to comfortably manage 60-80 grams a day with the occasional 100+ day, which translates to 10%-20% of my total intake (depending on the number of calories I consume that day).

I tried to go higher on protein, I really did, but it stressed me out trying to find reliable and easy sources, since most of the sources I like happen to also be rich in carbs, so I decided that I should forget about macros for now. Losing weight comfortably until I'm at a healthy weight is better than trying to stick to a higher protein then quitting halfway through.

This is very important imo.

Unless someone is on some extreme macro mix, the benefits of losing weight often outweighs the possible risk of losing some muscle mass. Adherence is key. If you are trying to hit macros that mean that adherence is significantly impacted (or even your mental well being), then it is just not worth it imo. To me, if someone has say 100lb to lose, there is no point losing only 10lb due to adherence issues and ensuring that 100% is fat and not muscle (which with 100lb to lose, their protein would have to be so low as to be virtually non existent in any event) when they could get a macro mix that significantly impacts adherence in a positive way, and lose the 100lb, even if slightly more of it is muscle than would be the case with higher protein). Which is best, a 250lb female with 130lb LBM or a 150lb female with 100lb LBM. I would suggest the latter (from a health perspective).

Obviously I am using a more extreme example, but the cost/benefits still apply. It also depends very much on a persons goals and other individual factors.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I don't run a specific percentage, but I so make sure I get at least 130g of protein and 65g of fat. Thereafter I get my calories based on what my body seems to 'want'. For most people, this would fall into the oft recommended 30/30/40 macro split.

Since I do a lot of endurance work, I find I need a lot of carbs once I hit my protein and fat goals. I'm sure my diet over the past few months regularly hit 70+% carbs, but when you are maintaining on 4,000 - 5,000 Calories a day, you're really on a high-everything diet.
  • Tinyfigure
    Tinyfigure Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hi! Doing 60C/25F/15P.

I am recovering fro kidney failure so my doctor recommended this split, and it plays wonderfully into my eating, as I cannot function on low carb, absolutely impossible (I pass out easily)..
  • mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    quite frankly, and good luck finding filling sources of fat that don't have protein in them anyway.

Avocado, unfiltered cold pressed virgin olive oil, unsweetened coconut, coconut oil, coconut milk, dark chocolate...even nuts really have very little protein as compared to fat.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Only 10-20% of your diet needs to be protein. Anything more is just excess.

For everyone always... you sure about that?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    quite frankly, and good luck finding filling sources of fat that don't have protein in them anyway.

Avocado, unfiltered cold pressed virgin olive oil, unsweetened coconut, coconut oil, coconut milk, dark chocolate...even nuts really have very little protein as compared to fat.

Well nuts still have protein. And oil, well, it's not exactly filling, lol.

I'd be curious about what a high carb diet is like though, with really only 10% protein, I seriously wonder how people would not be starving.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Well nuts still have protein. And oil, well, it's not exactly filling, lol.

I'd be curious about what a high carb diet is like though, with really only 10% protein, I seriously wonder how people would not be starving.

I would murder people. I could care less about carbs, I want protein and fat and that's what keeps me full. My husband would probably do great on high carb (unfortunately for him I do all the cooking :tongue: ) because he just loves potatoes and rice and bread and all the high carb starchy stuff.

I'd be willing to bet cash money that regional ancestry strongly correlates with an individual's macro preferences and what macro ratios bring them the highest levels of satiety, but I doubt you could ever really prove it. I just get annoyed when people think one way is better than the other. Humans if anything are adaptable, so it would kinda make sense that adaptability applies to diet as well.
  • alliemay1024
    alliemay1024 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want and stay within a certain amount of calories a day. Right now, that works for me. I tried Atkins and the low-carb way, only to find myself sick as a dog after 1 week of eating that way. I am diabetic, so I am n ot trying to eat a lot of carbs, but I am omnivorous..

I have lost 16 pounds in around 50 days. I am satisfied with my results. I figure if we all do what works for our body, we should do our best to stick with it. I figure as I lose more weight I will need to tweek things a bit to feel more satisfied. I am learning what foods I eat keeps me full and what I need to stay satisfied.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference. After all these studies I've noticed one thing: there are very minimal differences. It's all about calories in - calories out. If loading up on carbs helps you do that, go for it.

The average adult needs 55g of protein a day. I personally have trouble hitting that so protein is a big factor in what I eat. Even a body builder only needs 115g of protein per day. Anything more is overkill and has been proven to leech calcium.

The environmental effects of these meat based diets is devastating. In one acre of land, a few years, pounds upon pounds of grains and water, I can make 16 lbs. of beef. In that same acre, I can make 20k lbs of potatoes in one season. No grain, no water to feed that grain, and just water to feed the potatoes. Do the math. If people don't start cutting their meat intake and eating more fruits and vegetables, we'll be in a severe food crisis by 2020.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I'm not "doing" low protein high carb on purpose, but I only seem to comfortably manage 60-80 grams a day with the occasional 100+ day, which translates to 10%-20% of my total intake (depending on the number of calories I consume that day).

I tried to go higher on protein, I really did, but it stressed me out trying to find reliable and easy sources, since most of the sources I like happen to also be rich in carbs, so I decided that I should forget about macros for now. Losing weight comfortably until I'm at a healthy weight is better than trying to stick to a higher protein then quitting halfway through.

This is very important imo.

Unless someone is on some extreme macro mix, the benefits of losing weight often outweighs the possible risk of losing some muscle mass. Adherence is key. If you are trying to hit macros that mean that adherence is significantly impacted (or even your mental well being), then it is just not worth it imo. To me, if someone has say 100lb to lose, there is no point losing only 10lb due to adherence issues and ensuring that 100% is fat and not muscle (which with 100lb to lose, their protein would have to be so low as to be virtually non existent in any event) when they could get a macro mix that significantly impacts adherence in a positive way, and lose the 100lb, even if slightly more of it is muscle than would be the case with higher protein). Which is best, a 250lb female with 130lb LBM or a 150lb female with 100lb LBM. I would suggest the latter (from a health perspective).

Obviously I am using a more extreme example, but the cost/benefits still apply. It also depends very much on a persons goals and other individual factors.

This was a problem for me after joining MFP. I had lost about 40lbs prior but stalled and knew that I had to do something different so I started tracking calories here. I kept reading about "protein: and "macros" and soon found myself obsessed. Along with that trying to keep my blood pressure under control I became OCD about sodium and potassium. I was driving myself insane. I was ready to quit. So...

I now just eat...try to stay withing my calorie limit. In doing so I find that all of those things that was making me OCD worked themselves out...most days they are right about on target.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference. After all these studies I've noticed one thing: there are very minimal differences. It's all about calories in - calories out. If loading up on carbs helps you do that, go for it.

The average adult needs 55g of protein a day. I personally have trouble hitting that so protein is a big factor in what I eat. Even a body builder only needs 115g of protein per day. Anything more is overkill and has been proven to leech calcium.

The environmental effects of these meat based diets is devastating. In one acre of land, a few years, pounds upon pounds of grains and water, I can make 16 lbs. of beef. In that same acre, I can make 20k lbs of potatoes in one season. No grain, no water to feed that grain, and just water to feed the potatoes. Do the math. If people don't start cutting their meat intake and eating more fruits and vegetables, we'll be in a severe food crisis by 2020.

Could you show where it indicates that:

- even a body builder only needs 115g a day. Is this for maximum MPS?
    - how >115g protein leeches calcium (btw, a study was posted showing it did not already)

You can get protein dense foods from other sources than meat
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

Look, I work in ecology and environmental fields and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but going plant based really isn't going to fix this issue. Especially if you're from a first world country. I encourage everyone to make environmentally mindful choices when it comes to their food, but the simple fact of the matter is there are too many damn people in locations where infrastructure or govt. issues prevent adequate distribution of food. Going plant based sounds great on the surface, but there can be severe consequences depending on how that change over is handled.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Look, I work in ecology and environmental fields and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but going plant based really isn't going to fix this issue. Especially if you're from a first world country. I encourage everyone to make environmentally mindful choices when it comes to their food, but the simple fact of the matter is there are too many damn people in locations where infrastructure or govt. issues prevent adequate distribution of food. Going plant based sounds great on the surface, but there can be severe consequences depending on how that change over is handled.

It's my understanding that we continue to produce sufficient food but that issues are related to distribution and waste. Even in Western Europe, a rapid switch to a different food sourcing pyramid risks radically changing social landscapes and killing off the small farms which are the backbone historical cultures. France without a thousand cheeses? What sadness.

The end of world scenario by 2020 seems rather scaremongering than realistic.

As to the numbers proposed the are ridiculously low. My own RDA based on US standard equation as a minimum is 72 grams for and endurance athlete.
    Reference: Dietary Reference Intakes For Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids,Cholesterol, Protein,and Amino Acids, Institute of Medicine of the National Academies Link: www.nap.edu

However, given current best recommendation for a bodybuilder these are closer to 140 g/day for my current training. That 55g/115g that the OP proposes as best fit, just isn't true. At least based on educated primary research review.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I almost have bingo...China Study and Forks Over Knives in one thread....

Personally OP, I just eat a pretty balanced and well rounded diet. I don't obsess too much about my macros, but they're generally in the vicinity of 50c/25p/25f. I'm very fit and very healthy and doing just fine...I
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

It's my understanding that we continue to produce sufficient food but that issues are related to distribution and waste. Even in Western Europe, a rapid switch to a different food sourcing pyramid risks radically changing social landscapes and killing off the small farms which are the backbone historical cultures. France without a thousand cheeses? What sadness.

As to the numbers proposed the are ridiculously low. My own RDA based on US standard equation as a minimum is 72 grams for and endurance athlete.
    Reference: Dietary Reference Intakes For Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids,Cholesterol, Protein,and Amino Acids, Institute of Medicine of the National Academies Link: www.nap.edu

However, given current best recommendation for a bodybuilder these are closer to 140 g/day for my current training. That 55g/115g that the OP proposes as best fit, just isn't true. At least based on educated primary research review.

This doesn't even bring in to account issues affecting waterways and ocean eutrophication from the additional chemical load required to produce the plant mass necessary for consumption. And the fact that when most people go off farm animals for their protein they often move to fish/shellfish as an alternative, and there are real numbers indicating that our large fish consumption is already well beyond maxed out.

Honestly, you really want to make a difference, start eating bugs, 100% serious on this.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

This doesn't even bring in to account issues affecting waterways and ocean eutrophication from the additional chemical load required to produce the plant mass necessary for consumption. And the fact that when most people go off farm animals for their protein they often move to fish/shellfish as an alternative, and there are real numbers indicating that our large fish consumption is already well beyond maxed out.

Honestly, you really want to make a difference, start eating bugs, 100% serious on this.

I've always wanted to try fried grasshoppers. I wonder if they are like Tamagogani or Kanikko (basically sweetened dried/roasted mini crabs).
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

I've always wanted to try fried grasshoppers. I wonder if they are like Tamagogani or Kanikko (basically sweetened dried/roasted mini crabs).

My Hispanic students in LA used to bring me roasted crickets all the time. Very tasty, and an excellent low ecological impact protein source.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

My Hispanic students in LA used to bring me roasted crickets all the time. Very tasty, and an excellent low ecological impact protein source.

Well, I guess I know what I'll be looking for...to help the environment of course >.> :bigsmile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I eat bugs. Well, when I'm back in Mexico, especially the south. Fried grasshoppers, chapulines, taste like lemon and salt, just crunchy. We also eat a small type of worm called jumlies while they are still alive in central Mexico. Various escarabajos or beetles are eaten in the south - cooked or raw. But it will never be a major dietary part. They are just snacks. Getting sufficient volume on insects isn't going to happen.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

I eat bugs. Well, when I'm back in Mexico, especially the south. Fried grasshoppers, chapulines, taste like lemon and salt, just crunchy. We also eat a small type of worm called jumlies while they are still alive in central Mexico. Various escarabajos or beetles are eaten in the south - cooked or raw. But it will never be a major dietary part. They are just snacks. Getting sufficient volume on insects isn't going to happen.

There would have to be a massive change in opinions on them as a food and protein source. They can be farmed for large scale production and the numbers actually look pretty good for how it would work (completely theoretical at this point obviously). I did see a post from a friend a couple of days ago. There is at least one company out now that is producing protein/energy bars from, I want to say it was cricket flour. The problem is convincing people that eating food with cricket flour in it isn't going to kill them. :ohwell: