Carb/Cal Cycling Strategy--thoughts?

Options
I've been reading a bit about carb cycling recently, which suggests that if you have a high(er) carb day followed by several low carb days, you burn fat better. I was curious about how this might work in practice so I tried to have a low carb day yesterday and today following a high carb day on Tuesday and that's all fine and good but I realized quickly that it's hard to eat enough total calories when eating few carbs (huzzah atkins lol). So now what I'm thinking is what if I do three days of high carbs and no calorie deficit (coinciding with my resistance training days) followed by four days of low carbs and ~500 cal deficit? Has anyone toyed anything like this? Thoughts?

Replies

• sziemba1
    Options
    I recently lost 60 lbs in 16 weeks, which I think is quick good for me. I keep my carb limit to around 115 per day avoiding flour, sugar, rice, and potatoes. There were some weeks when the scale did not move despite my good efforts. I had read a doctor's report that said that when you reach a weight loss stall eat high carbs for one day only and return to your diet until you reach another stall. He said it shicks your metabolism. I tried it and it worked. I had to do that three times during my 16 weeks. Hope this helps you.
  • utamore
    Options
    That's amazing! Yes the doctor's report is similar to what I've seen, with the modification that you can do it every few days rather than upon hitting a plateau.