Is there anyone who still believes in low carb dieting?

Options
I have been waiting for the low carb fad diet to go away but for some reason it is just lingering and people are still preaching its praises. I have dismissed it from the start and have no plans on ever going on a low carb diet. So far, eating a balanced diet has worked for me.

Is there any new information about low carb dieting that is keeping it alive?

Replies

• fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That's a great question. I keep hearing everyone sing the praises of the book "The New Rules of Lifting" so I picked it up at my library. It also preaches a low carb diet, which I found to be extremely disappointing. It seems to me there should be a good variety in everyone's diet. I try to eat healthy most days, but I can't imagine giving up ANYTHING for the long haul.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Personally I do not follow it but I have before. I did South Beach. It works great for many people. I think it has proven to be no fad. What works for some doesn't work for all, however. I love my chips too much. Low cal works best for me! :)
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i dont know really other than starchy foods turn to sugar in your blood stream. i used to do atkins, found it impossible for me since i am a carbivor myself lol. BUT in the last few years i have cut out most white and bleached carbs :)
  • tiptoe6
    tiptoe6 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did South Beach a few years ago. I had to change everything I loved to eat around so much, that I fell off of the wagon rather quickly. Moreso than with MFP, and Weight Watchers. However, I did lose a lot of weight, and fast! The only bad thing was, when I wanted to try to introduce some carb-ful foods back in, I gained it back just as fast. I think it works, but not for the long haul.
  • pattyisinaz
    pattyisinaz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from starchy food for the most part because I don't feel so great after I eat it.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Atkins worked for me back in 2003. I lost 50 pounds over the summer and felt great. I didn't really do any strength training during that time. Mostly cardio, with a lot of running...back in the day when I could run three miles pretty easily. I gained all that weight back over the next 6 years as I slid off the diet and started to eat more carbs again.

I just can't handle a diet that cuts one specific thing from my intake. It's not sustainable. I've found it much easier, and healthier in the long run, to moderate everything. It wasn't carbs that got me...it was too many calories, fats, carbs, sugars, etc. In my opinion, it's a lot better to eat a little less of those and maintain that for the rest of my life than it is to cut carbs out forever. Just won't work for me in the long haul.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think a modified low carb diet is probably good for many. Atkins was way too over the top. But South Beach isn't bad. It doesn't eliminate carbs, but encourages you to watch the kinds of carbs you eat--get rid of the processed sugar and white flour--not bad advice.

I confess, however, that my son and his wife are doing crazy low-carb stuff. Imagine making a pizza with a cream cheese and cheddar crust! They said it was delicious. I'm not so sure. They look great, but I don't think it's something one can maintain over the long haul, and I'm concerned about the negative effects of high fat-high cholesterol protein sources. My husband had a heart attack at 45, so high cholesterol is not something my son can afford to ignore!
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have done both Atkins and South Beach in the past. The pounds fall off like crazy and FAST, but I always felt lethargic and dizzy and I had bad breath. As soon as I started reintroducing carbs in my diet the weight piled back on (plus more).

That being said, I definitely think there is merit in reducing/eliminating processed foods and 'white' carbs. These foods quickly spike blood sugar and most people's bodies over-respond with lots of insulin. Vicious cycle.
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    I agree. I can't cut out carbs; I love them too much! But I try for whole grains and complex carbohydrates as much as possible. And fewer sweets.
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    I love my carbs! I always go way over my carb count everyday and I don't care because I love my carbs! :laugh:
    Working out, drinking lots and lots of water seem to work just fine for me.:drinker:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Before I ever paid much attention to the big "fad" diets or serious nutrition, I just happened to never be a big fan of bread, rice or pasta. Yes I ate them, but not that much and certainly never went out of my way to do so. I lifted a lot of weights and ate tons of protein. I was able to maintain a very healthy weight with eating relatively low amounts of carbs.

Even now, I am much more of a runner than a lifter, but I still prefer to eat meat and veggies & fruits over bread/rice/pasta.
    I will eat whole wheat bread on a snadwich for lunch. And its hit or miss maybe 1-2 days a week I will have a small side of rice or pasta for dinner, otherwise its fish/chicken/meat & veggies. I have leaned up very nicely on this diet and feel great.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation! I eat carbs every day, but only complex carbs. I have not consumed any "white" ones for almost 2 years. I tend to have the best results eating a well balanced diet and not denying myself. That is something I can live with for life!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY LOW CARB?

If you mean eating under 100 carbs, I'm a low carber!!! MY MFP limit is 165 but I never eat that much, I think because I only eat 1 serving of each carb food at a time. If I have bread and rice in a meal I eat only 1 serving of each.

I'm not a Atkins Dieter but I have read its info. As well as many others.

ATKINS:
    PHASE 1 - 20 carbs from leafy greens and veggies - 2 WEEKS ONLY
    PHASE 2 - Gradually increase carbs each week as long as body continues to lose weight. 25/35/45 and etc as high as 80 carbs.
    PHASE 3 - 10 lbs from goal - reintroduce whole grain foods. And continue increasing carbs gradually as long as losing weight.
    PHASE 4 - After the several months of eating right and developed new eating habits, you maintain it.

I believe Atkins gets its negativety because of people not following the plan correctly. They stay in phase 1 to continue losing large amounts of weight and thus losing weight too fast and never going into the 2nd phase where they are gradually changing what they eat.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now because the sugars in fruits have been crushing my weight loss goals.
  • emb1
    emb1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't eat carbs and love it. I feel much more lean. Sugar and I don't get along well.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carb, but I do high protein. LOL i recognize that my body desires protein more and gets leaner because if it. i'm a fast oxidizer.

The Fast Oxidizer

Recognizing the Fast Oxidizer:

1. The fast oxidizer breaks down carbohydrates very rapidly.

2. There is an increased amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the blood stream.

3. Fast oxidizers generally needs a high protein diet. Proteins take longer to break down and hence a high protein diet controls hunger. A pure fast oxidizer may well be a complete carnivore.

4. All foods are oxidized or burned up fairly rapidly, therefore may be hungry often during the day. The fast oxidizer generally must eat at least three meals a day and sometimes even more.

5. The ash created by the burning of protein is acidic and therefore the blood becomes more acidic, that is, the pH of the blood decreases. At its extreme a metabolic acidosis may be created.

6. The Parasympathetic nervous system is more dominant in fast oxidizers. Stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system causes increase hydrochloric acid production, increased motility of the digestive system and release of pepsin and other digestive enzymes into the stomach to aid in digestion.

7. The fast oxidizer is more likely to suffer from problems where there is lack of stimulation of one or another gland or organ. Conditions such as: a low thyroid, calcium imbalance, allergic asthma, stomach ulcers, hay fever, excess mucous production, slower heart rate, low blood pressure and reactive hypoglycemia. These problems are also related to the speed of metabolism and the hyperglycemic action of adrenaline.

8. The fast oxidizer is more likely to suffer from diarrhea then constipation.

9. May be prone to fainting or episodes of dizziness.

10. The fast oxidizer may be more prone to osteoporosis and inflammations of the joints such as traumatic arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and gout.

11. There is an increased potential of addiction to sugar and therefore to weight gain and even binge eating.

12. The fast oxidizer may experience increase intestinal motility, acidic stomach, acid indigestion or gastric reflux.

http://www.yourpersonalwebmd.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=106&Itemid=118
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now because the sugars in fruits have been crushing my weight loss goals.

I had to reduce fruits dramatically!!! Here are my results after 2 months of limited sugar, but that does not mean carbs. I ate the same carb amounts. Kept my sugars under MFP limits.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/140762-belly-fat-progress-pics-9-20-12-10
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I dont' do "low carb" or any specific diet, but I believe many people eat WAY more carbs than we need. MFP defaults to 55% carbs, but I feel much better and have more energy, and are less hungry when I eat more protein. I aim for 40-45% carbs, 25-30% protein and 30% fat.

On top of that, I feel that the carbs I do eat (which is still usually 150-200g per day) need to be healthy, non-processed carbs. I try to get most of my carbs from vegetables, fruits and non or very lightly processed foods like quinoa, steel cut oats, beans, etc. I also try to limit my sugar to 10% of daily calories (25% or less of my carb total), which comes out to about 38g of sugar per day. I try to get almost all of this from natural sugar - fruit, vegetables and dairy - I'm trying to cut added sugars out almost completely (except for the occasional treat). I try to stick to buying products without added sugars (ex. no-sugar added applesauce, yogurt without added sugar, peanut butter without added sugar, etc.).

I'm not great at sticking to this all the time, but I want to because I feel so much healthier when I do.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    ME!
    I have a horrible sweet tooth and sugar craving and going low carb...NO refined or processed foods either
    Is the only thing that keeps my weight down and on track
    I wouldnt' rec for everyone but it works for ME
    I do pretty intense low carb that probably everyone wouldn't agree with...splurge on Holidays etc...

Kim
  • lisafrancis629
    Options

I have to be very careful with fruit because the sugar can trigger me to crave more sugar in the not so healthy form. I can't eat any type of fruit for breakfast because then I'm fighting the sugar craving the rest of the day. I save my fruit for the latter part of the day.