HRM help...!

OLP76
OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay, this site is not much help to me, if I don't get one of these Heart Rate Monitors...
I do the P90, P90X workouts...I have been advised to get a HRM.

Now, what should I be lookin' for there's one at a local Zellers 34.99 - just has basics, than another one at 49.99. with all the gagets...I'm not to concerned about the prices...I'm concerned...of which one I should get.

My goal is to lose 40 pounds by March 2011. I have already lost 2 pounds in 5 days - so I know I can do it...
Any feedback will be appreciated...much thanks in advance... :D...xo

Replies

• mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    I've heard absolute wonderful things about Bodymedia. It's pricey, but I've been saving my money because they seem to be super helpful tools to help me in my weight loss. You plug it into your computer and it will track many things like how many calories burnt, calories consumed, sleep patterns, etc. It breaks things down for you by the hour, how vigorous your exercise was, and overall I think it's a great way for me to depend on ME to motivate myself towards getting healthier and thinner. www.bodymedia.com

Check it out!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    I purchased a Timex T5G971 from Amazon and it turns out it isn't very accurate. It was a chest strap and watch. It showed me burning 3 calories per minute sitting. That means just sitting for 24 hours I would burn over 4000 calories.

Most people on the site seem to love the Polar Series. I broke down and ordered one through Amazon. Was 94 dollars but I think it's worth it in the long run
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    I also want a HRM, This morning I just searched all the forum on here that were talking about them.
    From what I was reading the Polar one is somewhat the best other then the fact you have to send it in back to them to change the battery for the warranty to still be applicable. I dont think it matters as a lot of people said their battery lasted years.
    I was told you can by one of the polar ones at Walmart.

Just search the forum discussion on here, they are very helpful!

Goodluck!
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    I, along with most people will suggest Polar

This is an item that you want to spend money on....the quality ones are around $100 but well worth it

Also, it must have a chest strap so you can get accurate readings
  • I have a Polar F6. It's very accurate. I love it. Just be sure to buy one that has a chest strap for the most accuracy.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I have a polar f4 and I love it!
  • Most of the Polar watches these days have user-changeable batteries. Don't buy one where you have to send it in for replacement. There are a ton of good models out there. Just look at some reviews on Amazon and other sites. I recently bought the F11 because of the good reviews it had on Amazon. But get what interests you most.

I had originally gone after the F6 but in the end chose the F11 because of the more comfortable chest strap, Fit-test, Workout Plan but most importantly the user-replaceable battery.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    i have the polar 7ft and i love it...i'm addicted to it...runs around $100+ bucks but well worth it...i push myself harder as i play with the numbers to make myself work longer to get the BEST burn possible....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,340 Member
    I have a Polar F6. I've had it three years and still haven't had to replace the battery. I really like it, it's waterproof and has a lot of useful functions.

Here is the best info on HRMs I've read on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/azdak
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Looove my Polar FT40 - got it on eBay and saved about $60 off the retail price!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    I purchased a Timex T5G971 from Amazon and it turns out it isn't very accurate. It was a chest strap and watch. It showed me burning 3 calories per minute sitting. That means just sitting for 24 hours I would burn over 4000 calories.

That's because you were using it for a purpose that it wasn't designed for. This HRMs that calc calories are only accurate for cardio exercises, not sitting watching tv or doing housework, or strength training for that matter.

Your Polar will say the exact same thing as your Timex did. Too bad you just wasted more money.
This discussion has been closed.