salmon for non salmon lovers

asltiffm
asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
I really, really don't like salmon. It's the one healthy food my DH will eat so I have been trying to find different ways to cook it. I found this recipe online and thought I'd give it a shot. I am SOOO glad I did. I was chowing down on it and was sad when it was all gone. My DH liked it too. I didn't use quite all of the mayo and I will only be using 1 Tbsp next time to see if it changes the flavor at all. If that goes well, I'll try it with none.

1 lb salmon fillet
1/3 cup yogurt
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
2 teaspoons onions, finely minced
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
3 tablespoons mayonnaise (light is fine)
paprika

1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2 If frozen, partially thaw fillets and cut into serving size pieces.
3 Place in a greased baking dish.
4 Combine yogurt, mustard, onion, dill, and mayonnaise.
5 Season with salt and pepper.
6 Spread mixture over fish.
7 Bake 20 minutes per inch of thickness of fish if frozen or 10-12 minutes if thawed.
8 When just done, sprinkle with a dash of paprika.
9 Serve with lemon wedges.

Replies

• ctraill
    ctraill Posts: 89 Member
    I love salmon just about any way you prepare it but this sounds really tasty. Thanks for sharing! It sure livens up the salmon I just had for lunch that was only cooked with lemon zest, salt and pepper!
  • BUMP.....MMMM GOOD!!
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    I may try this, sans mayo. Salmon is my favorite fish, after fresh caught crappie and blue gill through the ice.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,559 Member
    I"m so with you on hating salmon. The only time I have ever "liked" it was in Alaska but that's completely different than what we get here in Florida! I'll give this a try because my DH loves it and it is so good for you.
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    I don't like salmon either unless it's raw or smoked, but I made it for dinner as well since hubby bought it. I'll try this way next time.

I did foil pouches with onion and zucchini, salmon on top with French dressing poured over and baked. It turned out really good. I guess I just need to find new ways to prepare fish, without drowning it in tarter sauce.

Ven
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    A great recipe for salmon that I've been toying with for the past year is as follows:

1.5 tablespoon butter
    1/8 cup brown sugar
    dash of salt

This recipe is based on about half a pound of meat.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

The salmon saturates the brown sugar and becomes sweet. It covers most of the "fishy" taste that many people tend to not like about salmon. Personally, I don't care how it's cooked, I love it no matter what.

This recipe in particular comes out to about 675 calories, but that's counting the entirety of the ingredients—not all of the sugar is going to be saturated, nor is much of the butter, which is mostly there to keep the salmon moist. And much of the calories come from the eight ounces of fish (and it all depends on what kind of salmon it is, as to just how many calories it is).

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack a thread, I just thought some folks might enjoy this. Personally I'm OK with a higher calorie meal if it's something that's decently good for me.
This discussion has been closed.