treadmill or elliptical?

Options
My husband is going to be getting me a treadmill for the house next month. I was talking with a friend and she said she loves the elliptical so i was wondering what you guys suggest? should i stick with the treadmill or go for an elliptical? thanks!!!

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    If you are not a big runner, I would go for the eliptical :)
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical because it's easier on my knees, but I often feel like I'm getting a better workout on the treadmill. I guess if I had to choose, I'd go with the treadmill as i like to run or I like to walk on a steep incline. It feels more versatile to me. I'll be interested to see other people's opinions as well...
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Elliptical for sure! I have both and get much more use out of my elliptical!
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump..I would like to see what others think..thank you for asking the question I have been thinking about :laugh:

Mary
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    Preference. Personally, I love the stairmaster. But that's just me!
  • navs52
    navs52 Posts: 40
    Options
    The elliptical is easier on your body but you dont' get as intense of a workout. I find it extremely hard to get my heart rate up to the levels I do when I'm running. You will need to work out longer on the elliptical to burn the same amount of calories.
  • sleddin_chic
    Options
    I have an elliptical and I love it. I would say that you should get what you use. If you are used to walking on the treadmill, then stick with it. I burn a lot more calories on my elliptical then I do walking as I am not a runner. Good luck and Merry Christmas!
  • JoyCarter
    Options
    The elliptical is easier on your knees but you have to push yourself to burn your goal amount of calories. Where as on the treadmill, once you set you pace you are pretty much set at how many calories you will burn - you can slow down but you will fall off lol=) I feel like I work harder with the elliptical but I burn more on the treadmill. If i had a choice i would get the elliptical - better for the knees thus better for life =) GOOD LUCK!
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    definitely the elliptical :smile:
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Preference. Personally, I love the stairmaster. But that's just me!

ME TOO!! Stairmaster all the way!! I've found I burn way more calories in the same amount of time :happy:
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Get which ever you think you would use more. I burn more calories on the treadmill b/c I'm not hanging on to the handlebars and I walk/jog at a slight incline. Withe the elliptical you have to make sure the resistance is high enough that it is actually a challenge.
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I like both, but my preference is the treadmill. You can walk, jog or run and you can set the incline to as high as you want. When I'm able to afford it I'm thinking about investing in the treadclimber by Bowflex.
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    My feet fall asleep when I use the elliptical so I would say treadmill, but I definitely think it is a personal preference.
  • jessicalhall85
    Options
    thanks everyone!! i have never used an elliptical so thats why i needed to ask...maybe ill just try one out! lol thanks again!
  • bobdubya
    Options
    I used to be on the treadmill and look over at the people on the elliptical. One day I decided to try it.. Haven't been back to the treadmill since.. Time flies by, burn more cals, and it's a lot easier to speed up and slow down on the fly. To me,, it's a no brainer... ELLIPTICAL
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I am all about the elliptical, easier on your knees and I like that I can change my pace during the workout without having to touch any buttons.
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Options
    My feet fall asleep when I use the elliptical so I would say treadmill, but I definitely think it is a personal preference.

Your feet fall asleep because you need to concentrate on keeping them flat at all times and push more with your legs. I know it happened to me at first too. Push down less with your toes and more with your legs, feet flat. At first you'll go slower, but you'll get a much better workout too. Hope this helps
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Elliptical. I highly suggest a NordicTrack one. (Its the one I have) It is much easier on the knees. Mine has shock absorbers for it. But whatever you do make sure you read the reviews on it before just buying one. I like it more then the treadmill.
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    I have them both and love them both. I burn more calories on the elliptical compared to walking on the treadmill. But running on the treamill burns more calories. I get a better total body workout on the elliptical because of the handlebars (don't really know what they are called). I can go from letting my legs do most of the work to letting my arms do the work. Go backwards, work a different muscle group, squat about 3 inches while you're doing it and again, different muscles are worked. Mine has 10 different programs or I can do it manually so I never get bored. I do love running on the treadmill though. :tongue:
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I'm a big runner, so I will go with a treadmill. In a 60 minute run on the treadmill, I can burn 1200 calories; on the elliptical, I can only burn about 750 to 800 calories. Both machines are excellent tools, but I prefer the treadmill.