Is splenda really an ok alternative to sugar?

Options
I love, absolutely LOVE sweet tea, and plain tea just hasn't cut it with me. Can I just order unsweet tea when I go out to eat and add splenda? If so, how much?

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Splenda is artifical....so no, sorry dear. Look for Stevia, it's natural and organic.
  • sayuri1
    sayuri1 Posts: 111
    Options
    Splenda is artifical....so no, sorry dear. Look for Stevia, it's natural and organic.

Completely agree. If I don't have stevia I just use sugar, I rather have that than chemicals.
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    Stevia is being investigated and there is much misinformation. So far, it looks quite safe. It has been used in Japan since the 70's. I prefer to avoid sweetners as much as possible and limit sugar. The trick is to find a place that has good tea that isn't bitter. Then, you may not need any sweetner at all.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

Completely agree. If I don't have stevia I just use sugar, I rather have that than chemicals.

FYI - "sugar" (table/white sugar/cane sugar) is made using plenty of chemicals and it in no way is a truly "natural" product. I would avoid this just as much as HFCS or artificial sweeteners. Check this post out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/119250-how-sugar-is-made

I try to stick to stevia (pure stevia, not the common stevia products that have additives), honey or maple syrup, though I've stopped adding sweetener to most things. I don't even sweeten my coffee all the time any more. If i'm eating at someone else's house, or eating out, I realize I can't always avoid table sugar and other sweeteners - I'm not fanatical about it - but what I can avoid I do.
  • janclarkrae
    janclarkrae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and use splenda with no problems. I do not like the taste of stevia and cannot take the sugar. I think every option has its positives and negatives. You need to decide what is important to you.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I get all the stuff that says Splenda and other artificial sweeteners are bad, but I honestly have no problem using them. Its a few in my coffee every day and that's it. It's not the same as sugar, since it is artificial, but I'm going to keep using it because it's a good alternative for me, and it's free in my work kitchen with the coffee. I get that some people really don't want to use it, but I'm going to.
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    I personally use Truvia which of course is made with the stevia plant... I try to avoid Splenda if at all possible but do use it occasionally.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It depends. My view is that there are a lot of things in life that aren't good for us. It is all a matter of balancing things so that each of us is comfortable with our decisions. Do your own research. If you google "splenda" or "health benefits of splenda" or "splenda health issues" you should be able to find a ton of articles on both sides, both pro-splenda and anti-splenda. Become informed, make a decision, and feel free to re-evaluate that decision whenever you feel it is necessary.

Nobody else can answer this type of question for you, you've got to make the informed choice for yourself.
  • ZebraGlee78
    ZebraGlee78 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It depends. My view is that there are a lot of things in life that aren't good for us. It is all a matter of balancing things so that each of us is comfortable with our decisions. Do your own research. If you google "splenda" or "health benefits of splenda" or "splenda health issues" you should be able to find a ton of articles on both sides, both pro-splenda and anti-splenda. Become informed, make a decision, and feel free to re-evaluate that decision whenever you feel it is necessary.

Nobody else can answer this type of question for you, you've got to make the informed choice for yourself.

Really my point in asking this is I want to know how others feel about splenda. I am not going to make decisions based solely on what I read on here, I just use this place as a sounding board.
  • jennylynn84
    Options

Really my point in asking this is I want to know how others feel about splenda. I am not going to make decisions based solely on what I read on here, I just use this place as a sounding board.

Good for you. I personally use splenda and fake sugar. I don't have or see a problem with it and I don't really have the time, money or (admittedly) patience to go tracking down "natural" stuff.

Everyone has their soapbox, especially on MFP. For some its aspertame and sweeteners, for others its low-carb, or no fruits, or packaged meals, or HFCS, or whatever. You can't let their soapbox be your life.
  • eillamarie
    Options

I'll also use organic honey or a tsp of dark brown sugar. Really anything is better than artificial sweeteners lol However, I will admit on the rare occasion (maybe 1-3 times a month) that I get flavored syrup in my green tea fog or london fog (a tea bag in milk) I get sugar free and half the amount.
  • eillamarie
    Options
  • eillamarie
    Options

Good for you. I personally use splenda and fake sugar. I don't have or see a problem with it and I don't really have the time, money or (admittedly) patience to go tracking down "natural" stuff.

Everyone has their soapbox, especially on MFP. For some its aspertame and sweeteners, for others its low-carb, or no fruits, or packaged meals, or HFCS, or whatever. You can't let their soapbox be your life.

I commend you for making your own decisions! That's really what a healthy lifestyle is all about-making decisions that work best for you! However, I will warn you about consuming too many artificial sweeteners, I read an article where a middle-aged woman had a build up of too much in her system & she ended up almost dieing! The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong as she presented with MS symptoms, but no MS. She heard about the dangers of artificial sweeteners from her sister, stopped drinking diet pop, and her symptoms reversed immediately! So just make sure everything is in moderation :) That woman clearly consumed too much of it.