Mexican Lentil Stew - 283 calories per serving

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
Very yummy take on a lentil soup. I love lentils and I've been experimenting with them a bit lately when I get time. First a curried lentil soup (also posted here) and now this - Both were extremely yummy! This dish gets a bit spicier as the flavours meld together and having it the next day it was a bit spicy. If you don't like things too zippy, use less chipotle than I have used here.

Recipe altered from http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2009/12/mexican-lentil-stew-923-recipe-077.html

This is the exact recipe I made, based on what I had in my fridge/cupboard (we didn't have 2 full cups of lentil). Worked out wonderfully but you could easily increase the lentils or broth if you like!

Ingredients
1 3/4 cup dry red lentils, sorted and rinsed
3 1/2 cups water
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapeno peppers, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 28oz can diced tomatoes (PC blue menu no salt added)
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 Tbsp ancho chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
lime to taste

STEP 1: In a medium pot, bring the lentils and water to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn off the heat and let sit with a lid on for about 20 minutes.

STEP 2: While the lentils are cooking, begin the stew. Finely dice the onions and cook over medium heat in 2 tsp of olive oil. While the onions begin to cook, add the garlic and peppers to the pot.

STEP 3: Cook the onions, garlic and peppers until they are soft but not brown (or until they begin to dry out). Add the chili powder, turmeric and cumin and stir to coat. Then add the diced tomatoes, chipotle peppers and broth. Continue to cook over medium heat until stew reaches a simmer.

STEP 4: At this point, the lentils should have absorbed the water and become soft. Add the lentils and any remaining water to the soup mixture. Stir well.

STEP 5: Cook for 20 mins or so to let the flavours meld. Once cooked to your taste (the longer you cook, the more the lentils will break down - we cooked ours for about 20 mins), stir in the chopped cilantro. You can either add the juice of lime to the pot or serve the bowls of stew with a wedge of lime.

Makes 6 large servings (approx 1.5 cups each)

Per my ingredients:
Cal 283
Carbs 47
Fat 3
Protein 17
Fiber 20
Sodium 91 (will be more if you used other diced tomatoes)

We served this with 2 Tbsp of light sour cream and some grated light cheddar on the table, but it's great on it's own as well. You can also serve it with homemade corn tortilla chips baked in your oven for 10 mins or so. Enjoy!

Meag :heart:

Replies