Getting sick, and sticking to a diet?

Options
Does anyone have any tips for the above problem? Recently, last week I became very ill. So much so that I ended up in the hospital. My doctor thought I might have come down with mono again, although that does seem to be the case. (Thank God). Anyway.. I from last Wednesday, until this Wednesday, I was unable to eat anything on my diet. I mean I could barely eat at all, my tonsils were so swollen. What does everyone else do when they get sick? Also I couldn't workout either, for obvious reasons. I am back on track now, but I hated being off track at all.

And it seems as tho now I'll have to get my tonsils out in the next few months.. ouchhh.

Replies

• nikki91950
    Options
    If you're sick, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to follow a concrete calorie goal. Just eat what you can to keep your energy up and help your immune system. I don't get sick often, and when I do, it's only head colds, so not being able to eat or not being hungry to eat is never my problem. I did have my wisdom teeth out last year around this same time and had to be on soft foods for 3 or 4 days. Your illness will only last for a little while. You're young and still have the rest of your life to stick to your diet. You'll be okay! Oh, and sorry to hear about having to get your tonsils out. Almost sounds like tonsillitis? I had it once when I was younger and almost had to get mine taken out, too.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    well I got sick and didn't make it to the gym for 6 days... was in bed 3 days with sinus inf, body aches, headache... hubby ordered out instead of cooking..... I gained 4 lbs!!! it took me forever to lose it..... this morning the last lb disappeared....

sorry I have no advice except to take care of yourself...... don't order out as much as we did!!
    Hope you feel better soon!!
  • superjarrod1616
    superjarrod1616 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When you get sick, your body is burning alot of calories and energy to heal itself, when you work out really hard it suppresses your immune system, not a good combination if you are fighting off a virus or an infection. The days you are sick will not slow your progress enough to risk working out and as far as the diet Liquids are a big help, Protein, meal replacement, etc are great choices. Stay healthy my friend!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    when you're sick, you're sick. Just let you body heal. Fluids and rest are the most important part. But I will normally just eat what sounds good, otherwise I won't eat at all. The calorie counting will still be there when you are well!! Get well soon!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    When you're sick you should eat what you can to help your recovery but its like any time - if you put good stuff in your body while your sick, it will help you fight whatever bug you happen to get. So eating a yogurt in the morning is going to be better for and your recovery than grabbing a donut. Either way you're not doing a ton of prep work when you don't feel good but you have the opportunity to still make a good choice. Whether you do so is up to you.

As for working out, I don't recommend it. First - if you go to the gym and you have something contagious you spread it around and no one appreciates that. Second, you need to give your body plenty of rest and let focus on healing.

BTW, not a doctor or anything, just play one in my head. :laugh: :tongue: