want to build muscle but a bit nervous and confused

Options
So on April 1 of this year I decided to get into shape! I did consider it a healthy lifestyle change and not a diet.. I exercised alot and started eating healthy too. I have tracked my macros since the beginning focusing on low-carb, high protein and moderate fat. I successfully lost 45 pounds and 7 inches from my waistline and felt great????! My issue with this is my job (commercial masonry) is super tough day in and day out. I started feeling terrible-no energy at work and could barley get through the day... It still is like this to a certain extent.. My stats are 36 years old 5'8" and 130 lbs... You see my overall goal was a 6 pack and to lean out.. Well here I am probly around 11 or 12 percent body fat and my goals reached.. Now I'm focused on building muscle and raising energy levels. I currently started to increase calories using carbs b/c I think I'm at my protein\fat maximums.. My macros are p/c/f 190/298/70 I lift heavy as I can 3-4 days a week using a upper/lower split, and cardio a couple times a week. I used to eat only about 100 grams of carbs a day so I'm nervous about fat gain with so many more carbs, but hoping I will have increased energy?! Now onto the calorie surplus... I'm shooting for 250 extra a day but confused about workout days and non-workout days.. Do I add extra calories to my diet?? I currently use a polar h.r. Monitor and burn approximately 500-600 calories at the gym.. If I'm trying to gain do I eat those back?? If so what macros?? P/c/f ? My current tdee is (I think) 2350 a day.. Please any input would b greatly appreciated as im kinda tired of my friends telling me to eat something... Ha

Replies

• Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    The 500 - 600 calories in the gym... is that from cardio or weight lifting?
  • JohnnyyyBravooo
    Options
    2350 cals while bulking. Miscbrothersdidwarnmeaboutthisplace

That is only gonna get you noob gains unless you midget which you arent. Raise them to atleast 3k
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    First of all, great job achieving your first goals.

Now, regarding the energy 'problem'. I think that if you increase your carbohydrates and eat mostly complex carbohydrate foods (spread somewhat evenly throughout the day), your energy levels will definitely increase.

As for the fat increase, when eating a caloric surplus you will gain some fat. This is inevitable. Keep an eye on the mirror when you start this surplus regime. Next to a little fat, you will also gain muscle mass, and that is your goal ;).

Finally about the extra calories to eat. It depends on how you have calculated your TDEE. If you have already taken into account the high activity level (intensive job + working out 3-4 days a week + cardio!), you probably do not have to increase your calories on workout days (it should already be quite high with this amount of activity).
    If you did not take into account the activity level caused by the working out, you are probably best off by guestimating the calories burned by your weightlifting sessions (cardio is quite easilly trackable).

I've seen in your diary that your daily caloric goal is ~2640 kcal. This is probably too little to gain some muscle. My suggestion would be to eat back calories from the workouts that you do (and perhaps even increase the daily goal).

Conclusion: keep an eye on the scale and the mirror, track and if needed re-adjust your caloric goals.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Get a book to work from. Its usually less confusing.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Lol oh yeah the fountain of knowledge, shame you can't neg on here...that site is 85% of guys up their own *kitten*.
  • JohnnyyyBravooo
    Options

Lol oh yeah the fountain of knowledge, shame you can't neg on here...that site is 85% of guys up their own *kitten*.

You just mad because they kicked you out.
  • didas1
    didas1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The 500-600 hundred calories is from lifting..
  • JohnnyyyBravooo
    Options
    The 500-600 hundred calories is from lifting..

Eat 3k cals O.P whats your protein intake??
  • didas1
    Options
    2350 is my tree.. I'm starting at about 2650 a day.. U think that is still too little?
  • didas1
    Options
    P\c\f 190/295/70
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Lol typical nonsensical post!
  • JohnnyyyBravooo
    Options

Lol typical nonsensical post!

Playing along or **** got srs?