Wine?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I know we all like it and I certainly have a weakness for the stuff, but at the end of the day - it just doesn't agree...

Last night I opened a bottle, this was after a whole week of abstinence. Of course - I had to finish it, can't have just half of bottle laying around can we? Think of the children.

Today - whilst no hangover, I just have not much energy.

Conclusion - stop with the wine completely:(

If you feel you HAVE to drink the whole bottle then yes, stopping all together is probably a good idea.
  • BobT84721
    Options
    I take it you are on this site to lose weight. Right? Wine has a calorie count of about 125 per 5 oz. glass. A pound of weight is around 3200 calories. S, you can look at it couple of ways. A 32 oz. bottle of wine equals 800 calories. One bottle a day equals 24000 calories or 7 and a half pounds. One 5 oz. glass a day would be about 3750 calories or about 1 and a quarter pounds per month. So, I would say a glass a night or none. By the way, I'm a Scotch drinker and buy the best I can possibly afford with a limit of 2 oz. once or twice a week. It's that or don't lose weight. I also eat too much when I drink. Bob T:huh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I take it you are on this site to lose weight. Right? Wine has a calorie count of about 125 per 5 oz. glass. A pound of weight is around 3200 calories. S, you can look at it couple of ways. A 32 oz. bottle of wine equals 800 calories. One bottle a day equals 24000 calories or 7 and a half pounds. One 5 oz. glass a day would be about 3750 calories or about 1 and a quarter pounds per month. So, I would say a glass a night or none. By the way, I'm a Scotch drinker and buy the best I can possibly afford with a limit of 2 oz. once or twice a week. It's that or don't lose weight. I also eat too much when I drink. Bob T:huh:
    Different wines vary according to calorie amount, but sure, some bottles probably have 800 calories.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

That's why I exercise more on drinking days.
    I won't gain, since I fit it into my macros.

79a.gif
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Wine in cans? Sounds a bit American/Australian to me;)

I think though - portion control really is the issue. You'd think at 45 I'd be able to manage it by now wouldn't you:)
    I'm american and I can't fathom cans. Perhaps she's speaking of the new recyclable containers? There are a few decent ones out. And they do make a 3 glass version. :-) I'm good the next day as long as there's only THREE glasses. The fourth and I'm useless the next day. Just tired. No hang over.

Yeah. I buy either a half sized bottle of a nice Italian red wine or the small 3 bottle piccolo pack of a yummy sparkling white wine. And I still end up saying innappropriate things in the forums. :blushing:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    So glad the DW and I don't like wine. And I live in a wine making city!!! I have wine stored for guests, but last time I drank some was a sip for a toast at a reception.

Just for info: alcohol inhibits fat burning. So if a lot of one's calories is committed to alcohol, it may impede how weight loss from fat is going.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I've read this before, yes. What I understand is the body it burns it first, and won't burn other "things" til it's gone. Is that the story?
    Correct. Unlike other macros (though alcohol really doesn't fit into a true "carb" category) it can't be stored so it's metabolized until it's out of the body. So one of the worst times one could drink it is before going to bed because body fat is the main energy source used at rest, unless of course you had alcohol in your system.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jayeffbee41
    Options
    Have to agree - I love wine and would happily drink a bottle for the taste not because it's alcohol. I buy a bottle and pour it into those smaller wine bottles to portion control it. Appreciate it will cost a little more at first to buy a few small bottles to enjoy and keep but you have the portion control then. Plus if you pour it right to the brim you can't use the excuse that you have to drink it because it will go off - it keeps perfectly!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I know we all like it and I certainly have a weakness for the stuff, but at the end of the day - it just doesn't agree...

Last night I opened a bottle, this was after a whole week of abstinence. Of course - I had to finish it, can't have just half of bottle laying around can we? Think of the children.

If you feel you HAVE to drink the whole bottle then yes, stopping all together is probably a good idea.
    That's what you got out of that?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

You must be fun at parties.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

You must be fun at parties.

:huh:
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have wine near nightly, and I buy the little cans of it - portion control, right there. If I have a bottle, I'll tend to drink the whole thing too. It's not even because it's alcohol, I just like the taste.

There are CANS of wine?! I never knew.

I have a bottle of Merlot for tonight.

Over the past several weeks, I've cut down on wine and beer to only the weekends or other nights where I don't have to get up and going early the next day. It works for me and hasn't affected my weight loss/maintenance.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options

I think though - portion control really is the issue. You'd think at 45 I'd be able to manage it by now wouldn't you:)

Sorry, but the official serving size of wine is "one bottle".
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I know it's crazy but perhaps drink less than a whole bottle?
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I don't drink Alcohol now unless i'm going out to dinner or if friends/family come round for dinner.
    And even then, i drink about 1/2 the amount of what i used to.
    I'd rather eat more food, instead of using those cals on drink to be honest.
  • killervogel5
    killervogel5 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Never seen American wine in a can... never seen wine in a can, period, anywhere in the US.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I love wine. Red, white, cava, champagne. Yum.

It is scary how many calories are in a glass when I come to filling in my food diary. : :drinker:

Just heading off out to the pub now - but I bet I can't stick to just the one.. :blushing:

No run plannned for tomorrow. It does affect my running for sure- not fair !!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    So glad the DW and I don't like wine. And I live in a wine making city!!! I have wine stored for guests, but last time I drank some was a sip for a toast at a reception.

Just for info: alcohol inhibits fat burning. So if a lot of one's calories is committed to alcohol, it may impede how weight loss from fat is going.

IDEA Fitness member
    I've read this before, yes. What I understand is the body it burns it first, and won't burn other "things" til it's gone. Is that the story?
    Correct. Unlike other macros (though alcohol really doesn't fit into a true "carb" category) it can't be stored so it's metabolized until it's out of the body. So one of the worst times one could drink it is before going to bed because body fat is the main energy source used at rest, unless of course you had alcohol in your system.

IDEA Fitness member
    Is there anything else we ingest that can't be stored?
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    If I want a whole bottle of wine then I'll plan it into my week. I'm not a frequent drinker but when I want to enjoy it I'll make room for it. Let's face it, no matter what time you drink it, or what type you're drinking, it's not exactly healthy, but then neither is cake! :drinker: and I make room for that too. :love: (Don't judge me:noway: )
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Well, look from a positive side of things... at least you're lucky that you are not a whiskey lover.
    I'm a whiskey lover... can't do the wine thing.... I like it, but too much sugar or something... just give me my whiskey, neat, everyday....
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I buy either a half sized bottle of a nice Italian red wine or the small 3 bottle piccolo pack of a yummy sparkling white wine. And I still end up saying innappropriate things in the forums. :blushing:

Lol!!! Yeah... my whiskey doesn't mess with my running, but certainly nails me here... its like unfiltered truth serum...