Question! Legs!

Options
I have been walking and/or doing the elliptical for approx. 5 months out of this 6 month journey. Started out barely able to moazie for 20 minutes, & now I can and have done up to 4.5 miles per hour for half an hour and 3.5 to 4.0 for an hour-2hours stretches. I throw in a little jogging when the ground is level. (My area is super hilly & I mean biggish hills). I'm wondering, is it normal for my legs (especially my shins) to feel sore everyday? I do push myself, and make sure I work up a sweat and am a tiny bit outta breath every time, but after this amount of time should my legs still hurt as if I'd been doing a hard leg workout with weights when I haven't? I am 243 lbs, so with that weight maybe it IS like I'm lifting weights? I dunno, That's why I'm asking. Oh and I walk pretty much every single day. I Maybe take a break because I don't have time or whatever about once every couple of weeks. I'll be 40 in a couple of months Geez I hope I don't have arthritis!

Replies

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    "Normal" I have no idea but I can tell you that I have been power walking for 6 months now and my left shin still gives me problems. I bought compression sleeves and they have helped. I prefer to wear them after a walk. I wrap my left shin for my walks and it still hurts and goes numb. I have tried rest days and I do exercises for the shins but I ain't gonna lie it can be bothersome.I hope that maybe after a little more time it just stops if not I will continue to walk through the discomfort,

I am eager to read what others have done or suggest.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's not abnormal. I'd say you have shin splints. Try icing them for about 20 minutes a day. Also to stretch them out, sit or stand and point your toe toward the floor and write the alphabet a few times.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Yep! My shins are worst when I run. But with proper stretching you can prevent it.
    Do calf stretches - go up to a wall and brace your toes on one foot against it. Lean into the stretch a bit and keep your leg straight.
    Do shin stretches - do foot circles - 10 - 20 in each direction for each foot. Try spelling the alphabet with your toes and your name.

It'll take a bit of time to go away since you already have the soreness, but doing these stretches after a 5 minute warmup and after your exercises will help prevent once it goes away.
  • alydar42
    alydar42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a classic case of chin splints. Make sure you are stretching the calf and lower leg muscles before and after your walk/jogs and occasionally throughout the day. Sometimes putting ice on the chins helps too (20 min 2x a day) helps too. Also, get a new pair of running/walking shoes if you didn't before you started. Depending on how much you use the shoes, the shock absorption breaks down and can cause 'sore legs.'
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am just surprised this still happens after doing it for so long. It seems to not be as bad WHILE I'm exercising so I'm able to ignore it. It's always after & the next morning. I admittedly don't stretch. I will start!
  • baxterroxy
    baxterroxy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Are you doing interval training on the elliptical? It is more effective to do intervals then to do a constant pace on the elliptical, you will burn more calories and tone your muscles quicker.