Fat burning pills???

Options
Has anyone else considered this? And if you have, did you have much luck with it?

Right now I am contemplating between Hydroxycut and Xenedrine.

Now... I know that these are not "cure-all, miracle" pills. I am seeing this as more of a jump start. I have taken a prescription supplement in the past that REALLY worked well for me and I loved being on it. Unfortunately I lost my insurance and had to stop taking it. Now I am not expecting prescription type results with an over-the-counter fat burner, just wanted to make that clear.

I diet and I workout daily. Just need that extra "umph" to keep it going. Thought I should also add... I have been working out and dieting faithfully for months... with no results at all. None. I have changed up my workouts and tried different things. I have had no change whatsoever. I just need something to get me started.

Would anyone like to give some advice or weigh in here? I really appreciate it. Thanks!

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the diet pills. You don't need a jump start. Do you like throwing money away??? Eat at a reasonable deficit, continue exercising, and have patience.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My theory is, if my doc has never recommended it to me it either doesn't work, is not safe, or both.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just no...

This won't end well....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    SHUT+UP+AND+GIVE+ME+YOUR+MONEY.+Give+him+what_cc935c_4087231.jpg
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    The only thing they will slim is your bank account...
  • Nny_Dead
    Nny_Dead Posts: 13
    Options
    I work in the medical field.

Actually pharmaceutical companies showed research papers which indicated that side effects of a prescription drug, Adipex... were worse than those of Hydroxycut since they reformulated the drug. I had taken Adipex in the past with good results. I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience to compare for me to make a decision.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    They aren't FDA approved, and there's no studies out there that prove that pills advertised as fat burners have any positive effect on weight loss. I also would avoid them just because you have no idea what's in them, or what they may do to your body; that's why there was huge controversy around ephedra in diet pills so long ago!

I would avoid them just to be safe..and not only that, you can use your money on other things to aid you in reaching your goals. Like new shoes, or towards a gym membership.
  • Jill_with_a_G
    Jill_with_a_G Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Nny, you asked a question and got an answer. What's to delete an account over that? Can't always get the answer you want I guess. That's not what this site is about so maybe there is another that will be better for you.

Good Luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "fat burning" pills regardless of the supplement industry advertises. There are pills that suppress appetite and stimulate your nervous system (releasing adrenaline) giving one a temporary "energy" boost.

But NONE of them work if you're eating more than you need to.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Wow... I just asked a question. Helped make my decision to delete this account.

Thanks

tumblr_m6cilw18Y31r71jmuo1_500.gif
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I took Xenadrine for a while, back when I was at my highest weight ever of 400 lbs and had "tried everything" (meaning I'd hoped, and prayed, and fantasized about losing weight, but never actually busted my bum to do anything about it). It had zero effect. Nothing positive, and as far as I could tell, nothing negative. I definitely wouldn't do anything like that again and would encourage others not to either. There is no magic pill. Put in the effort, and you'll lose weight.
  • Nny_Dead
    Options
    Thank you for responding.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    One more thing; get a food scale! It helped me realize I was over/underlogging certain things, and my food diaries weren't accurate. If you're stalling, it's possible that you're eating more than you think you are. The scale really helps with that.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it. I've never tried any type of diet pill but I have friends who've used both hydroxycut and exedrine and while they did lose some weight, they felt horrible in the process. Headaches, heart palpitations, diarrhea, etc. Didn't seem like it was worth it.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    If a diet pill were the be all end all, would we still have overweight celebrities?

Oprah would be the healthiest (skinniest) ever if it was that easy.

Calories. Count them, eat all the food, make them fit into your calories and macros, stay at a deficit.
    In time you will lose weight.

You didn't gain the weight over night, don't expect to lose it over night.

Read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

ETA - if you haven't lost or gained weight, you have been eating at your maintanence calories, cut back a bit try that out.
    Do you have a food scale? Weigh everything.
    Weightloss happens in the kitchen, the gym and exercise is for health. ( also helps create a deficit)
  • Nny_Dead
    Options
    I was working with a trainer who was very in my face about things. Measured my caloric intake and managed everything. After 5 months working with him... no change. At all. At first we thought maybe the scales were defective. But we replaced them and still the same. I thought there was something wrong with me so I went to see my doctor and found nothing wrong.

I understand no one drops weight overnight. But who works their a** of for 6 months and had no change at all? This is my underlying problem.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I was working with a trainer who was very in my face about things. Measured my caloric intake and managed everything. After 5 months working with him... no change. At all. At first we thought maybe the scales were defective. But we replaced them and still the same. I thought there was something wrong with me so I went to see my doctor and found nothing wrong.

I understand no one drops weight overnight. But who works their a** of for 6 months and had no change at all? This is my underlying problem.

How many calories and what exercise routine were you doing?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Someone who eats at there maintanence calories. I think you have a problem of eating more than you think you do....I had the same problem so bought a food scale. Now i weigh everything i eat. (unless eating at a restaurant)
  • Nny_Dead
    Options
    We switched things up a few times because of no change. He is a professional and every one of his clients had nothing but wonderful things to say about him. So I trusted him judgement. Eventually he and I both gave up. That is the only reason why I even considered taking anything again. It is so frustrating to diet, and work hard every single day... to have nothing happen.