Socks Recommendation: Deadlifts

Options
So, this:
piUNtjrmoXlCuaRrwdXkmuBtfzoCWMVDmiPN-610xh.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good pair of socks that would cover my shin?

I used to skate and boy this hurts more than you can imagine. (Shin burrs from the skateboard flipping up into them.)

Replies

• rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I cover my shins with knee sleeves when I deadlift - just regular nike ones from when I used to play bball....but dollar store calf sleeves (the ones with a little bit of thickness) would do just fine
  • Ripfit138
    Ripfit138 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    This.

1231_fox.jpg

Bad *kitten*. heh
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This.

1231_fox.jpg

Bad *kitten*. heh

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<Was just looking into this and I found a shirt that is now too big soo I did this!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I just use the cheap 3 for $10 ones from Ardene's. Haven't managed to scratch myself up through them despite having destroyed a few pairs.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Im a barefoot kind of girl, so i just wear long workout pants.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Soccer socks. It's the only thing worth knowing about soccer.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I always wear these on deadlift day (which I wish was every day!)
    e44ac4e81cd7e5ed1ced2875760aafd4.jpg

I wear running tights and then those over the top of them. I don't get scraped shins now.
  • SrsGainzOnThisGuy
    Options
    use bare feet so I smell the gym out
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    long pants or knee socks. if i forget and wear capris with ankle socks then so be it. my shins are all banged, bruised and scarred up from years of dead lifting, being cleated, failed box jumps, etc i dont even feel the bar anymore when i wear short pants :laugh:
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I wear VFF's but when my shins need protection, I have a pair of knee length Carhartt insulated work socks that I have cut the foot end off of, thus making a shin sleeve of sorts.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I'll see what works best for me. //m
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I used just soccer socks but still pulled the scabs and bled through the socks. I don't care so much about the bleeding myself but I prefer to be polite and keep it off the bar. Narrowing my stance helped by keeping the calf inside the knurling and my lift went up as well.

I bought the McDavid calf sleeves and they have eliminated the problem.

441R_M.jpg
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i wear sweat pant or track pants on dead lift day.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I know pulling the bar close is important- but perhaps just not pulling SO close? I mean- close is good- but it's not a crisis that you hsave yourself every lift.

otherwise- when I'm feeling like I need them- I just get tall socks from Target.

but I feel like I need the badass ones.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I wear vibrams when I do deads but also wear the Nike Pro Compression full length pants under my shorts (I wear braces on both legs which it helps with the braces rubbing sores on my legs) and this pretty much solves any rubbing skin off my shins too... lol Best of Luck
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I suggest two.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    I know pulling the bar close is important- but perhaps just not pulling SO close? I mean- close is good- but it's not a crisis that you hsave yourself every lift.

otherwise- when I'm feeling like I need them- I just get tall socks from Target.

but I feel like I need the badass ones.
    I hear you. I normally keep a little distance, but it happens and then I have all the skate damage I did to my shins too.

If I got the bad *kitten* ones I might have to complete the outfit and go in full Road Warrior mode. "Just walk away...."
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have some camo snake chaps, im pretty sure theyd do the trick.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    I bought the McDavid calf sleeves and they have eliminated the problem.

441R_M.jpg
    Picked this up the other day and will be trying it out tomorrow. Last time, I left some skin and blood on the bar which I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. The pain and boo boo aside I rather not do that to the bar and other gym goers. I also picked up a pair of knee highs. Target!

From McDavid I now own:

- Patella Knee Brace
    - Elbow brace
    - Calf Sleeve

You're welcome very much McDavid USA.