SUPPLEMENTS AND WEIGHT LOSS PILLS!

Options
Hi guys,

So im starting to take my training very seriously now :) I want to look like Paige Hathaway haha! ;)

I'm currently finding protein which is right for me, and i have my training routine which is perfect :) but i have some questions about other kinds of supplements such as multi vitamins, weight loss pills, tea detox (such as bootea and tinytea) metabolism boosters, skin firming lotions and celulite gel as well as body brushing and tanning?!

I was wondering if any of you use the above supplements or anything? and if so what is, how do you use it and is it good for you?

Thanks!

Tiffany :) xx

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin (children's chewables, lol, for real) and just one serving of protein powder a day ("regular" stuff from WalMart, nothing fancy either). Other than that as extra dietary "insurance", everything I need comes from regular food.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

So im starting to take my training very seriously now :) I want to look like Paige Hathaway haha! ;)

I'm currently finding protein which is right for me, and i have my training routine which is perfect :) but i have some questions about other kinds of supplements such as multi vitamins, weight loss pills, tea detox (such as bootea and tinytea) metabolism boosters, skin firming lotions and celulite gel as well as body brushing and tanning?!

I was wondering if any of you use the above supplements or anything? and if so what is, how do you use it and is it good for you?

Thanks!

Tiffany :) xx
    I don't know who Paige is, but wish you luck there. :)

SUPPLEMENTS: If you're actually LOW on something and the doctor tells you to take a supplement, you may begin to feel a difference in your energy or clear-headedness or whatever.

If you don't need a supplement, your body will either store it or send it out you body. It won't do you ANY good at all because it is not doing anything except being excreted or stored away. Just a huge waste of money.

A multivitamin is good if you don't eat a balanced diet, which almost nobody does. (It'd be a full-time job.)

WEIGHT LOSS PILLS: the only ones that work have rotten side effects and some are dangerous.

SKIN TREATMENTS - do not work. Those creams are scams and a waste of money.

DETOX / FLUSHING - is not necessary and can be dangerous as heck.

Eat healthy food, don't eat too much and exercise. It's old, it's boring. It's not new, exciting, proactive, based on some study or keeping up with current trends. But it works,

Eat well and exercise. And get some fresh air when you can. (I made this up and believe that one day the science will follow, but feel free to ignore it!)
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    Options
    Hi Tiffany!

Congratulations on taking your training more seriously and I am sure you'll end up looking like Paige Hathaway in no time!

As for your question, I think the key there is what you just said, you'll have to find out what's right for you. However here is my 10,000 foot overview on answering your questions;

Supplements - I would recommend that you get your blood tested to find out what you're deficient on. Personally I chose to eat plant-based, so I take a plant-based supplement to ensure I am not missing any key nutrients my body needs. You and your body might be completely different as if your blood type is O you might be missing Vit B, Kelp, and licorice root and if you're A you might be missing methylcobalamin. To really find out, get your blood tested and see what you need!

Side note on supplements - I am a huge fan of probiotics. I believe that they can really help with digestion, immune system, and weight loss. I recommend fresh probiotics, ones that need to be refrigerated.

Weight loss pills - There is really no need for such a thing if you are eating right, keep your activity up, and making sensible choices. Currently, the only FDA approved weight loss pill that is sold over-the-counter is Alli. Alli does have numerous side effects and also requires you to limit your caloric intake.

Teas - Of course there is no FDA approved recommendation on drinking any teas for weight loss however many individuals, my clients included, have found great results in incorporating healthy teas into their diet. Some of them are; kombucha, bilberry, oolong, green, rose, hibiscus, and yerba mate. Experiment what works for you. Personally I regularly drink and brew my own kombucha.

Metabolism boosters - One word, detox! I've never seen a more effective way to jumpstart your metabolism than detoxing. There are many detox programs available. Find the ones that work for you, your lifestyle, and won't make you feel starved. I detox every quarter to keep my body and metabolism efficient.

Skin Firm - There are numerous products on the market. If you are looking for a full body skin firming lotion without harsh chemicals, the Environmental Working Group shows that Avalon Organics CoQ10 is the safest bet with the best results (based on customer reviews). I've personally used the lotion and have received results when I use it on a regular basis.

Body Brush - Purchase a dry brush off Amazon, only cost a few dollars. There's one with a wooden handle that works really nice.

Tanning - Best to keep this to the outdoors. There are no safe ways to tan without subjecting yourself to risks of chemicals or long-term damage. Using the sun in moderation and taking all the necessary precautions is the best way to get the tan that you want.

I hope that you find all this information useful. Feel free to hit me up if you'd like to discuss in more detail. I wish you the best in your journey!
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt to take a multivitamin with B-vitamins, since they help convert food into more free energy. Some multivitamins can make you ill though, so be careful. My friend recommended I take a pre-natal just for girl health, made me so sick. Same goes for multivitamins for girls, I had the same problem. Something in it doesn't work for me, so I take gummi vitamins, which may not have whatever made me sick or a way lower quantity.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt to take a multivitamin with B-vitamins, since they help convert food into more free energy. Some multivitamins can make you ill though, so be careful. My friend recommended I take a pre-natal just for girl health, made me so sick. Same goes for multivitamins for girls, I had the same problem. Something in it doesn't work for me, so I take gummi vitamins, which may not have whatever made me sick or a way lower quantity.
    If you take a normal mvn with food, even a little food, you will probably not get sick. :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

I hope that you find all this information useful. Feel free to hit me up if you'd like to discuss in more detail. I wish you the best in your journey!
    No Spamming on the forum Please!

From Simple Steps Coach's profile:

"I created Simple Steps ...."
    14. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising

a) You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. This includes, but is not limited to; posts that contain links to offsite blog posts and social media. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Nope. The only supplement I take is vitamin D for a tested and documented deficiency.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Side note on supplements - I am a huge fan of probiotics. I believe that they can really help with digestion, immune system, and weight loss. I recommend fresh probiotics, ones that need to be refrigerated.
    . Buttermilk is an EXCELLENT "probiotic" that uses refrigeration. Yogurt is really good, too. But nobody actually needs to increase the bacteria in their gut unless the doctors killed it off...and the doctors know when they're doing that and will prescribe a Culturelle or something.
    Metabolism boosters - One word, detox! I've never seen a more effective way to jumpstart your metabolism than detoxing. There are many detox programs available. Find the ones that work for you, your lifestyle, and won't make you feel starved. I detox every quarter to keep my body and metabolism efficient.
    This is completely unnecessary. Your body came equipped to detoxify itself and was ridding itself of toxins long before you knew what the word meant. If your body can't do it, you need a doctor to help, not some ridiculous (and often dangerous) cleanse. Jump start, my butt.
    Tanning - Best to keep this to the outdoors. There are no safe ways to tan without subjecting yourself to risks of chemicals or long-term damage. Using the sun in moderation and taking all the necessary precautions is the best way to get the tan that you want.
    . With few exceptions, tanning does not good and can harm you, as well.

There is more false info in that post, but Yikes, some is seriously, dangerously wrong.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiffany!

Congratulations on taking your training more seriously and I am sure you'll end up looking like Paige Hathaway in no time!

As for your question, I think the key there is what you just said, you'll have to find out what's right for you. However here is my 10,000 foot overview on answering your questions;

Supplements - I would recommend that you get your blood tested to find out what you're deficient on. Personally I chose to eat plant-based, so I take a plant-based supplement to ensure I am not missing any key nutrients my body needs. You and your body might be completely different as if your blood type is O you might be missing Vit B, Kelp, and licorice root and if you're A you might be missing methylcobalamin. To really find out, get your blood tested and see what you need!

Weight loss pills - There is really no need for such a thing if you are eating right, keep your activity up, and making sensible choices. Currently, the only FDA approved weight loss pill that is sold over-the-counter is Alli. Alli does have numerous side effects and also requires you to limit your caloric intake.

Teas - Of course there is no FDA approved recommendation on drinking any teas for weight loss however many individuals, my clients included, have found great results in incorporating healthy teas into their diet. Some of them are; kombucha, bilberry, oolong, green, rose, hibiscus, and yerba mate. Experiment what works for you. Personally I regularly drink and brew my own kombucha.

Skin Firm - There are numerous products on the market. If you are looking for a full body skin firming lotion without harsh chemicals, the Environmental Working Group shows that Avalon Organics CoQ10 is the safest bet with the best results (based on customer reviews). I've personally used the lotion and have received results when I use it on a regular basis.

Body Brush - Purchase a dry brush off Amazon, only cost a few dollars. There's one with a wooden handle that works really nice.

No!!!

+1
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Supplements I take and personally believe are effective (for me!) multivitamin, fish oil, extra C and b complex everyday. branch chain amino acids (bcaas) and protein shake on the days that I work out. All of which you can find at multiple drugstores or nutrition stores. Be very wary about supplements that you have to buy through reps or coaches.

I don't tan and *try* to wear sunblock daily. I've never tried cellutlite creams or skin firming gels. Lifting seems to take care of that for me. I do use body scrubs occasionally to exfoliate my skin and use jergens lotion to moisturize. I also make sure to properly hydrate. I don't do cleanses or detoxes. If I'm feeling crappy I just clean up my diet, (especially after the holidays and I gorge myself on turkey). I enjoy a mug of hot decaf tea at night, but only to relax.

I think that covers everything.
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    Options

a) You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. This includes, but is not limited to; posts that contain links to offsite blog posts and social media. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc.

Great, removed that line since you felt it was an ad. I felt it was part of my story. Cheers and have a great weekend!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Great, removed that line since you felt it was an ad. I felt it was part of my story. Cheers and have a great weekend!
    Quite actually your user name, your ticker and part of your profile is advertisement. So removing a word or two on a thread really doesn't matter that much at this point.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Quite actually your user name, your ticker and part of your profile is advertisement. So removing a word or two on a thread really doesn't matter that much at this point.

Still waiting to hear his science about detoxes.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Nope. The only supplement I take is vitamin D for a tested and documented deficiency.

I'm taking D3 and B12, for deficiencies noted in my bloodwork at my recent physical. I also take fish oil capsules and a probiotic, though I could probably discontinue that one now that I eat 170g yogurt daily.
  • TiffanyJayneH
    Options
    Thanks for your input guys, i really appreciate it and have took everything into consideration :)

Things i bought were:
    PHD Diet Whey protein in Chocolate Peanut (yummy!) -never tried this before so it should be interesting!
    Some Multi-Vitamins (basic) just to maintain well being.
    I've also bought a range of teas just to try (such as dandelion) which ive never tried before either!
    and some various home workout bits and pieces such as a weighted hulahoop (sassy!!) and a skipping rope purely for a little bit of fun in between lifting haha! :)

The slightly taboo things i have purchased are the Nutrex Lipo-6 CLA Capsules (a fat burner) and i'm trying the bootea detox 14 day tea detox selection of day and night. I'm a bit dubious myself on these products but I will let you all know how i get on if you are interested in a week or so :) Many thanks for the kind wishes of good luck! Hopefully my new training programme will have me ripped in no time!! :D

Thanks again!
    Tiffany xx
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input guys, i really appreciate it and have took everything into consideration :)

Things i bought were:
    PHD Diet Whey protein in Chocolate Peanut (yummy!) -never tried this before so it should be interesting!
    I've also bought a range of teas just to try (such as dandelion) which ive never tried before either!
    and some various home workout bits and pieces such as a weighted hulahoop (sassy!!) and a skipping rope purely for a little bit of fun in between lifting haha! :)

The slightly taboo things i have purchased are the Nutrex Lipo-6 CLA Capsules (a fat burner) and i'm trying the bootea detox 14 day tea detox selection of day and night. I'm a bit dubious myself on these products but I will let you all know how i get on if you are interested in a week or so :) Many thanks for the kind wishes of good luck! Hopefully my new training programme will have me ripped in no time!! :D

Thanks again!
    Tiffany xx

So you basically ignored all of the advice given and wasted your money anyway. Fantastic.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Things i bought were:

Thanks again!
    Tiffany xx
    Not the sharpest tool in the tool shed. Or a spammer.