treadmill to outside running ?

Options
Hi i run on my treadmill i do between 3k-5k a day, i was wondering would it be as easy to go from treadmill to running outside or is it not the same. I want to take up running but a bit nerves as ive never been able to run but now i can but dont want to look silly. Any advise welcome

Replies

• ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It depends. Will it be harder to run outside or on treadmill depends from what kind of runs you do, is it just a jog for calorie burn or are you training for time and speed, how windy it is outside, what kind of terrain is outside and of course mental aspect of getting bored by one more than another. You need to try it and see what you like best. There is no "this is harder than that" answer. But most likely, unless it's very hilly and windy beach, it will be pretty much the same as treadmill. It might even be slightly easier. There is a difference but it is very tiny, you might not even notice it.

One thing for sure tho, if you are not looking silly on treadmill you won't look silly running outside. And if somebody stops you and tell you that you look silly, just run away from them!
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Running outside is actually slightly more difficult than a treadmill but It is much healthier! This is because on a treadmill you dont need much forward motion while running because the belt takes care of that but outside you are to only force moving your legs. It is better for your joints and actually less impact! So go for it! enjoy the run
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi i run on my treadmill i do between 3k-5k a day, i was wondering would it be as easy to go from treadmill to running outside or is it not the same. I want to take up running but a bit nerves as ive never been able to run but now i can but dont want to look silly. Any advise welcome

Running outside is physically harder and first time you will want to give up before you reach your 3k, plod on though, treadmill running is much more difficult mentality than outdoors
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I found it hard as it turns out I take a different stride on the treadmill than I do outside. So I would suggest just starting slow and taking it easy. I do prefer outside though
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I think it is harder to run outside than on a treadmill indoors. You can always try both and see which one you prefer more. I like running outdoors as there is always a different path to take and more scenery.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Running outdoors is physically harder and more demanding...and also far more enjoyable than being a rat on a wheel.

It's just like anything though...go out and do it and it gets easier. If you're running 5Ks on a dreadmill then there's not reason you can't move things outside.

Also, despite what so many people seem to think, nobody cares...nobody is watching you and thinking to themselves, "hey...that person looks silly." People are far too self absorbed for this to be a valid concern.