Minimalist bulking diet

Options
I'm too poor right now to afford whatever foods I want. However, I still want to put on some muscle even though supplements such as whey protein and such are completely out of the question for me. As such, I'm going to have a difficult time getting to my calorie and protein goals.

To compromise, I want to buy as few different types of food as possible so I can save money by buying in bulk. So what I want to know is what foods do you all think are near essential for putting on muscle? What could I absolutely not do without since I'm not getting supplements?

I figure fish and beans are good places to start and I know where I can get both cheaply. Milk and eggs seems pretty obvious as well. Should I consider anything else?

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yep those are great, how about chicken and cottage cheese?
  • Ludonaut
    Options
    I'm cooking some chicken tonight that I got for $1.39/lb. Foreign food markets are great.
    Cottage cheese, I don't know about all that much. Never really liked it. Don't hate it either, though, so I might look into it

My main concern here is that I'm not going to be getting enough fiber or micronutrients since I'll be cutting out most vegetables to save money. The beans make up for that somewhat, but they won't cover everything...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Vegetables don't have to be expensive. Look for sales, buy in-season, or buy frozen. Peas, greens, and potatoes are good sources of fiber. Greek yogurt is a great source of protein, look for full-fat generic brands to save money.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is cheap and high in protein, but if you don't like it fair enough!

IDK where you are, but here the supermarkets will really drop prices on things like veg when the sell by date is running short and can get some really good bargains, these are usually early evening. Or altenatively do you have fruit/veg markets nearby, these are always cheaper than the shops.
  • kwmarissa
    kwmarissa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter!!!!!:drinker:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, bread, potatoes, pasta, chicken, full fat milk, beans... Buy in bulk.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is actually a pretty cheap source of protein. The only cheaper ones I see are dry beans in bulk. Beans do provide a lot of fiber, and you could easily hit your fiber goal with them. Generic frozen vegetables aren't that expensive and should help with the fiber and nutrients. Plus they keep for a good amount of time. Fruit in season is another great source. Peaches and grapes are $1/lb currently.

Simple staples, like the ones mentioned above, are going to be the cheapest and easiest way of getting enough calories for a bulk.

Price/gram of protein for different foods:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/protein-sources/
    http://www.allthingsgym.com/cost-per-grams-of-protein-spreadsheet/
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You need carbs to grow and carbs are cheap (sweet potatoes and white rice are my staples)

I slam white rice with honey post workout, and eat sweet potatoes with other meals. Chicken Breast in Bulk will be your friend and you may consider Ground Turkey and Talapia for other sources of protein. If whey protein is in your diet I would limit it to no more than two of your meals.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    For bulking purposes, caloric surplus is primary.

Regarding protein, during bulk, you can get by fine with 0.6 gr - 0.8 gr / pound of body weight...

Carbs are the best option for bulking......

Rice, potatoes, gummie bears......
    Fruit/veggies are inferior sources of carbs, so include in your diet, yes....but should not be used as a "bulking" food.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Basmati rice you can buy huge bags for less than 10 bucks, protein not previously listed Cans of Tuna!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are in the world, but I find whey to be a relatively cheap source of protein (bearing in mind the number of servings you get in a pack). That said, if you want to conserve money, I would avoid, expensive, flavoured whey mixes and opt for the no-frills basic whey (your body does not care) and flavour it yourself with hot chocolate powder or cocoa or vanilla extract (that you buy for baking)...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I slam white rice with honey post workout,

I feel like I'm on bodybuilding.com circa 2005
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I'm too poor right now to afford whatever foods I want. However, I still want to put on some muscle even though supplements such as whey protein and such are completely out of the question for me. As such, I'm going to have a difficult time getting to my calorie and protein goals.

To compromise, I want to buy as few different types of food as possible so I can save money by buying in bulk. So what I want to know is what foods do you all think are near essential for putting on muscle? What could I absolutely not do without since I'm not getting supplements?

I figure fish and beans are good places to start and I know where I can get both cheaply. Milk and eggs seems pretty obvious as well. Should I consider anything else?

whey protein is pretty cheap? Especially the stuff at Wal-Mart