I think I might cry

Options
13»

Replies

• RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Yes, I've had the same experience. Food I used to love just doesn't taste good. I can feel all the fat in my mouth and it isn't a good feeling. Candy bars just taste sweet -- no other flavor -- so I don't eat them any more. Not even tempted when I'm hungry and standing in line at the grocery store next to the candy display.

I've found other stuff I like, still not a healthy eater as such, but better than before.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your tastes change, as you get more used to certain tastes and less to others. Sometimes it's a mental attitude - because you view certain foods as bad or good, you react to them differently.

Your tastes may change, but you can fit in a wide variety of delicious and nutritious foods while losing weight and then maintaining the loss. It doesn't have to be a life of sprouts.

Here's a good article to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-myth-of-good-and-bad-foods-by-eric-helms-588801
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Yep. Been there and still there and dealing with it. I was a serious foodie for a long time, and I mean spending a significant portion of my salary on restaurants type of foodie. My tastes have simplified and my wife and I cook much more now than we did. I'd suggest starting to learn to cook some of those recipes and/or finding places that fit your calories better. I'm much more of a good margarita pizza or grilled sirloin steak guy today than the prime rib and foie gras fellow I was. And, yea, you can still enjoy your foods so balance that with your palate changes.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What the others said about learning to make it yourself and then you have control of what goes in and can adjust it to your taste.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Don't eat rabbit food. Rabbit food is for rabbits and you're not a rabbit. Seriously, get rid of the notion that you have to eat certain foods to lose weight and you will be much happier.

As for the Chinese, I'm sorry your experience was less than desirable. You'll find your new favorite foods soon.
  • optimaltouch
    optimaltouch Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's bittersweet at times.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You might just need a better Chinese restaurant. My stepfather likes a Chinese restaurant that uses, in my view, way too much fat, salt, and MSG.

Some of the Chinese restaurants where I live offer two menus: a western menu, with things like egg foo young, General Tso's chicken, etc., and then a more traditional menu that's closer to the original regional cuisine of the chef. The latter tends to have more subtle flavors.

Or make it yourself.

Seeds, pulses, whole grains, and veggies don't have to taste bad, though, not if you learn to cook them properly. Herbs and spices are key, as is learning how to cook them properly. Mark Bittman's book How to Cook Everything Vegetarian has great recipes that don't take much work, and the Post Punk Kitchen website has excellent, flavorful vegan recipes (http://www.theppk.com). I'm an omnivore but I often make vegetarian or vegan meals just because they're tasty.
  • optimaltouch
    optimaltouch Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We also became disappointed any time we ate out. Our home made food taste and texture is so much better.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    We also became disappointed any time we ate out. Our home made food taste and texture is so much better.

Maybe try a new technique? :smokin: :laugh:
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    The last time I had Chinese, I got really sick. I don't think there was anything wrong with the food as the rest of my family was fine, but I felt like total junk the day after. The only Chinese takeout I'll eat now is the hot and sour soup. I'm going to learn some recipes for my favorite Chinese dishes so I can make them healthier, but still tasty. I think my first will be lemon chicken <3
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    The Chinese restaurants in my town are all Americanized and greasy, with low quality meat. Yuck! Having eaten at high quality Chinese restaurants in other towns, it's not "Chinese food" that's the problem... It's just the way these greasy spoons prepare their food. So, in my town, I've substituted Vietnamese for Chinese. The local Vietnamese restaurant is great (good quality ingredients, very little "grease"). We also have a Thai restaurant that's decent and a good sushi restaurant when the mood strikes.

Food doesn't have to be greasy to be awesome-tasting. You can find a great substitute that hopefully will make you happy-cry! :love: :laugh:
  • OctoGonalFish
    Options
    You should try to make your own Chinese food then. Take out Chinese is basically fast food - you'll feel better if you cook your own.

edit: No one in my entire family ever use some of those sauces you find in a Chinese restaurant in america. I think the only thing would be soy sauce. Its not Chinese food that's making you sad, its the fact that Americans like having heavily salted foods with heavily dripped sauce.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    You should try to make your own Chinese food then. Take out Chinese is basically fast food - you'll feel better if you cook your own.

edit: No one in my entire family ever use some of those sauces you find in a Chinese restaurant in america. I think the only thing would be soy sauce. Its not Chinese food that's making you sad, its the fact that Americans like having heavily salted foods with heavily dripped sauce.

Op is in the UK. I'll still give you a gold star, though.
    dq3e39.jpg
  • OctoGonalFish
    Options
    Regardless, cooking her own chinese food allows her more control on what types of seasoning go into her foods. I see no difference in where she lives affecting this statement unless I was talking about hfcs. If she lives in the UK, and her chinese food is too salty or oily for her, the best way to solve it is by cooking it herself.

EDIT: Also, if you want to eat chinese out but don't want to have salty dishes, try not to get any szechuan type dishes. Those tend to be the spicy ones and usually are cooked and served with oil in a bowl. Whether it is meat or veggies, it is covered in oil and red pepper flakes.