It seems too good to be true.

Options
I have basically been eating the same old crap I always eat. I have been eating way less of it though. I have been getting the weight off, and staying under my calorie goal. I just feel like it is too good to be true. I still get to eat a grilled cheese and chips for lunch? Doesn't seem right.

I would like to say that I DO want to commit to eating better, but for right now I am working on the amount of food I eat. The quality is a battle I will fight in the future.

Replies

• Degren
    Degren Posts: 80
    Options
    I agree with you there. I still eat my nachos, just a smaller plate of them. I do avoid some of the big hitters like big desserts in restaurants. Another big thing for me is not snacking at night. Can't snack when you have used up your calories for the day.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    yea i kno a lot of ppl on here are all gung ho about NOT eating anything bad and they are like---ohhh i dont touch fast food anymore or oh no i cant eat any ice cream ever again...but i so dont follow that mindset...i still eat healthy but i still eat chips and ice cream and all the rest of the amazing things in life...just in smaller portions or if i have a bunch of cals left over...and thats the only way i kno i will be happy with the weight loss...if i can do it my own way-- and hey! 14 lbs later its totally working for me...so until it stops working im gonna keep eating my pizza hahaha!

does seem too good to be true...BUT IT IS!!! hehehe
  • pbxr
    pbxr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I started out just recording what I was eating. That allowed me to see just how much I was overeating. After awhile, I began to notice how I felt after eating certain things. Now I eat less of those. Still, if I'm going to feel deprived because I can never have cheesecake? There's no way I'm sticking to this thing! I prefer moderation & common sense. This site helps me accomplish that. Am I eating healthier? Yes. But I'm also living life the way I want to & enjoying every moment (and morsel!).

Welcome & you can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel. It is amazing what you can get away with if you make a few smart choices along the way. By greatly reducing my calories for breakfast and lunch, I am able to eat a pretty normal dinner with my family, and usually have calories left over for a snack later. And it just doesn't feel like a diet, that's for sure.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I'm a fan of the 80/20 rule. I eat 80% good, 80% of the time. Seems to be working just fine.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    I know! My friends offer me something sweet and quickly say, "oops, I'm sorry, I forgot you were on that diet." I tell them, "I'm not on a diet! I eat whatever I want, but I stay within my calorie limit." It clarifies the whole process and they respect it because they see my results. =)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    You CAN have your cake and eat it too! Just have to plan a little better!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I have a treat meal/day once or twice a week. Tonight I had half a frozen pizza and now I'm snacking on cucumbers and carrots. It's easier for me to moderate pizza than it is to moderate chips. If I have a bag of chips it's getting devoured. I hate that I can't eat those in moderation. Although I would much rather eat my Riceworks Salsa Fresca than a bag of Lays but still healthier or not they still vanish. I'm not trying to lose weight at the moment I'm more in a maintenance mode but I still try to limit the crap that makes its way down my gullet but I won't cut the crap out entirely. I'll just make smarter decisions the majority of the time.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I started out just recording what I was eating. That allowed me to see just how much I was overeating. After awhile, I began to notice how I felt after eating certain things. Now I eat less of those. Still, if I'm going to feel deprived because I can never have cheesecake? There's no way I'm sticking to this thing! I prefer moderation & common sense. This site helps me accomplish that. Am I eating healthier? Yes. But I'm also living life the way I want to & enjoying every moment (and morsel!).

Welcome & you can do this! :flowerforyou:

I love that you started recording. The best advice I ever read on the subject of weight loss was to eat what you would normally eat for 2-3 days, but record the calorie count, add them up and divide by the number of days to get your average, then from there simply cut away 500-750 calories. That way you won't feel as though you are starving, you're eating what you usually eat, just a little less.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    That is honestly the best way to do it. I don't believe in deprivation diets. They are impossible to stick to because it is human nature to want to rebel against being told you can't have something (or feeling you can't) by having it by either sneaking it or binging on it. One of the things I do in my nutrition projects for my minor is that when I'm designing a "diet" plan, I allow for a serving or two of flat out junk food each day when planning a menu for a set amount of calories. On one of my papers, my professor put question marks next to the ice cream and Pepsi when she first saw it, but then put "Awesome Idea" by the explanation of how it will improve compliance in the program for the long term. I've done three different classes with these dietary design projects. I've been the only one in class to make a 100 on all three. I've added splurge calories to all three too. Since the experts (my professors) all seem to agree that allowing for taste preferences and splurges is beneficial to compliance, I feel pretty confident in sticking with that for all of my clients. It was actually something I was taught in my nutrition certification that I've used for my clients for years before this university program in nutrition, so it would have been hard to change my way of designing nutrition plans, so I'm really glad they agree. :laugh:

My point is, you are doing fine, exactly what the experts would recommend. As you get use to the changes you've made, then you will make more changes. Maybe adding more fresh fruits and veggies. Eventually, you won't crave the junk as much and will have cravings for veggies and fruits. (My DH is still shocked with me when I tell him I'm craving broccoli!) Will you eventually cut out all junk? Maybe, some people do. Personally, I still eat ice cream and drink full calorie Pepsi regularly. I also eat cake and cookies and stop at fast food places when I'm out and about. All things in moderation is my motto. Do I plan on cutting those things out too? Nope, just make sure my portion sizes are good and the calories are within my plan. Sounds like you are doing the same. :smile:

You'll be glad to know that it does work. I've only lost 10 pounds since I've started focusing on my eating again recently, but years ago when I first got my nutrition certification and focused on healing some other things (female and depression issues that caused me to gain a lot of weight) I still ate whatever I wanted and drank my Pepsi and lost 75 pounds of fat and put on 40 pounds of muscle in about 6 months. It takes balance in calories, carbs, protein, fat, and exercise, but nothing too extreme like cutting out food groups. You will do fine because you have the right attitude and are taking it in small achievable steps.
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have basically been eating the same old crap I always eat. I have been eating way less of it though. I have been getting the weight off, and staying under my calorie goal. I just feel like it is too good to be true. I still get to eat a grilled cheese and chips for lunch? Doesn't seem right.

I would like to say that I DO want to commit to eating better, but for right now I am working on the amount of food I eat. The quality is a battle I will fight in the future.

me too I wouldn't be able to make different food for me as i already have to cater for my vegan mother in law who lives with us, even the idea of making 3 breakfasts/lunches/dinner every day is making me cranky! so i still eat what everyone else eats but just less of it!
  • chazsucks
    Options
    I haven't change any of my foods! I've started eating a healthier cereal for breakfast in the morning but it's a cereal i love anyway!

i've switched from full fat to semi skimmed milk as i can't tell the difference but skimmed is disgusting so i wont bother!

i've eaten chocolate... and ice cream... and bacon..... lovely foods!!!! this week but a lot less than i used to. i've also been drinking a lot more water (with fruit squash) instead of fizzy drinks and to my surprise i love it! i used to constantly feel thirsty but now i feel hydrated and refreshed :D

granted i don't know if it's done the trick... next week will be my first official weigh in but i feel great! i feel like i'm actually doing something about my health, whilst still being able to eat the same as my friends and family and still being happy and not feel that i'm missing out!

xxx