good recipes for a potluck?

Options
doublexhelix
doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
hi there! i am going to a small potluck party after christmas, and i wanted to bring a FANTASTIC dish that will impress the people there... do you guys have any suggestions? i haven't been cooking long, so anything too complex is prob not gonna happen, but i would still like to hear any ideas! i think there will be about 10 people.

OH and while i could do a dessert idea, i always do desserts, and am thinking maybe an appetizer or main dish? though if you have good desserts i want to know too. my main goal is to impress :D

Replies

• Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Quinoa salad with Feta and balsamic mmmm! One of my faves!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Although it doesn't specifically 'impress' I always make a giant Caesar salad and its the only thing that completely disappears and my office KNOWS potlucks, lol!

Romaine hearts taste fresher and at this time of the year cost the same, I use Caesar flavored croutons (or any will do) NO bacon bits 'cause they are unhealthy and we have a lot of vegetarians for religious reasons and I use Presidents Choice Blue Menu Caesar dressing. Everyone loves it and its low fat and low cal.

If you are only 10 people you may want a staple there like a salad. We have 90 people in my office, 40-50 usually participate.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe for parties/potlucks: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/137933-bulgur-wheat-chickpea-and-roasted-vegetable-salad?hl=bulgur+wheat#posts-1877726

I'd suggest leaving the cheese out entirely, and using 4Tbsp of balsamic instead of 3Tbsp. It's healthy, easy to make (if you prep ahead of time) and looks fantastic! Definitely a crowd pleaser :bigsmile:
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I love this recipe for parties/potlucks: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/137933-bulgur-wheat-chickpea-and-roasted-vegetable-salad?hl=bulgur+wheat#posts-1877726

I'd suggest leaving the cheese out entirely, and using 4Tbsp of balsamic instead of 3Tbsp. It's healthy, easy to make (if you prep ahead of time) and looks fantastic! Definitely a crowd pleaser :bigsmile:
    That is totally my style! Thanks for sharing!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    For holidays I usually do a cranberry salsa.

1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen cranberries
    1/2 an apple, peeled and cored
    Chopped serrano or jalapeno chili to taste (about a half a chili, but taste for desired heat)
    4 Tbsp sugar
    Zest of one orange
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
    Dash of lime or lemon juice
    Dash of salt
    Method
    1 Either grind cranberries and apple together in a grinder, or pulse in a food processor until coarsely shredded, around 10 short pulses.

2 Combine shredded cranberries, orange zest, chile, and sugar in a medium bowl. Let sit 15 minutes for the cranberries to macerate (soften in the sugar). Add cilantro, lime juice, and salt to taste.

Makes a little less than 2 cups.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The only impressing, easy, and healthy thing I can think of is making a fruit salad and putting it in a carved watermelon or something. There's got to be some funky ideas out there on how to make a cool decorative melon. I know now isn't the time for fruit but it's hard to think of things that havn't been done over and over for potlucks...

http://images.quickblogcast.com/4/6/2/4/6/174592-164264/June_5_015.jpg
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Romaine, dried cranberries, diced red apple, blue cheese crumbles, and Hidden Valley's Garlic & Herb dressing made with the low fat option.