Over-training???

Options
kak1018
kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
I am preparing for a duathon on June 1st so I am trying to really focus and I thought I was doing pretty good. This morning my husband told me I need to slow down and that I am not eating enough to fuel all the exercise I do. He wants me to be prepared that there will be a lot of others in the race that won't train like I do or eat like me and they will still beat my time. I really have no time goals at this point, and know he is probably right. How do you know when you are over-training? Is that possible? I still take 1 day off a week?

Replies

• kak1018
    Options
    I am preparing for a duathon on June 1st so I am trying to really focus and I thought I was doing pretty good. This morning my husband told me I need to slow down and that I am not eating enough to fuel all the exercise I do. He wants me to be prepared that there will be a lot of others in the race that won't train like I do or eat like me and they will still beat my time. I really have no time goals at this point, and know he is probably right. How do you know when you are over-training? Is that possible? I still take 1 day off a week?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Are you losing a lot of weight? Feeling run down??

(Dummy here) but what's a duathon? Running & bike race???
  • kak1018
    Options
    Haven't lost a single pound, but my shape looks different. I have trouble sleeping but that is/can be normal for me.

It is a Sprint (short distance) 3 mile run, 12 mile bike, 3 mile run
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If you have trouble sleeping and it's not something that you have encountered before, you may be over training, as that is one of the early symptoms of over-training. You may want to take a couple of days off and rest your body, or take a easy for a few days and see if you can get back into regular sleep patterns. It's hard to say without the information on how much your trained before and what your training schedule is now.

As for food, you definitely need additional calories if you're training hard, you don't want to loose muscles or energy.

Good luck with your competition and let us know how it goes. :flowerforyou:
  • paul82682
    paul82682 Posts: 48
    Options
    you can over train. keep in mind that your muscles will take about 3-4 days to fully recover from a streinuous work out. it's always good to remember to hit up a different muscle group each day so that your body has time to recouperate. 6 on and 1 off is good but throw an extra day off in there somewhere to give your body a break. and also your husband is right about under-eating. your body needs energy to work properly so remember to eat right and often. there's no such thing as "3 square meals," though. i think the common consensus is about 6 small meals spread out through the day. i.e- breakfast @ 6, snack at 9, lunch @ 12, snack @ 3, dinner @ 6, snack at 9. this way your metabolism is always going strong. just remember to eat healthy , and as they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day so don't sell yourself short:smile: i don't how much of that you already knew, but i hope it helped a little.
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    I know how you feel. I got it in my mind that I wanted to be a runner. So I went online and got a ½ marathon training schedule. I started in January getting ready for the September run. My best friend said the same thing. I was cross training like a champ. For me training is a chance to let go of stress and really beat out the demons. My advice is to listen to your body. If it’s sore, don’t train through it. Also eat! Carb. load an hour before the gym for energy and eat lots of protein after. Take a day off. Your body and mind need a day of recovery…entire body recovery. You will end up exhausting yourself and hurting yourself too, which looking at the big picture is not what you want. I mean even Jesus took a day off! Good luck!
  • kak1018
    Options
    Thanks for all your support and suggestions. I know I need to up my carb intake so I really am trying. I have been religous about low/no carb for about two years, and I am at the point where I don't even want them anymore. I will keep you posted on how things go.