Your favorite "Christmas only" food(s)?

Options
pauldbarnhart
pauldbarnhart Posts: 5,999 Member
Just for fun:

Most families have some foods that they traditionally only have during the Christmas season. Do you have any, and if so, what are they?

Here's mine:

Date filled cookies

Chocolate camels (actually just a chocolate sugar cookie, pressed in the shape of a camel)

Cherry balls (another type of cookie/sweet)

These were all part of the Christmas tradition at our house - Mom always made these, along with some more traditional Christmas cookies. (I can't think of any foods other than sweets that were unique to the Christmas holidays in our house, though)

Replies

• JulieBoBoo
    Options
    my sister's homemade plum brandy. Heaven in a glass.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Divinity. omg. It's basically pure sugar I'm thinking. mixed with some pecans. I've never made it thankfully or it probably wouldn't have been "only Christmas" food, lol. My mom makes it for Christmas. I thought about skipping it this year, but I just don't think I can do that...:tongue:
  • katw0man_
    katw0man_ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I can't resist any of it
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake! The entire cake w/frosting all from scratch....soooo good! :heart:
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    berlinerkranzer....Fortunately, I'm the only one I know who makes them, and I haven't yet.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I love iced sugar cookies ( I only make at christmas) and I am the 1 in 10000000000000 that loves fruit cake (has to be Georgia Claxton) don't like that yuckey citron (green) that most have!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My Grandma Burg's Homemade Caramels. She passed away in the 90's, so I make them every year. I have already made two batches for friends. My family's batch is next!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    berlinerkranzer....Fortunately, I'm the only one I know who makes them, and I haven't yet.

Ok, my curiosity is peaked! What is this? :happy:
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    COOKIES, COOKIES, COOKIES!! All of 'em!!!! And egg nog.:tongue:
  • jessicalhall85
    Options
    oreo truffles, pie, anything sweet!!!
  • turboandrea
    Options
    Grandma's Czech. cookie recipes. Loaded with sugar, butter and all of the good stuff, but they only come out once a year. It's totally worth it to have a memory of her around and a nice treat every year.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

Ok, my curiosity is peaked! What is this? :happy:

It's a mildly orange flavored, wreath shaped tender cookie with candied fruit cut like holly stuck on an egg white coating for a decoration.
  • DorothyNorrington
    DorothyNorrington Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I love the special Christmas time treats! I have two; the first is the Lace cookies made with almonds, and the second is Puppy Chow (otherwise known as Muddy Buddy's).

Both bring back fond memories for me. I plan on still having both this year, just focusing on portion sizes.

Happy holidays to all of you!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Baked ham (which is normally off limits for me entirely because of the sodium content)
    My mom's cookies! Molasses.....oatmeal (she makes the best EVER!).....snicker doodles......peanut butter....they are all YUMMY!
    Pecan pie
    Divinity
    Homemade toffee
    Date nut loaf (mom makes these too......so yummy with a cup of coffee....which I also don't normally indulge in!)

I'm heading to my mom's for a few days next week.....so I'm nervous....and you can see why! lol
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    My grandma's holly wreath cookies, that I have taken over the tradition of making since her passing.

And, a much newer tradition, my homemade cranberry sauce. If interested, I have posted my recipe here: http://todefyego.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-homemade-cranberry-sauce-recipe.html
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My grandma's holly wreath cookies, that I have taken over the tradition of making since her passing.

And, a much newer tradition, my homemade cranberry sauce. If interested, I have posted my recipe here: http://todefyego.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-homemade-cranberry-sauce-recipe.html

Yes I am interested! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    We're German so we have LOTS of FOOD! :)

Dumph Knoodle (German buns that are fried on the bottom in oil) usually eaten with Spaetzle (thick homemade noodles) or a Soup with Cooked Red Cabbage.
    Apfelpfannkuchen (Apple Pancakes)

Desserts are;

Bienenstich ("bee sting Cake" remindes me of a white oreo lol, with two cake outsides top cake layer has a honey almond paste on it with a creamy custard filling inbetween)
    Pflaumenkuchen ('Plum Cake" - self explanitory but soft sponge cake with layered plums in slices on top and baked)
    Apfelkuchen ("Apple Cake")
    Apfelwein ("apple cider")
    Apfelstrudel (Apple Strudle)
    Vanillekipferl (Vanilla Crescents)

There's SOOO much more.. some I don't know the name of.. but I love being German, the food is AMAZING!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Okay these are going to sound odd but I used to get a care package from my mom and in it are things called the following: Puppy Chow, Reindeer Poop, Snowman Poop. Those of course were along with the normal treats of ginger snaps, chocolate covered chowmain noodles, peanut brittle, sprtiz cookies, andie mint melt aways, home made caramels, home made fudge, home made peanut butter cups. Oh the list goes on and on and on.

Also if I am home for Christmas she always makes the open faced sour cream apple pie.
  • pauldbarnhart
    pauldbarnhart Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    @Sara.... I understand completely....although I can trace my lineage back to Germany, none of that German cooking seems to have made it down to my level. However, when I travel to Germany, I definitely overendulge in ALL the good foods. Wishing I could be there this year for Weinachtsmarkt (I think that's how it's spelled).
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    We do more of a Christmas brunch so my mom makes Jalapeno Cheese Grits! They are AWESOME!!