Christmas Dinner Menu Help

HeatherShrinking
HeatherShrinking Posts: 776 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
I'm hosting my first Christmas dinner for my family. It will be small, about 5 people. Anyone have any suggestions on what to make? I'm the only one watching what I eat, so I'd like to figure out something everyone would like.

Plus, if you have anything I could prepare before hand that would be very helpful. I'll be watching my almost 2 year old niece during the day, so there won't be much time to actually do more than toss something in the oven, microwave or crockpot that day.

Thank you!

Replies

• Baked squash: cut squash in half and seed, place cut side down on baking sheet sprayed with Pam and bake at 375 until top is squishy when you press down (about 20-30 mins), let cool a little and then scoop out the flesh. If you want you can add just a bit of butter and/or maple syrup. I recommend butternut or buttercup squash.

Roasted Potatoes: cut potatoes into chunks (leave skin on is ok) and soak in cold water for ten minutes. Pat dry and place in bowl. Toss with 1-2 TBSPs of olive oil and your favourite seasoning mix. Roast at 375F for about 30 mins turning once half way.

Roasted Peppers: Cut an assortment of colours of peppers in half lengthwise. De-seed. Place cut side down on baking sheet that has been sprayed with Pam (the same one as the squash is o.k. just don't add the peppers until the squash is halfway done) and roast at 375 for 10-15 mins.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes: can be mixed in with the regular potatoes. These do need to be peeled but do not need to be soaked. Toss and bake on the same pan as the other potatoes.

These can all be cooked together in the same oven and if you do the prep work before hand actually require very little presence in the kitchen. You can either cook whatever meat you wish to serve in the crock pot, or reheat slices of a spiral ham in the oven along with the veggies.

You might also want to consider serving up a dish of Stovetop stuffing but not actually eat it yourself. That's what I'd do.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 776 Member
    Good suggestions. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.