Sugar intake

Options
Hey guys! Just wondering how y'all monitor/regulate your sugar intake? I usually try to eat only things with less than 10g of sugar in them and this works pretty well for me but I am just wondering what some of the rest of y'all do!

Replies

• tennisgirl444
    tennisgirl444 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I actually find that I eat very little sugar, but tend to eat too much salt instead. I've actually been wondering what the ideal amount of sugar to eat a day is (I'm assuming MFP's number is a max).
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I do not monitor my intake.

If my medical doctor tells me to at any point, I will. It just has not been on my radar.
  • taraskylit
    taraskylit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I keep my added sugar less than 10% of my over-all calories.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    No monitoring. Goes against my philosophy of having a healthy relationship with food. I never monitor food groups.

What I do is eat foods I enjoy which fuel my body properly and fit within my caloric budget.

I've had a couple ice cream bars this summer... Good stuff.

Remember - sugars (and complex carbs) are all eventually going to get converted into glucose once they enter your body. And your body NEEDS this for fuel. If you were to eat a ton of fruit, you'd be introducing a sugar into your body - a monosaccharide into your blood stream. Sugar is just one of the three monosaccharides available for you to consume. None of these three are any more good or bad for you than the others. They are just different structurally, but your body converts them into the same thing: glucose.

It all ends up as glucose. So don't worry about the sugar - count the calories.

And be active.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Don't know/don't care/doesn't matter.
  • werdnek
    werdnek Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I saw a documentary on TV last night (but didn't see the whole thing) - the jest was that corporations control the research shared on sugar same as they did with tobacco but the truth came out didnt' it? My advice is to make a conscience effort to downgrade sugar input. Try cinnamon in your coffee instead of sugar. Try real fruit mixed in your yogurt instead of the store bought already mixed (has added sugar and who knows what else). Try strawberries on your toast instead of strawberry jam.

I'm not a restrictionist. I d o have a bottle of maple syrup in my kitchen cupboard as I type and I can have a jar of hone in there just not today. Cause sometimes I just really want something sweet. I listen to my body but I don't let my body boss me around. Sometimes I'll say to myself oh you only think you want some sugar.

Hey, sweet thing, have a great day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Just wondering how y'all monitor/regulate your sugar intake? I usually try to eat only things with less than 10g of sugar in them and this works pretty well for me but I am just wondering what some of the rest of y'all do!
    Do you have a medical issue and your doctor has told you to monitor sugar intake?

I personally don't worry over sugar intake because it does not have anything to do with weight loss.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I do not track mine as there is no need for me to do so. I track carbs, of which sugar is a subset.
  • teabee17587
    Options
    i keep a distant eye on it so like if i have a lot of sugar full of the fructose type today it won't matter because i won't wake up the next day with a snickers by my bed, if i am eating my weight in sugar from fruit constantly i will try and move onto some vegetables instead for a healthy alternative but these are two extremes and i find a little bit of both wont come into any harm so today i will have fruit later but right now im busy munching on 4 biscuits by my desk
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I saw a documentary on TV last night (but didn't see the whole thing) - the jest was that corporations control the research shared on sugar same as they did with tobacco but the truth came out didnt' it? My advice is to make a conscience effort to downgrade sugar input. Try cinnamon in your coffee instead of sugar. Try real fruit mixed in your yogurt instead of the store bought already mixed (has added sugar and who knows what else). Try strawberries on your toast instead of strawberry jam.

I'm not a restrictionist. I d o have a bottle of maple syrup in my kitchen cupboard as I type and I can have a jar of hone in there just not today. Cause sometimes I just really want something sweet. I listen to my body but I don't let my body boss me around. Sometimes I'll say to myself oh you only think you want some sugar.

Hey, sweet thing, have a great day.

What was the 'truth' that came out?
  • kelseyann92
    kelseyann92 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    No, I don't have a medical condition, I just keep an eye on it! I'm not super strict about it, I just choose things lower in sugar if I can. And I am active, I run 2 miles everyday. I was just looking to hear others' opinions on the matter. Thanks guys! :wink:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Don't know/don't care/doesn't matter.
    Ditto.
  • werdnek
    werdnek Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    the documentary http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fed-up-documentary-sugar-added-to-food-causing-obesity-1.2638301 I didn't see it all. but this sight say food corporattons would not be interviewed. but the part I caught is that our Canadain labeling has an identifier for how much is in the food but it also has daily % requirement of your daily intake.. the sugar labeling is silent on the % of daily intake requirements and the person interviewed would not answer re % required daily.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I had a peach with 12 grams of sugar, and for lunch now I'm eating an apple with 15 grams. I certainly would not personally choose to eliminate these foods just because their calories are mostly from sugar, especially since I have no medical reason to do so. It all balances out anyway, since the foods I eat them with tend to have far less sugar.

Basically, I've learned that the sugar in my diet is pretty much all from fruit, dairy (mostly lactose, sometimes I eat flavored yogurts), and stuff like ice cream and high quality chocolate where of course sugar is, but I eat them in moderation. I like stuff like coffee black (though I wouldn't worry about a tsp of sugar personally) and haven't found that there is the dreaded hidden sugar in other stuff I eat, so I tend not to pay much attention anymore.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    the documentary http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fed-up-documentary-sugar-added-to-food-causing-obesity-1.2638301 I didn't see it all. but this sight say food corporattons would not be interviewed. but the part I caught is that our Canadain labeling has an identifier for how much is in the food but it also has daily % requirement of your daily intake.. the sugar labeling is silent on the % of daily intake requirements and the person interviewed would not answer re % required daily.

The label is silent as there is no RDA (or equivalent) for it. It has nothing to do with labeling..
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just try to cut out any added sugars in everything I buy. I am not opposed to natural sugar in fruit, but I really try to stay away from any processed food with any form of sugar added. This eliminate most candy, baked goods and other stuff, but then I get to focused on eating whole, natural foods. The complex sugars are fine in moderation, but processed simple sugars are my trigger for over-eating.

Matt