Salt. In EVERYTHING?!?!

Just curious on how salt gets into everything. Keeping track of my diet has been largely successful since joining MFP but if there's one constant it tells me I get over it's sodium. I'm steering towards low cal and fat for the most part, but salt seems to be hiding everywhere! Being 26 it's not the end of the world, but I am overweight as is and I know salt is not good in excess. Anyone have any helpful hints in cutting out salt without adding back in fat or calories into my diet!

--Thanks!

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Yes. Salt is used to flavor food. Why are you afraid if it? Do you have a condition that you need to limit your intake?
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Are you eating a lot of processed/packaged food? Then yes, there is a lot of excess sodium to control flavor. Eating less of that and more "whole foods" so you can control your salt intake would help.
  • yes i need help on this to because i don't understand sodium, everything in the uk is measured in grams.
    also we call it salt not sodium and i tried to google it to get a better understanding but im just more confused and creating a new food or checking others is awful so i gave up
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Unless you have a condition that makes you need to watch salt, don't worry about it. Salt helps with hydration and blood volume. It is a wonderful thing for the body. There is a reason it used to be used as money.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Salt in moderation is fine. If you are making your own food, you can add salt as needed. Most of the excess salt comes fro, processed and restaurant food. If you make your own meat, veggies, fruit, etc. you aren't going to end up with too much salt.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    like odes said, if you don't have a medical condition that requires a low sodium diet, it's not really a big concern... but i don't think that means it's a complete non-issue if you're consistently taking it in in excess.

my stepfather has blood pressure/kidney problems and has to very closely monitor sodium levels in her cooking/food choices... some of which i've adapted just because the foods just as good. you could try working less processed foods into your diet, and paying attention to nutrition labels at the store. you can find many 'reduced sodium' options in canned and packaged foods at the supermarket now. or simple things like if i opt for canned veggies or beans, i rinse them off before i use them.
  • anglergirl3
    anglergirl3 Posts: 113 Member
    Hi! I have been working on the salt/sodium scenario for my nutrition for the past few weeks. A friend told me to try to reduce my salt to 1200 mg/day. With doing that, I have dropped a few pounds quickly. Salt is a big water retention factor. Even if you are weight lifting, water retention is inevitable due to muscle repair and growth. I'm not an expert on this, but I think I'm pretty close. I'm sure someone will correct me if otherwise. Though I don't stay exactly under 1200, it has helped me reduce my sodium intake considerably. The benefits include feeling less bloated, ankle swelling, and less joint pain and swelling in my hands. Personally, I think the 2300 mg MFP provides as a base for salt/sodium is too high, but everyone is different. So do what you think is best for your body. My suggestion would be to try and lowering it for a week or two and see how you feel, then go from there.

Even when we think we are eating healthy, having the ability to scan in and view the actual sodium provided in natural foods is a real eye opener. Little adjustments like using an oil & vinegar dressing over an artichoke instead of stuffing it with italian breadcrumbs and cheese will take hundreds of milligrams off your daily intake. I just figured that one out yesterday myself. Try to plot out your daily meals in advance to make sure everything you eat fits within your macros. For me, I'd rather eat lots of little things all day long, rather than power eat one huge meal and get stuck with no options the rest of the day. Slow and steady winds the race.

As far as using the salt condiment on your food, try using a salt replacement. I just picked up a can of Tony Chachere's Salt Alternative Salt Free Seasoning. I put it on everything from eggs, to chicken. It has 0 fat, 0 sodium, 0 Carbs, 0 sugar -- it has nothing in it accept 13% Potassium (460mg). There are other salt free seasoning products out on the market that are probably similar. This is my new go-to condiment. (Ingredients include spices such as red chili pepper, black pepper, garlic, chili powder with some other stuff.)

Scoopy videos on his site also reference using a salt alternative rather than salt. Check out his videos on Nutrition > Quick Healthy Meals http://scoobysworkshop.com

Hope this helps. My best to you on your journey.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Salt is important the average person needs 1500mg a day to survive. This paranoia about lowering salt to lose water weight is in reality just fooling yourself. Losing water weight is not real weight. What I mean by that is it's not part of your mass. It's not fat or muscle it's just an everyday variable. Your body naturally varies in weight on a daily basis (sometimes up to 5 pounds) mainly due to water. This is why you should be following your trend weight not the overall weight. Unless you have a medical condition I really wouldn't get too paranoid about it. The best way to control your sodium intake is to make most of your meals from scratch and avoid things like cured/processed meats.

In reality for the majority of people sodium is a non issue. Too many people seem to search for problems where there aren't any
  • ihadabadidea
    ihadabadidea Posts: 50 Member
    also we call it salt not sodium and i tried to google it to get a better understanding but im just more confused and creating a new food or checking others is awful so i gave up

Sodium is an electrolyte that in excess amounts can cause your body to retain water. Excess water in your blood can lead to higher blood pressure, and some people are more susceptible to this effect than others. People with cardiovascular problems are usually told to limit sodium in their diet to keep from putting extra stress on their bodies.

Plain salt is sodium chloride, but you can also get sodium from sodium bicarbonate, aka baking soda, which is also in baking powder. This is why soda breads (American biscuits, scones, etc.) have crazy amounts of sodium.

Processed food relies on salt for flavor because it's cheap, and different brands can vary widely in salt usage for the same item.

I know the UK recommendations are different, but here in the U.S, the guidelines are 2,300 mg (2.3 g) of sodium per day for most people, while those who are sodium sensitive are usually told to aim for 1,600 mg (1.6 g.)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Unless you have a condition that makes you need to watch salt, don't worry about it. Salt helps with hydration and blood volume. It is a wonderful thing for the body. There is a reason it used to be used as money.

This I don't track it and just make sure I drink plenty of water.... Best of Luck
  • anglergirl3
    anglergirl3 Posts: 113 Member

Sodium is an electrolyte that in excess amounts can cause your body to retain water. Excess water in your blood can lead to higher blood pressure, and some people are more susceptible to this effect than others. People with cardiovascular problems are usually told to limit sodium in their diet to keep from putting extra stress on their bodies.

Plain salt is sodium chloride, but you can also get sodium from sodium bicarbonate, aka baking soda, which is also in baking powder. This is why soda breads (American biscuits, scones, etc.) have crazy amounts of sodium.

Processed food relies on salt for flavor because it's cheap, and different brands can vary widely in salt usage for the same item.

I know the UK recommendations are different, but here in the U.S, the guidelines are 2,300 mg (2.3 g) of sodium per day for most people, while those who are sodium sensitive are usually told to aim for 1,600 mg (1.6 g.)

this ^^
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member

This I don't track it and just make sure I drink plenty of water.... Best of Luck
    Also potassium and magnesium. The 4 of those things (water, salt, potassium, magnesium) will help your body keep an optimal balance on its own, unless there is some medical condition present.