I don't know why I'm scared

hotpickles
hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
This is the weirdest feeling ever. I've found a new workout that I think will work wonders for me, that I can do without expensive gym memberships and equipment, and that I can do mostly in my own home. It fits perfectly with my situation right now. So what's the problem? I'm terrified that I'll start it, hate it, and quit two days in!

I have a bad habit for that. I will tell myself so early on that it is just way too difficult. For example, if I'm following a video or going for a run, I have a hard time pushing myself. If I can only do half the moves on the video, I consider myself a failure at it (even if it's the very first time I've tried it!)

I also expect to see results ASAP. I think that's the worst. If I can just find a way to give each workout my everything, not be discouraged if I can't do it all, and keep going for more than a week, I'll be okay. It's just getting over that little hurdle in the beginning!

So anyone out there who has had experience really sticking with something, and not getting discouraged, give me some signs of hope! I know, without a doubt in my mind, all my goals will be reached if I just stick with this :)

L.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Only you can keep yourself from failing.

You have listed all the reasons you quit and why they shouldnt be obstacles, so don't let them be.
  • I've had success with Insanity! I'm almost done with four weeks of it. My "trick" is to do it first thing in the morning. If, for some reason I can't I promise myself I will do it before I go to bed, but then that's not cool because I'm worrying about fitting it in all day. This may seem odd but I sleep in my workout clothes so when I get up I don't have to change... lol

Just set some time out for it and do it! Make a schedule that you can commit to, realistic but a challenge. Just start with 2 months or less. You can do it!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Don't look at it as failure...look at it as something to build from!

If you can only do so many bicep curls, write down whatever you could do during that first time out. Do it for each exercise you do. If the program calls for a minute of jumping jacks and you can only do thirty seconds, write down that time. Stay motivated and go into your next workout trying to do atleast one more rep...one or two more seconds of jumping jacks. Then write down those numbers. If you can only match your previous number of reps, or time...don't be discouraged. This takes time. You're still getting a good workout...and it's definitely better than sitting down and watching TV.

Build on what you can do now. Keep motivated. Challenge yourself!
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    I used to have the same sort of issue where I'd expect to be perfect at something the first time around. It took a lot of time, but I was finally able to accept the fact that perfect is an unobtainable goal. The best I can do is to do the best I can and work to improve from there. Perfect example: I started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, and when it came to the push-ups, I could only do a couple. It was really discouraging, but the next time I could do a few more, which was a good feeling. I still can't do a lot of push-ups, but I know I'm giving it my all, and that's good enough for me.

Don't be too hard on yourself!
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Thanks for your support :)

It's ever so true. I have to start somewhere, do what I can, and be encouraged that the next time I try it, I will be better.

I was listening to something on tv last night at 2:00 am (I know, I'm a night hawk lol) and this speaker said something that really caught my attention. You have two choices, either do it, or don't do it. You also have two outcomes, either you succeed, or you don't. So many people (like myself) just assume they can't succeed, and won't even try. If you don't try, you are guaranteed to fail. If you do try, you have two options - success or failure. Why wouldn't you choose the option where you are at least given a shot at succeeding?

I'm going to do this!

L.
This discussion has been closed.