Is Strength Training necessary for weight loss?

Options
Hello All,

Just curious to know how many people have lost weight w/out incorporating strength training? I ask because I really would like to include it, but (a). I don't know what I should do and (b). I don't know if one could really determine calories burned based on the type of sets one does.

Thanks!

Replies

• lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You can skip it, but you will look better if you do it.

You don't have to exercise to lose weight. you just have to be in a calorie deficit.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary for weight loss. But for fat loss - it's a big yes.

(Progressive) strength training will help you maintain lean mass and build strength at deficit.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Strength training has so many more benefits than weight loss. Old lady bones comes to mind for one.

ETA- Here are a few links that would help you get started

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight, you must eat at a calories deficient. However, losing weight involves losing fat and muscle. Strength training preserves muscles and ensures most of the weight you lose comes from fat. Since calories burned on machines and gadgets are estimates, I only eat back about half of those calories anyway.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Not necessary, but highly recommended.

Strength training is not so much used for burned calories as it is used to maintain muscle mass that you have already.

When you eat at a deficit, you will lose fat AND muscle. You would prefer not to lose the latter. Strength training plays a major role in preventing muscle loss while on a cut (deficit).

If you decide to pursue strength training, there are a lot of great programs like StrongLifts 5x5 and Starting Strength. Give those a Google.

As for calories burned: everything is an estimate. I use Endomondo and I let it run while I workout. I don't worry about caloric burn for each rep, just the overall, general calorie burn for the hour+ I'm at the gym. I work hard - I try and be the hardest worker in the room - so I feel good about the generic calories burned.

All of the calorie burn stuff are just estimates. You want to create a large enough deficit each day so that any estimate that might be off in the wrong direction doesn't hinder your goals.

Best of luck.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I lost 130 lbs without strength training. I started doing pole dancing a little over a year ago, which is definitely strength training, and really love the changes it's made to my body.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    It is certainly not needed

But I would highly recommend it. Strenght training is great for body composition and will help retain lean mass as you lose weight.