Disappointed in only losing a pound? Try this

Options
Something I do on a regular basis is try and put my last weight-loss weigh-in into my hands. This past check-in, I lost just over 3 lbs. That number sounds small when it is only a number on a screen...

However...

Go find three bottles of water, anything close to 16 oz (a pound each). Put those in your hands and feel the weight.

You just lost that from ALL OVER your body.

Pretty cool huh?

Even a single 16 oz bottle, when held in the hand, has some weight to it. If that's all you lost this week, you still lost something SIGNIFICANT.

dasani-water-bottle-j1wahbhg.jpg

P.S. I am not a shill for Dasani - any16 oz item will do. But I still think this is a pretty cool way to recognize weight lost.

Replies

• lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Good one :) I had a family member upset that she only lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks so I sent her this pic

5lbs-of-fat.jpg
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I used to compare my weight loss to a 1 lb. box of margarine.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I used to compare my weight loss to a 1 lb. box of margarine.

Perfect analogy. I do the same. I say to myself, "There used to be a stick a butter here. And a stick of butter here, and...here and here. It's GONE now!"
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    while the difference is not very significant, the perpetual student in me has to point out that there is a difference between volume (fluid oz) and weight (solid oz).
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    while the difference is not very significant, the perpetual student in me has to point out that there is a difference between volume (fluid oz) and weight (solid oz).

Don't mess up all the "feel-goodery" with thinking!
  • GrindingSalt
    GrindingSalt Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Yes, except that 16 fl oz of water weighs almost exactly 16 oz. Water is one of the liquids that translates neatly to weight. So as long as people aren't filling their bottles up with corn syrup or heavy cream, this will be almost perfectly accurate.
  • Nyrizzie
    Options
    good look on that
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Very true, I'll have to remember that
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Well, and the whole point of the exercise isn't to be hyper-accurate, so much, as to translate something nebulous into something concrete, so that your brain can absorb the significance of it.

Putting 48 ounces of water in your hands... has some heft to it, and is a great way to get your mind realizing: "Hey, I actually lost something significant from my body since last time I weighed."
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Good Post,.....i feel better now! :)
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There's a great website for that!

ilostwhat.com