Calorie crunching

hotpickles
hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I know this has probably been asked a million times...

I'm starting a pretty intense program today. Well, I'm taking bits and pieces of old workouts and making a new one, mainly because I am not going to be able to make it to a gym for a very long time. Anyways, I roughly estimated how many calories I'd be burning while doing my workouts, and it can easily reach 700-1000 calories burnt.

Right now, my calorie intake is set at 1500. I'm guessing this will be way too low considering my workouts. Should I up it, and if so, by how much?

Thanks!

L.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    I know this has probably been asked a million times...

I'm starting a pretty intense program today. Well, I'm taking bits and pieces of old workouts and making a new one, mainly because I am not going to be able to make it to a gym for a very long time. Anyways, I roughly estimated how many calories I'd be burning while doing my workouts, and it can easily reach 700-1000 calories burnt.

Right now, my calorie intake is set at 1500. I'm guessing this will be way too low considering my workouts. Should I up it, and if so, by how much?

Thanks!

L.

yes you should. by about what you will burn exercising. I.E. if you exercise for 700 calories, your total calorie intake for the day should be 2200.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    I honestly don't know if I can eat that much food LOL!

L.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Get in foods that are calorie dense- make a shake to go with your workout, eat avacados, nuts and juices. You can eat that much. It's better than not eating enough.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Given that your weight is 60 kilos, you would have to run a 6:00 min/mile pace for an hour nonstop to burn 1000 calories.

I agree that you might need to up your intake a little, but I would be cautious about overestimating your exercise calories.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    be sure you are estimating your burn right too. If you are going on MFP #s they might be counting way too high (they seem to be based on overweight males estimated burns). Do some research over several sites. If you are working out for only an hour 700-1000 means you are working out a super full capacity Heart Rate and burn the whole time.

I am a HUGE fan of heart rate monitors. LOVE my polar F6. Then you can adjust your intake each day based on that day's workout.

Plus, even 2300-2500 calories is not that hard to eat if you eat calorie dense foods. It's nearly impossible to eat 2500 worth of salad and veggies every day (but it's also hard to keep up that kind of routine on just veggies!), but add in some nuts, some peanut butter, etc. Eggs are your friend. Don't be afraid to eat the whole egg unless you have cholesterol problems already. They're really dense good calories for most. A small handful of nuts is good for you and like 400 calories! Maybe some protein shakes too if you are working out that hard. Easy 400 cals there if you mix with milk (they are NASTY in water, I think.)
  • How did you roughly estimate how many and where did you get 700-1K? . I would suggest eating about 50-70% of the calories rather than all of them just mainly because people generally vastly over-estimate over-all calories burned and HRMs are only about 80% accurate.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    If you truly are burning that many calories it won't be very hard to eat more. But, make sure that your calculating your calorie burn correctly.
  • Damn you Az, you beat me to it!
This discussion has been closed.