Paleo Diet

Options
I'm sure this has been posted before, but how many people are on the Paleo Diet? Do you eat brown rice at all on this diet?

I feel like most of my meals, it's hard to not have a "grain" at least once a day. I don't have bread, white pasta, or white rice though. Usually it's whole wheat pasta or brown rice. But I'm thinking because this stuff is quick calories and high carbs, it'll prevent my weight loss goals.

I've timed it at least so that I have the grain meals - be it whole wheat pasta or rice - after my workout. But I'm thinking it may make more sense to just cut out so I can get the carbs from veggies instead.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    No grains on the paleo diet
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make you fat. Too many calories make you fat.

If you want to eat Paleo for life and make it your lifestyle, then cool. But understand that it should not be implemented as a weight loss tool. I eat gluten-free as a lifestyle because it got rid of my IBS/GI issues, but I eat other grains and foods that are non-glutinous. I just eat within my calories.

Basically, if you try losing weight via a diet, you're going to have a harder time keeping the weight off. If you approach weight loss through using a caloric deficit while eating whatever you want (although macros are important to consider, especially if weight training, and you may find that you just feel better eating a certain ratio of yourmacros), then it will be much easier to maintain the weight loss.
  • Riz72
    Riz72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

If you want to eat Paleo for life and make it your lifestyle, then cool. But understand that it should not be implemented as a weight loss tool. I eat gluten-free as a lifestyle because it got rid of my IBS/GI issues, but I eat other grains and foods that are non-glutinous. I just eat within my calories.

Basically, if you try losing weight via a diet, you're going to have a harder time keeping the weight off. If you approach weight loss through using a caloric deficit while eating whatever you want (although macros are important to consider, especially if weight training, and you may find that you just feel better eating a certain ratio of yourmacros), then it will be much easier to maintain the weight loss.

I'm making it a lifestyle change rather then a "diet". I'm not bad at all with what I usually eat, just not great. Actually funny you mention that Ana, I have IBS issues too. Which is why it seems like another good idea to cut out stuff like the grains. The high veggie count is calorie dense and will help in the caloric deficiency.

I've never had a problem with my workouts actually, but was never perfect with the nutrition. Especially with trying to burn the fat.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    We eat rice and thereby call it Modified Paleo.

Of course, I called myself a vegetarian for a long time but I still ate red meat and chicken.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has been posted before, but how many people are on the Paleo Diet? Do you eat brown rice at all on this diet?

I feel like most of my meals, it's hard to not have a "grain" at least once a day. I don't have bread, white pasta, or white rice though. Usually it's whole wheat pasta or brown rice. But I'm thinking because this stuff is quick calories and high carbs, it'll prevent my weight loss goals.

It won't prevent your weight loss goals (I've lost lots of weight eating grains, although I eat them in moderation and tend to prevent whole grains also). However, obviously that's not paleo.
    I've timed it at least so that I have the grain meals - be it whole wheat pasta or rice - after my workout. But I'm thinking it may make more sense to just cut out so I can get the carbs from veggies instead.

You sound like you are after low carb instead of paleo. You can lose weight on whatever level of carbs you feel best on, so I don't personally see the point of cutting stuff out.

But there's a book Paleo Diet for Athletes that I think modifies the paleo diet along the lines of what you are doing. You might want to check it out.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I think primal may have rice in it. Not sure though, looked into it as a change but is way outta my budget.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

I'm making it a lifestyle change rather then a "diet". I'm not bad at all with what I usually eat, just not great. Actually funny you mention that Ana, I have IBS issues too. Which is why it seems like another good idea to cut out stuff like the grains. The high veggie count is calorie dense and will help in the caloric deficiency.

I've never had a problem with my workouts actually, but was never perfect with the nutrition. Especially with trying to burn the fat.

You don't need to be perfect with nutrition. If you look at my diary, you will see that I regularly eat crappy foods. But I meet my protein needs and don't go over my calories (I track calories through macros, so MFP will often show that I'm either over or under my cals even when I've calculated my macros and I'm as close to target as possible).

If you have digestive issues, then attempting paleo will not help you figure out what is causing your stomach problems. An elimination diet is a much smarter approach: cut out ONE food item (e.g. gluten - this does not mean grains - or dairy or eggs etc) for a month and track how you feel. It has to be omitted COMPLETELY. If you notice no changes, then reintroduce it and monitor how you feel, and if everything stays the same then try eliminating something else. Repeat until you find waht is causing your issues. A good way to do this would be to log your normal intake for a few weeks, don't omit anything, and write down any time you have IBS/digestive issues. See if it happens when eating certain foods more than others. If it happens all the time, but your eating is varied, then it could be something like not enough fiber or too much fiber, or not enough water, salt consumption issues, etc. In which case I'd recommend tracking those as well while tracking everything else so you can look to see what keeps correlating to your stomach issues.

To burn the fat, eat plenty of protein and lift weights. Then eat whatever you want as long as it's within your calories, and eat at a reasonable deficit (10-20% from maintenance).

Also, unless eating very starchy veggies, a high-veggie diet is not calorie-dense. I'm going to list all of the veggies I normally eat, and write out how many calories on average they possess for 1000 grams, or 2.2lbs. These are all calorie counts calculated via the food's macros, which means that it is not subtracting the fibre from the total calorie count.

- Raw white potato with skin: 720
    - Baked white potato with skin: 920
    - Boiled potatoes without skin (this is not something I have in my custom database): 860
    - Romaine: 170
    - Spinach: 230 (and just to put this into perspective, if I make a large salad to fit a normal large plate, I can only use about 60-70grams of spinach.. and it's the only leafy green that i use, and it FILLS the plate)
    - Carrots: 410
    - Frozen corn, unprepared: 810
    - Frozen corn, prepared: 970
    - Broccoli: 400
    - White mushrooms: 240
    - Cucumber with peel: 200
    - White onion: 400
    - Sweet onion: 360
    - Sugar snap peas: 360
    - Red pepper (very similar for orange and yellow, higher than green): 280
    - Frozen green peas unprepared: 760
    - Frozen green peas prepared: 760

So, I guess if you eat at least a few lbs of veggies a day, then you'd be eating quite a few calories.

And just to compare this to some other good carb sources:
    - Boiled black beans: 1400 cals
    - Boiled kidney beans: 1300 cals
    - Cooked brown rice: 1150
    - Dry brown rice pasta: 3800

but 1000g of these foods would generally be less volume-wise as they are denser.
  • Riz72
    Options
    I feel bad for making you write all that because I meant to write low calorie, but wrote calorie dense for some reason lol.

So regardless of paleo or not, it's just the low carb diet that'll help me achieve my weight loss goals, hence why people opt for the high veggie route since they are lower in calories.... it just happens to be paleo since they limit or cut out the grains.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for making you write all that because I meant to write low calorie, but wrote calorie dense for some reason lol.

So regardless of paleo or not, it's just the low carb diet that'll help me achieve my weight loss goals, hence why people opt for the high veggie route since they are lower in calories.... it just happens to be paleo since they limit or cut out the grains.

Paleo is not low carb. Some eat potatoes/ sweet potatoes and similar starches like winter squashes,
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what you need to achieve your weight loss goals, unless you have a medical condition. If you are having IBS issues, go for the elimination diet before deciding you need to be low carb or paleo or <insertdietlabelhere>. Figuring out your health issues that are causing you discomfort is more important than the number on the scale.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    No grains on the paleo diet

Paleo humans ate tons of grains.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm making it a lifestyle change rather then a "diet".

You can call it what you want, it's still a diet.
  • Riz72
    Options
    No it's not because this isn't a temporary change for me. It's permanent. It's not something that's set for 8 weeks after which I'll start eating like crap. It's about consistently eating more quality ingredients and eliminating excessive processed foods.