Workouts for when you're sore?

Options
I went to the gym two days ago and did some lifting for my legs. They hurt yesterday, so I didn't go. Now today the muscles are super sore. I'm irritated because I have the energy to workout, I just can barely move. It must be old age catching up with me...*LOL* What kind of workout do you do when you're already sore? I need ideas for tonight!

Shannon

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm usually sore two days later...almost like that's how long it takes for my muscles to realize I used them lol...I recommend just doing cardio to get your legs back under you, no lifting weights...and have an epsome salt bath or a hot tub soak...take some advil to relieve the swelling and pain too...sports rub also works awesome! but give your muscles a chance to recover. This won't happen to you all the time, your legs just have to get use to the work out.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Trust me once you start moving you're be fine. You should have stretched when you were done with your workout so that you wouldn't have been sore. If anything do some cardio and see how that feels. For me I LOVE the day after burn. However, it seems like no matter what I do anymore I never get the burn :sad:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I honestly just get right back into working out normally the next day. Take a few minutes to stretch before you workout (I've been doing Turbo Fire so there's a 5 minutes stretch/warmup at the beginning) and then start working out. I've found that I don't feel the soreness once I do that. Usually I'll be sore after I finish working out and sit down for a while, but I don't let soreness stop me from working out all together. And the stretching really helps with it too.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    usually once I start moving, you don't notice. until you stop again. if you don't want to do that. do stuff with your arms, or sit ups, push ups, hula hoop. focus on core and arms for a day,
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Do upper Body work if your lower body is sore. Keep moving stretch warm muscles. The more you sit the worse it can be. Try Epsom salt baths. Most people have the 2 day DOMS( Delaid onset muscle sorness) People that are new to it or getting back into it are not sure how to handle this. Just dont stop moving
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Yoga. You won't get a big calorie burn, but it will help. I've been sore, too, lately. I completely sympathize. Good luck!
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You can also try swimming! I love swimming when I feel too sore. It takes some of it away or at least I feel like it does. I would swim most days if I could, but a different story.
    Other PPs are right though you want to get moving and active in some way because it will be the best way for your legs to recover quicker.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. I ended up doing some yoga because I didn't feel like I could get my legs to work fast enough for cardio.*LOL* I'm still sore three days later, but it's not as bad. I was getting charley horses in them.:-P

Shannon