now I'm confused...

Options
I'm confused on how many calories to eat after a bunch of suggestions on another thread...
MFP told me to eat 1200 cal based on my office job and working out 5 nights a week for approx 45-60 mins to lose approx 2lbs a week. (well, they said 1.4)

my BMR is 1541.95 - I'm working out approx 5 times a week and I saw online I should multiply my BMR x 1.55 = 2390
So, basically I want to subtract 7000 calories a week so thats 1000 a day, and leaves me with 1390 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week.

what do I do LOL !!!!! bump up my calories to 1300 or 1400 and DO NOT eat my activity calories OR stay at 1200 and EAT my activity calories every now and then.

Thanks in advance for all your opinions :)

Replies

• billylindsay
    billylindsay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If u feel u need that extra couple of hundred calories now and again go for it for all the difference it will make.
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    When the site told me I should be at 1390 a week (including my exercise), I still stayed around 1200 calories. I had plenty of energy to go on with my day and saw some pretty great results.

I would hit about 1350 about once a week and the following morning I normally saw a weight drop.

Ultimately you have to do what feels right for you. 1200 felt right for me and I was happy with it. Just make sure you aren't dropping to far below that point on any one day.

Good luck!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to why you would multiply your BMR. Anyhoo, your BMR is the cals you burn by laying in a coma. No movement. Then apparently we burn about 500 cals per day doing just regular things like getting up to answer the phone, throw something away, go to the bathroom, etc. THEN you create a deficit by eating 3500 (1 lb) or 7000 (2 lbs) less per week then you burn. MFP does not consider your exercise cals when setting your goals. I know I know you had to enter in your workouts/wk when setting them up. But they are not considered. Your daily cal goal is based solely on your BMR+daily activity cals-deficit per day. Your exercise is just an added bonus and MFP adds those cals back for you to eat because the lb/wk weight loss goal was based only on your calories eaten and burned through regular daily activities.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    That's a really hard one. This is where I have my problems as well. However, I could never consume my "activity" calories. On days I work out hard I still eat less than 1490 calories a day @ my "inactivity" level. However, in reverse if I don't exercise then that's usually when I have my slip ups and consume more than 1490 calories. Personally for me, if I exercise I don't feel as hungry... The reason why may be because as soon as I am done with my workout I try to consume alot of protein. But I wish that I could be more helpful. I try to give advice whenever I can, however I am basically in the same "boat". Sorry. Really wish I could help. I love being able to help others anyway I can but this is one that I get confused on as well:indifferent:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Go with 1200 for now and make sure to eat your exercise calories!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I try to eat half of my exercise calories. I've never eaten all of them.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    The 1.55 is moderately active right? Since you're taking your exercise into account, eat either 1890 calories a day (2390 - 500) for a 1 lb a week weight loss or the 1390 calories a day (for the 2 lb a week weight loss). Stick with it for 3 weeks to a month and tweak if necessary. :smile:
  • Karasene
    Karasene Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200 calories aday and don't ever eat my exercise calories. i got alot of people telling me i was eating too little but i eat 6 x a day and am pretty full. I look at is as i save all those extra workout calories for my cheat meal on saturdays :)

You have to find what works for you. don't listen to everyone else... listen to your body. you are the one that this weight loss is for. I stopped listening to everyone and just keep pushing and busting my butt. If i'm hungary i eat but make sure its low cal and filling :)

Goodluck! i think you are doing a great job just don't give up and you will reach your goal!!
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat all your exercise cal's but about 50% is appropriate. You'll still be in a deficit at the end of the week. Exercise physiology and an individual's metabolism is a very intricate science. No one person works the same as another so whilst guidance from other people is great, ultimately you need to try different things out and find what works for you. When I was eating 1200 cal's and exercising 5-6 times per week my body quickly plateaued and I was always hungry (and therefore more susceptible to bingeing). It depends on how much you burn as well. I upped my protein (and stopped really worrying about whether I was "over" on certain value's) and decreased starchy carbs AND started eating back some exercise cal's and that worked really well. Start off eating your 1200 daily cal's and then see how it goes... maybe that will work for you and maybe it won't. If it doesn't, don't dispair, just try something else. You will eventually find a rhythym.