Kettlebells?

Options
I'm not referring to those humongous things that I couldn't lift if my life depended on it...I'm referring to the little 5 lb ones.

Right now I don't exercise very much...I do wall exercises with ankle weights and arm weights (they're velcro and they're only 1 lb each so I guess some may say there's no point in them due to their lightweight...but I can't handle doing too much.

...pretty sure I could handle doing something low-impact with a 5 lb weight though...so I'm wondering, is there any added bonus or benefit to a 5 lb kettlebell rather than a 5 lb regular handweight? Are the kettlebells just easier to hold onto or something? I'd just like some opinions on a kettlebell before I buy one versus something else...not knowing why.

Thank you

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    5 lbs is 5 lbs.

the only difference is where the center of gravity is located which is going to have an effect on how you work with it. but at 5 pounds, you're probably not going to notice a big difference.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    5 lbs is 5 lbs.

the only difference is where the center of gravity is located which is going to have an effect on how you work with it. but at 5 pounds, you're probably not going to notice a big difference.

Well..they have 10 lbs also (the brand I've been looking at). I'm not looking to be "muscley"...I want to lose all the weight I need to lose first...thought maybe adding weights and swinging them around would help my flabby arms...but maybe not? =/
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm undecided about them, too. To start with, I'm using a plastic jug of water (8 pounds) and trying some of the exercises. It's a free way to see if it's something I can and will do.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm undecided about them, too. To start with, I'm using a plastic jug of water (8 pounds) and trying some of the exercises. It's a free way to see if it's something I can and will do.

omg that is an awesome idea!!! I might try that, thank you. :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    5lb KB is pointless. You may as well use your handbag.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    5lb KB is pointless. You may as well use your handbag.

I agree. Kettlebell swings is great for cardio and glutes. Turkish get ups are a treat whole body workout. But you will need something heavier.
  • kandyice1
    kandyice1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You won't get all "muscley" by lifting heavier. The more muscle you gain, the more calories you will ultimately burn over the course of the day. Plus muscle is more compact than fat too. It's better to lose weight and gain muscle simultaneously.

Anyways, kettlebells are a great exercise option, especially if you want to try something different. It works your muscles a little differently. Look up some kettlebell workouts online and have a go at it. And do start off with a lighter option at first, then build up as you gain strength. I would see if you could handle more than 5 lbs at first though...that seems very light.
  • 6Brenda8
    Options
    I was really weak, I started with a 10lb Kettlebell at home (still to chicken to enter the free weights section of the gym sigh). I did go over and try a swing with 20lbs and that was just too much at first, so I bought a 10lb for home. It was heavy for about 2 weeks, now it feels too light. If you access to a gym and can use them there, I would. You'd be surprised how fast you seem to move up. I think the kettlebell is a lot of fun vs resistance bands or the treadmill but that's me. You also don't need to worry about bulking up, that's an old wives tale so we'd buy all those aerobics videos and pink 3lb dumbbells :D
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I like using my 15lb kettlebell to squats and arm swings, but have decided to step up my game and start using the Bob Harper Kettlebell DVD that I have. I used it yesterday for the first time in over a year and I am sore, but I am proud of the fact that I was able to finish it this time without cutting out half of the exercises like I did the last time. I have decided to do the routine at least twice a week and I will possibly do it 3 x a week to build muscle as I continue to try to lose weight. I still have a 100 pounds to go and I don't want to lose all of my muscle and be left with all of this loose skin that I will struggle to tone later. I think you should give kettlebells a try and will be surprised by how many calories you burn during the workout and afterwards as compared to cardio or light lifting. Good luck on your journey!
  • Wanderer1234
    Options
    Before we begin we should first talk about what's a kettlebell. They've been around for a long time and just a recent addition to the western world. Kettlebells originated in Russia and have been documented as far back as 1704. But what exactly is it? It's a cast iron ball with a handle attached to the top of it. How do they differ from dumbbells? Because the weight of a kettlebell is not distributed evenly, this creates a need for the user to counter balance and stabilize the kettlebell during a workout, so you end it using more muscles during a workout than when using a dumbbell or barbell. Especially your core strength. Kettlebells range between 9lb to 105 pounds. Most women can start with an 18 lb bell but some may start with a 13 pound. Most women will work up to a 26 pound bell. The beauty of a kettlebell is that it targets all of the major muscles groups as well as the stabilizing muscles so you end up with a full-body workout in a short period of time, which makes kettlebells a very efficient way of working out. Just do a google search on YouTube and you will find lots of videos on how to use a kettlebell and also a full workout. For a small investment, it is well worth your time to try out a kettlebell.