In Need of a Slow Cooker Recipe w/o Chicken!

Options
pixelatedsun
pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
I'm about "chicken"d out to be honest, but I'd like to make a slow cooker meal tomorrow that will work for at least 4 meals. Maybe with beef, steak or veggie? I'll probably be making spaghetti during the work week, so preferably nothing Italian-y?

Thanks, you guys are awesome!!

Replies

• odywithaj
    odywithaj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do you like cabbage rolls? I just found a un wrapped version i'm going to try in my slow cooker.. :)
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    throw a boston butt in the crockpot with some onions, garlic, tomatoes and corn if you want it ... cumin, oregano, thyme ... cuban spices! let it cook down to pulled pork and then you can use it one night over rice, one night wrapped in tortillas, one night over a baked potato and one night with all the broth as a soup with some cornbread! ;)
  • pixelatedsun
    Options
    Do you like cabbage rolls? I just found a un wrapped version i'm going to try in my slow cooker.. :)

I'm intrigued! Lay it on me!!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Pork is great too! Try skinnytaste.com. You can always half or double a batch to make more or less meals.
  • mexbrown
    Options
    A turkey breast with an onion soup mix on low for a long time will be sublime. You don't even need to add water!

Also try a pork tenderloin cooked with rootbeer, then add bbq sauce, shred, and you have your own shredded BBQ pork. This is not a very healthy recipe but it's soooooo good.

Go online and search for slow cooker recipes and you'll find plenty. I use the AllRecipes app and have found the two faves above there.
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I enjoy making a good stew, but the post from quieau gives you such better options for variety!
  • crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    RECIPE:Makes 8 servings1 Cup Mung Beans 1 Cup Basmati Rice 9 Cups Water 6-7 Cups assorted Vegetables Masala Mixture: ¼ Cup Ghee or olive oil 4-5 Cloves of fresh Garlic, crushed in a press 2 Onions, Chopped 1 finger fresh Ginger root, peeled and minced 1 1/2 Tsp Tumeric 1 1/2 Tsp Cumin powder 3/4 Tsp Ground Coriander seed Seeds of 5 Green Cardamon Pods (or 3/4 tsp powder) 1 Tsp Black Pepper ½ Tsp Crushed Red Chilies (more if you like spicy OR omit completely if you don’t like it hot) 1 – 1 1/2 Tbsp Sea Salt <!–[if !supportEmptyParas]–> This recipe goes much smoother if you prep everything before you begin. Add salt to water in a large stew pot and bring water to a light boil. Wash Mung beans, carefully removing any tiny stones. Rinse Basmati Rice at least three times to remove starch. Set mung beans and rice aside. Chop assorted vegetables. (Prepare the Masala Mixture while waiting for water to boil) Heat Ghee (or Oil) in a large frying pan (preferrably cast iron.) Add garlic (using press), chopped onions, and Ginger and saute under a medium flame. When Onions, Garlic and Ginger are translucent, add Turmeric, Cumin, Coriander, Cardamon, Crushed Chilies and Black Pepper; mix well. When all spices are absorbed shut off flame and let sit for 5 min, covered. (When water begins to boil) Add mung beans to boiling water. Reduce flame to simmering and cover and boil until the beans start to soften and open, (15-20 min.) Add Masala Mixture to water with mung beans and vegetables. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until soupy. Add rice and cook an additional 15-20 min until rice is absorbed. Shut off and let set 15-20 min. Serve with fresh yogurt (or sour cream.) - See more at: http://kundaliniyogabootcamp.com/recipe-mung-beans-rice-kitcheree/#sthash.Pv25Rvd2.dpuf
  • pixelatedsun
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!! Please keep 'em coming!
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Have you looked up "A year of slow cooking" on the internet? She has a variety of recipes.

I do venison and pork about the same way -- sear them and put them in with beef stock or beer (stout) and root vegetables.

Lasagne with zucchini strips instead of noodles - and you can do it with a white sauce instead of marinara to un-Italianize it.

Crustless quiche, Chili
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have fallen in love with this recipe:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/02/slow-cooked-jerk-pork-with-caribbean_19.html

I use peaches instead of mango, because the mangos make my lips itch. :)

Sometimes I eat it over rice, and sometimes I eat it without rice. Recently, I found red sprouted jasmine rice at Trader Joe's that is pre-cooked in the frozen food section, and it is amazing with the pork and peaches, etc.

I find this to be very filling and it has become one of my go to meals on weeks when I'm not losing well.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    SLOW COOKER BARBECUED PULLED PORK FAJITAS. www.bettycrocker.com

This is very good...hope you like this

Prep Time 15 min Total Time 10 hr 45 min
    Servings 18
    Ingredients

pork boneless loin roast, (2 1/2 pounds), trimmed on fat
    medium onion, thinly sliced
    cups barbecue sauce
    3/4
    cup Old El Paso™ Thick 'n Chunky salsa
    tablespoon chili powder
    teaspoon ground cumin
    bag (1 pound) frozen stir-fry bell peppers and onions
    1/2
    teaspoon salt
    flour tortillas (8 to 10 inches in diameter)
    Shredded cheese, if desired
    Guacamole, if desired
    Sour cream, if desired

Directions
    1Place pork in 3- to 4-quart slow cooker. Place onion on top. Mix barbecue sauce, salsa, chili powder and cumin in small bowl; pour over pork and onion.
    2Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.
    3Remove pork from cooker; place on cutting board. Shred pork, using 2 forks. Return pork to cooker and mix well. Stir in stir-fry vegetables and salt. Increase heat setting to High. Cover and cook 30 minutes or until mixture is hot and vegetables are tender.
    4Using slotted spoon to remove pork mixture from cooker, fill each tortilla with 1/2 cup pork mixture. Fold one end of tortilla up about 1 inch over filling; fold right and left sides over folded end, overlapping. Fold remaining end down. Serve with cheese, guacamole and sour cream.
    Expert Tips
    Leftover shredded pork can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or frozen up to 4 months. You can use a 2 1/2-pound beef boneless chuck roast instead of the pork roast. Use the shredded pork for taco, enchilada and burrito fillings.

Nutrition Information
    Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories290 ( Calories from Fat70 ), Total Fat8 g (Saturated Fat2 g, ), Cholesterol40 mg Sodium620 mg Total Carbohydrate37 g (Dietary Fiber2 g ), Protein18 g ; % Daily Value*: Vitamin A6%; Vitamin C12%; Calcium8%; Iron14%; Exchanges:2 Starch; 1 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I have a book called "Fix It And Forget It...Lightly". I LOVE this book. It has recipes for all kinds of meat and vegetarian and they're all healthier options. It's fantastic. :D
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    lamb and bean casserole

100g diced lamb
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tin cannelini beans
    1 tin red kidney beans
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp worcester sauce
    1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    300ml vegetable stock

brown the lamb, stick it in the pot. soften the onions in the leftover lamb oil juice, stick it in too. stick in the rest of the ingredients except for the beans. Cook for a few hours then add the beans an hour before you plan to eat.

Steak and Ale casserole

400g diced stewing steak
    2 carrots
    2 onions
    2 stalks celery
    1 tin tomatoes
    1 bottle ale
    1 tbsp flour

put the meat and veg in the pot, stir in the tablespoon of flour, add the tomatoes and ale then cook for a few hours. I either have it with mashed potatoes or put puff pastry on top to make a pie.

Sausage and Bacon casserole

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/22555/slow-cooker-bacon-and-sausage-casserole.aspx (can't be bothered typing it out :) )
  • Mary8812443132
    Options
    Hi dear,
    For more information please check this social network: www.Foodeaser.com
    That's full of Recipes.