Map My Walk vs. Map My Run

Ms_J1
Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
What's the difference between Map My Walk and Map My Run? The descriptions are the same.

Replies

• Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    good question, I have been wondering the same thing as I have the mapmywalk app, there is also a mapmyfitness app too.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    MapMyFitness is the umbrella for MayMyWalk, Run, Hike, and Ride. If you have more than one of the apps, all the feeds are merged. So, when I look at my history in MapMyWalk, I can also see all of my hikes, rides, and runs. You choose the starting app to determine what the activity is recorded as. They all work pretty much the same.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    they all can track the same exercises and do them well29509743.png
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    I just got mapmyfitness after having mapmyrun and mapmywalk and mapmyhike and realizing they ARE ALL THE SAME!!! I liked the icon better for the rest but it was a waste of phone space :P
  • KimbaCan
    KimbaCan Posts: 14 Member
    I did the same walk, once using mapmyhike and then using mapmywalk. Mapmyhike recorded higher calorie burn.

Anyone know if there's a trick to get it to sync since the upgrade?
    I can't get them to sync to MFP.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    MapMyFitness is the umbrella for MayMyWalk, Run, Hike, and Ride. If you have more than one of the apps, all the feeds are merged. So, when I look at my history in MapMyWalk, I can also see all of my hikes, rides, and runs. You choose the starting app to determine what the activity is recorded as. They all work pretty much the same.

g8RgYRs.gif

if i could upvote you, i would!
  • PaulTurner1971
    PaulTurner1971 Posts: 1 Member
    I was thinking the same myself... guess it's just about your core activity. I walk more often than run / hike / cycle so guess I'd naturally opt for MMW
  • bakergina82
    bakergina82 Posts: 1 Member
    Map my hike is for walking on rough terrains. You burn more calories on rough terrain than if you walked on pavement.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Map my hike is for walking on rough terrains. You burn more calories on rough terrain than if you walked on pavement.

There is no difference in how any of the Map My (insert activity here) apps calculate calories. If you log a hike in Map My Ride, Map My Dog Walk, or Map My Hike ... the end result is the same.
  • jjburger77
    jjburger77 Posts: 31 Member
    Honestly, just get MapMyFitness and not all of the individual apps. Why? I have MapMyFitness, MapMyWalk, and MapMyRide, and whenever one of my friends logs what they just did, I get notifications from 2 of the apps based on what they just did. It's overkill.
  • 4seasons4
    4seasons4 Posts: 2 Member
    Here's what the company says in their support pages:
    The main difference between the free apps and sites is that each is catered toward an individual audience and will provide nearby and recommended maps based on that app's user base, as well as a default activity type. For instance, using MapMyRun will provide nearby running routes others have recorded, while MapMyRide will provide nearby routes for cyclists.

You only need ONE of the apps on your device. Any of the apps will record all different types of workouts (biking, running, walking, hiking, etc.) The app you choose (walk, ride, run, hike, etc) determines which type of nearby/recommended maps will be shown to you.

https://support.mapmyfitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/200118114-What-s-the-Difference-Between-the-Free-and-Apps-
  • jld1975
    jld1975 Posts: 18 Member
    Oh, this is interesting. I have MapMyWalk but maybe I would be better off with the hike app. Most of my walks start out as walks headed to hiking areas. I could probably use the recommendations.
  • Jon_VW
    Jon_VW Posts: 1 Member
    @winifredtigerlily that's because the default activity in MMW is walking whereas in MMW it's hiking, but both apps support a variety of activities, for example you can select hike in MMW which should give the same result as if you logged the hike in MMH. It makes sense that hiking would burn more calories than walking since you're likely traversing heavier terrain, plus hiking gear trends to weigh more. I hope that makes sense.
  • Liorde
    Liorde Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2017
    Wow. so much confusion. I think I may be able to sum it all up.
    They all can track ALL the same activities. You can walk with mapmyride, ride with mapmywalk or mapmyfitness, etc.
    But each app is tailored more specifically to that activity so mapmyride shows data that cyclists usually want to see like avg speed in mph vs mapmywalk/run which would show pace as minutes/mile by default since runners/walkers generally care more about their pace. Try to compare your bike ride pace with another cyclist and most will look at you cross-eyed not understanding what you're talking about.

Hopefully that helps. Basically, download the app for the sport you do the most and you can still record everything else in that one app just fine. Otherwise, if you truly do everything, perhaps mapmyfitness will work better for you as it's more general.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Just use mapmyfitness. It covers all the above.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    jrline wrote: »
    they all can track the same exercises and do them well wildly exaggerate caloric burn. 29509743.png

Fixed it for you
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    kayemme wrote: »

g8RgYRs.gif

if i could upvote you, i would!

as an aside, this is now my favorite gif in the entire world.

• bellkurt6
    bellkurt6 Posts: 1 Member
    I did essentially the same route & pace with each app. Map My Walk gave 120 cal/mile, Map My Hike gave 164 cal/mile.
  • AtownSuzyQ
    AtownSuzyQ Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2019
    There is a large calorie difference between logging a hike and logging a walk. I did a very long hike and the calories seemed low for how strenuous it was. Then I noticed that I logged it in as a walk. I went to edit and change it to a hike. The calories burned were about three times as much. I assume it was because the elevation change was pretty great from the bottom to the summit.