Healthy, tasty, quick, high cal food?

Options
Hi everyone,

I swim, cycle, and I am soon going to do rowing exercises. I'm burning quite the calories.
I'm having trouble eating it back... Today my total daily goal was nearly 5,000.

I'm using shakes as quick calories. Usually milk+oatmeal+cacao; sometimes I add whey and dextrose, it depends.
But the shakes are not really tasty, as you can imagine.

Does anyone know some healthy, tasty, quick, and high cal food?
I try to avoid bread, and of course sugar, since it's not that healthy.

Any tips are much appreciated!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would say yogurt. I'm not sure what brands you have available. We have one called Noosa and the calories range between 270 and 300 and the protein between 14 and 17 grams depending on the flavor.

For a shake, I like 1.5 cups of milk plus 2 scoops of chocolate protein powder plus 1-2 tablespoons of peanut or almond butter plus ice. That's about 525-600 calories if you use 2% milk.
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I already eat 500gr curd (the greek yoghurt like stuff) a day, so let's not add more yoghurt..
    And I don't have any trouble reaching my daily protein goal, so I won't add more protein powder either.

But peanut or almond butter in a shake... I might try that! Got to love foods rich in fat. I hope it blends well in the milk. Maybe add some fruit to it, any suggestions?
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    nuts, dried fruit, yoghurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal, pasta/potatoes/bread/rice (brown where possible), avocado, bananas, coconut, milk, peanut butter, protein powder
  • joshuaperson
    Options
    I would DEFINITELY recommend adding nut butters to your smoothies/shakes! Pairs very well with strawbnerries, bananas, etc. Maybe even indulge in dark chocolate occasionally?
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Avocado. You can eat it straight with just some salt and pepper, mixed in other things (I've used it in brownies!) or salads, mashed as a dip or sandwich spread. And on and on. Then there are nuts. I like roasted almonds and dried fruit. ANY dried fruit. It will add some sugar to your day, but nothing over the top unless you eat a whole bag. Sugar isn't bad for you, but I can see not wanting to spend the bulk of your calories on it. So if you don't want to really add sugars (carbs) or protein, fat is the way to get the biggest bang for your buck. Another option is cream. Cream is another source of fat and can be added to your shake, you can add cocoa powder and stevia with some water for hot cocoa, or you can make a simple sauce to top meats and veg.
  • joshuaperson
    Options
    Also... sweet potatoes are very good with melted almond butter. Perfect balance of carbs and fat.:wink:
  • jemhh
    Options
    I have added avocado to chocolate shakes. It was okay but probably one of those things that you tell yourself tastes good just to get it down.

Coconut milk in a shake could be good. Maybe coconut milk and mango. Maybe pineapple too. Not sure how well that would blend.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Also... sweet potatoes are very good with melted almond butter. Perfect balance of carbs and fat.:wink:

Yes, this is so good. Just be sure the almond butter melts a bit or else it all kind of clumps up.
  • Jewlz280
    Options
    I have added avocado to chocolate shakes. It was okay but probably one of those things that you tell yourself tastes good just to get it down.

Coconut milk in a shake could be good. Maybe coconut milk and mango. Maybe pineapple too. Not sure how well that would blend.

The trick is a REALLY good blender and knowing how much to use. A friend of mine swears she uses a half to make two drinks and it's perfect -- I'd rather just eat it. LOL

I bet real coconut milk would work great. As a matter-of-fact, any kind of milk is probably good, if you can drink it. Whole milk for an 8oz serving has like what, 150cals? Two glasses is an extra 300! Can't get much simpler than that. I, alas, am lactose intolerant! :sad: I sneak a few bites of cheese here and there. Cheese would be a good option, too. I love a good hard, aged cheese. YUM.
  • sanderdejonge
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!

As I expected...foods rich in fat are the way to go. I think I'm going to try some nut butters. Never been a nutty-guy, but who knows!
    And of course pasta, rice, and avocado! Thanks for the reminder Ulwaz, I used to prep pastas and rice so I could eat it during the day.

Thinking of a yogurt+nut butter+banana+honey smoothie right now. :happy:
  • sanderdejonge
    Options

The trick is a REALLY good blender and knowing how much to use. A friend of mine swears she uses a half to make two drinks and it's perfect -- I'd rather just eat it. LOL

I bet real coconut milk would work great. As a matter-of-fact, any kind of milk is probably good, if you can drink it. Whole milk for an 8oz serving has like what, 150cals? Two glasses is an extra 300! Can't get much simpler than that. I, alas, am lactose intolerant! :sad: I sneak a few bites of cheese here and there. Cheese would be a good option, too. I love a good hard, aged cheese. YUM.

I have a good blender. I like cheese a lot, but I try to avoid though, too much saturated fat and salt.
    Your friend uses a half of what to make two drinks? Avocado?

As for the milk...easy calories indeed, and tasty for shakes!
  • Jewlz280
    Options

I have a good blender. I like cheese a lot, but I try to avoid though, too much saturated fat and salt.
    Your friend uses a half of what to make two drinks? Avocado?

As for the milk...easy calories indeed, and tasty for shakes!

Don't fear the saturated fat. NO FEAR! But you can also get the more aged cheeses that have less salt. YUM. And I'd rather have a small amount of quality cheese than a whole block of the cheap stuff. The cheap stuff has it's place, but gimme the good stuff!

And yes, she puts avocado in her shakes instead of yogurt! I've never tried it since I use Greek yogurt, but I did blend them and put them in other things. You can make a DELICIOUS dressing with a few seasonings and an avocado.