How do you eat your oatmeal?

Options
So I've only recently gotten on the porridge bandwagon and would love some ideas on what to incorporate into my oats, mostly to satisfy my morning sweet tooth!
At the moment with my 1/2 cup of rolled oats (with water only) I have a banana or half, some white chia, flaked almonds and maybe some pepitas, tsp of stevia and a tsp or 2 of nutella (not that great I know).

Would love some suggestions thanks! :)

Replies

• Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Fresh chopped peaches and a tsp or two of brown sugar. Raisins. Strawberries and cream. A friend of mine adds PB and cinnamon. I've seen people who add stuff like vanilla whey protein powder but it's somehow too creamy for me. Apples and cinnamon. Cranberries and roasted almonds. Roasted coconut and bananas. Pretty much any muffin flavor I think works in oatmeal! Now guess what I want to eat? LOL
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I put it in my mixer to make oat flour. Then I add it to shakes!
    Milk+oatmeal+whey+cacao powder. Extremely quick, it's healthy, and medium tasty.. lol
    If I already had enough protein, I leave out the whey. But you'll need to chug it down then, without the whey it's not quite tasty..

You can also make protein pancakes with oatmeal! They're fabulous. Check this out:
    http://proteinpow.com/2013/04/apple-cinnamon-protein-pancakes.html
    The website has loads of other great recipes as well.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been doing baked pumpkin oatmeal with unflavored protein powder added! SOOOOO good!
  • no_russian
    no_russian Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    With protein powder
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I will occasionally mix it dry with peanut butter, turning it into an odd, cakey, crunchy ball.

Another option is partially frozen Greek yogurt and assorted fruits.

Note: I don't cook my oats, so results may vary.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I prefer steel cut oats to rolled oats. I top mine with some fruit (at the moment, frozen local strawberries), some plain greek yogurt, and a little bit of vanilla protein powder as a sweetener. Usually I get about 20g of protein this way, for around 250 cal.

I've also done it with blueberries, a bit of maple syrup, and some chia seeds. I used to eat oatmeal with some craisins and toasted slivered almonds, plus a little bit of sugar, but I find I much prefer it with yogurt and fruit.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I eat overnight oats every morning and for a snack after dinner:

1 fat free Greek yogurt
    1/4 cup natural oats
    1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder

Combine and refrigerate overnight - delicious, filling, and full of protein!
  • kjm_723
    kjm_723 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Blueberries, I use old fashioned oats (accidently buying those instead of quick cook was a wonderful mistake). I put the blueberries in with oats and they turn the whole thing purple and I don't feel like any added sugar is necessary, although I have done it. Blueberries and banana is good too. I also like to put peaches in or apples and cinnamon, but blueberries are my fave.
  • Rocket_Man44
    Options
    Almonds, blueberries and or/ mixed berries with milk ( not trim or skim) + rolled oats.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    With a tablespoon of peanut butter and a tablespoon of maple syrup...
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP friends gave me a great recipe. Add caramel plus bacon to your oatmeal!
  • cpslacker
    Options
    I like mine with 1 tbsp cranberries, 1 tsp local honey, and 1 tsp Ghirardelli cocoa powder (unsweetened, of course) . Sometimes I'll throw a tablespoon of chopped walnuts or chopped pecans for some crunch. Nom, Nom!
  • Kirstyjem
    Kirstyjem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup water. Then I add vanilla protein powder, flax or chia seeds and shredded coconut. Cook. Add sliced almonds, honey & banana on top. Yummy & keeps me going for hours!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump!
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    I've only had it with brown sugar and milk. My dad used Splenda on his. We usually have a bowl of fruit on the side. For me, I like my oatmeal hot. Enjoy the different options people are mentioning.
  • MissBlunts420
    MissBlunts420 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like my oatmeal with a few dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips mixed in.
  • Rocket_Man44
    Options
    Spoon
  • bethterning
    bethterning Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to mix in a serving of my favorite Greek Yogurt. I was advised by a health coach to go with one that has less than 10g of carbs. So far I've found the Danon Greek Light and Fit meets that criteria.