Replies

• k_wat4264
    k_wat4264 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No I would be super happy with 1lb per week
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I am not looking to be stick thin. Everyone Carrys their weight differently so stats don't tell the whole story. The simple answer is I'm looking to lower my body fat percentage.

To me the obvious solution to that is to put on muscle and increase bone density then.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else find that it's super hard to stay under 1200 calories without working out, especially on the weekend if you are at someone's house or out To eat.

How do you plan out your calories? Any tips?

I'm getting frustrated not eating when I'm Hungry so that I can save calories for a BBQ or whatever is going on.

Unless you're so short that your BMR is around 1,200, 1,200 calories is not sustainable or advisable. 1,200 is also generally too aggressive.
    Also, of course it's hard to stay under 1,200...you're underfueling your body, and most likely miserable because you're not meeting your nutritional goals.

I eat over 1,600 and I've lost consistently. Up the cals, and set your weight loss to a more reasonable goal. I suspect you have yours at 2lbs/week, and that's probably too aggressive for you.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I am not looking to be stick thin. Everyone Carrys their weight differently so stats don't tell the whole story. The simple answer is I'm looking to lower my body fat percentage.

since you're quite slim, consider a recomp. Eat at maintenance and eat 0.8g/lb for protein (this will get you close, but probably a bit over, your protein needs based on 1g/lean body mass lb) while strength training - or even hypertrophy training if you want to focus on having way more muscular definition and pump - properly.

ETA: a 20% deficit is just fine when you have a bit more fat to lose (I'd say 25-30+ lbs, although I have ~20 to lose and I'm eating at a 20% deficit but will raise if needed) but for now either a 10% or recomp is fine for you. If you've set your goals up for 1lb/week then MFP would not have given you 1200 calories, so you clearly set it up for 2lb/week.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I'm around your age and 5 inches *shorter* and still eating 1500cals a day to lose a little bit. I lose consistently in this range of .5 to 1lb a week on average. 1200 is unnecessarily low for most people, that's pretty much in the 'crash diet' range and you're not likely to be able to stick with it no matter how much or little you want to lose.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

You're not going to lower your body fat percentage eating under 1200 calories per day. All you're going to do is end up eating away at your existing muscle and look basically the same as you do now with a lower number on the scale.

To lose body fat while retaining lean muscle, you need to eat at maintenance or a slight deficit (5-10%), get lots of protein, and lift heavy weights. Depending on your current BF%, a bulk and cut cycle might be appropriate as well.

^this 100%

I'm 5'3.5" 120 lbs and currently trying to bulk (been maintaining at 2350) Heavy lifting, eating to fuel your body and lowering BF% are much more important than scale number. It takes time and patience but it's well worth the effort.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    No I would be super happy with 1lb per week

That is too much for what you want to lose and doesn't coincide with your TDEE-20% calculations. Start back and the beginning.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1399829-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Please listen to the people here who know what they are talking about.
    Losing more weight, especially the way you are going about it, will simply leave you with just as much fat, if not a higher % of it as you will be losing muscle as well.
    The best way is to eat close to or at maintenance calories, and do some weight training. People have had amazing results doing that.
    If you check out my photos, I can assure you, I did not get to such a low bodyfat eating 1200 a day, or even 1500.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    1200 is hard because it sucks, and as others have said, it's too low for most people.

I can only echo the good advice you've already been given, and say that I've had my best success at lowering body fat by eating at a small calorie deficit and grabbing the heaviest weights I could find. For me (46 years old, 5'8", dumbbells three times a week) that has meant eating 1800-2000 cals a day - MUCH easier to stick to, and allows for life to happen - birthdays, holidays, enjoying dinners out, an ice cream with my kid, a beer with dinner, desserts when I want them.

Don't go with the bare minimum, but rather find the most amount of cals you can eat while still losing. Much more sustainable, leaving you well fueled for workouts and life in general.

Good luck!
  • k_wat4264
    k_wat4264 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been doing hiit workouts 4-5 times a week. I feel like I am really getting stronger, would that Sufice for the kind of weight traing that many of you mentioned?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    No, not really. Not the same thing. Actually, hiit can be a good thing to do alongside a weight training programe.
    For weights, look into stronglifts 5x5, starting strength or New rules Of Lifting For Women. Or look into bodyweight exercises to start. Lot of info online on all of those.