Swimming Questions

Options
I took up swimming earlier this year with the ultimate goal of doing triathlon in the future. I'm now up to a mile each workout. I'm hoping to take an actual class, but in the mean time I was hoping some of you might be bake to answer some questions I've thought of over the last few months. Sorry if any of these seem silly, but I don't know any other swimmers so I don't have any other sources of advice.

1. Should the swim cap cover my ears? I can get it there, but it doesn't stay after a handful of laps.

2. Should goggles go under or over your cap? Are there pros/cons either way?

3. During the pull, should I concentrate on keeping my fingers tight together or is it better to relax them?

4. Where should my hands enter the water? I've read stretched out ahead or me, near the side of my head and in between, is there a right answer?

5. I've read to keep your head down under the water and stare at the bottom of the pool to decrease drag, but when I come up to breath during my stroke I always feel like my head is going up and down (like a dolphin jumping in and out of the water or something), could I be doing something wrong? Can you put your head too deep?

Thanks for the help and advice!

Replies

• StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I took up swimming earlier this year with the ultimate goal of doing triathlon in the future. I'm now up to a mile each workout. I'm hoping to take an actual class, but in the mean time I was hoping some of you might be bake to answer some questions I've thought of over the last few months. Sorry if any of these seem silly, but I don't know any other swimmers so I don't have any other sources of advice.

1. Should the swim cap cover my ears? I can get it there, but it doesn't stay after a handful of laps.

2. Should goggles go under or over your cap? Are there pros/cons either way?

3. During the pull, should I concentrate on keeping my fingers tight together or is it better to relax them?

4. Where should my hands enter the water? I've read stretched out ahead or me, near the side of my head and in between, is there a right answer?

5. I've read to keep your head down under the water and stare at the bottom of the pool to decrease drag, but when I come up to breath during my stroke I always feel like my head is going up and down (like a dolphin jumping in and out of the water or something), could I be doing something wrong? Can you put your head too deep?

Thanks for the help and advice!

Not a professional but my daughter has been on swim team for almost 4 years now.

1. My daughter hates hers over her ears and wears them above...personal preference.
    2. Another personal preference. Many wear under so they don't fall off during dives, but you aren't going off the block so as long as they are staying on do what feels best.
    3. For beginners it is usually fingers closed slight cup...but when you learn to control your movements your fingers a little apart will create a better pull. You can look at some You Tube videos to see difference.
    4. Depends on what stroke...what are you swimming free, fly, etc.
    5. Again depends on stroke. Free keep head down, and when you breath only half your head should come out breathing from side..so 1/2 your goggles should be above water. Breast, keep your head low, you don't want to pull up too far, slows time. So again different for each stroke type.

Good luck.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't wear a cap or goggles. I have to keep my hair short because I'm in the pool daily, so it just turns into sticky straw if I let it grow. When I had to wear goggles, I found the Speedo ones were best. I know it's a name brand and all, but a lot of Speedo's stuff is really good. And they take feedback, so every new release of something is better until it's perfect...although once in a great while, the improvements are disappointing.

The finger thing - you just have to feel it. I suppose expert coaches could help better, but you will know what works for you, what pulls you faster, smoother, as you gain experience. Sometimes, just to work different muscles, I swim wacky ways. Try doing wacky things with your fingers to see the different results.

You might be able to take a class for stroke perfection. This is another thing you kind of have to play with until it feels right. I feel almost like I'm pulling back before my hand is in. As you get better, you just feel it.

You're rocking, right? You're not doing that kid thing where you just turn your head, are you? If you are, stop. You should naturally want to rock your body as you go. Use that to help with the breathing.

Swimming is fun. Goof off. Play around with different ways to move through the water. You learn how your body works that way. If you're thinking, "No! I just have to do the crawl!" try to think of it in a Wax on, Wax off kind of way. If you aren't part fish, you'll suffer for it. Spend a lot of time practicing, but spend a lot of time having fun.

Your head is part of your body. It's all one thing. Don't spend too much time worrying about where your head should be. Just learn where it works best. Breathing does suck, though. It is such a shame that we have to breathe. I wish they could give us gills via surgery. The breathing is so annoying.

Keep practicing. The more time you spend in the water, the better you get. If you live near the ocean, swim in it when you can.

Swim all kinds of ways. It's good for your muscles and doing one stroke well pays off in another.

And FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, do not listen to people who tell you you shouldn't splash when you swim. They don't know what the hell they're talking about. Never worry about splashing. You cannot swim fast and well without splashing.

Again, consider a stroke perfection class. And just spend time in the water.

Good luck!
  • djbrink21
    djbrink21 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'm definently hoping to take a masters class this winter (if I can find one that will work in my schedule). In the meantime I'll just keep at it and try to have fun.
  • hopetc
    hopetc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1) Mine usually covers the tops of my ears but not the whole ear, does not really matter though.
    2) Goggles go over the swim cap.
    3) No, they should be together but not tight.
    4) Your hands should enter the water in front of your shoulder almost fully extended with your hand at a slight angle in, hitting the water they first extend forward and out to full extension, angle your hand in and pull back and towards your midline and then about at your chest you change the angle and pull away from your midline out so your thumb brushes your hip on the way out and pull your elbow up to breathe. There are books from the red cross you can buy on form showing the dynamics and I'm guessing you tube may have something too.
    5) This is harder for me to visualize while not swimming. Yes, you look at the bottom but maybe slightly forward. As you are kicking you kick in little bursts side to side rotating your hips slightly. So with your hips rotated slightly and opening your shoulder as you lift your arm to breathe your head should only lift slightly to the side to breathe.