Recipe Request- Butternut Squash/Pumpkin and White Bean Soup

Options
1992Leigh1992
1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences making a soup with fresh pumpkin and canned beans.

All of the really good recipes I see use canned pumpkin/puree so I don't have a concept of the right cooking ratio that would make a soup not too watery.

Would it taste just as nice if I just followed a recipe for pumpkin soup and added the beans in later? Or do the beans soak up extra flavour from simmering with the rest of the ingredients?

Replies

• fanaledrinks112
    Options
    Here, sweet winter squash, earthy mushrooms and woodsy fresh sage mingle in a warming meatless stew. The only accompaniment needed is crusty bread. For dessert, set out wheat meal biscuits, sliced pears and a rich, creamy cheese.

Ingredients:
    2 to 2 1/2 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
    3 cups very hot water
    1 Tbs. olive oil
    2 yellow onions, finely chopped
    2 serrano chilies, seeded and minced
    2 tsp. minced fresh sage
    2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
    2 cans (each 15 oz.) cannellini beans, with liquid
    2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
    Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for sprinkling
    Directions:
    Place the dried porcini in a sieve and rinse briefly with cold water. Transfer to a small bowl and add the very hot water. Let soak until the mushrooms are softened, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions, chilies and sage and sauté until the onions are tender, about 8 minutes. Add the squash, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until the squash starts to soften, about 5 minutes.

Fanale Drinks