Too fat to go to the gym?

Options
12346»

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety about every new thing I ever do. Going to a gym by myself the first time I felt like I was going to puke, but I did it. After going a few times it got easier and now, it's just part of the routine. I see familiar faces and it's just not a big deal at all anymore. It's easy to find excuses to not do things. You are not too fat to go to the gym. You just have to want it bad enough.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. It will pass. Everyone always looks at the new person in every situation in life. The gym is no different. There is no one too fat for the gym. Respect for everyone who goes to the gym and tries to better them self.

I agree
  • _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I got myself a gym membership on the weekend and I have been once, but the whole time I was very anxious, scared and intimidated that all the other members were looking at me. Especially the gym junkies and skinny Minnie's.

How do I get past this feeling so that I can just go to the gym? Or should I put my membership on hold until I lose some more weight?

There are still moments I feel like the 'fat girl at the gym' but honestly - I don't even think about it much anymore. I always try and find one person in there that's inspiring me - and think 'if they can do THAT - surely I can do THIS'. Sometimes it's a buff guy lifting tons of weight, sometimes its the little old man just shuffling along at 2.0 on the treadmill - sometimes it's the 'skinnie minnie' (Oh I wanna be her) and sometimes it's the guy that has WAY more weight to lose than me -

At the end of the day - nobody there cares what you look like - except for you - and when you can figure out how to make yourself be proud of you - you'll quit worrying about it :)
  • tracie999
    tracie999 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I started going last year at 250lbs, i joined golds and we have a gym at work but i didn't want to go to that as i work with the military and was worried about what people would think of me. I soon got over my fear when one day i was in the work gym and some marines came in and worked in with me, now 62lbs lighter alot stronger and i have respect from the guys for sticking with it and making a big diffrence to my life.

Go keep going and you will get respect from people.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    No one there cares how fat you are. Seriously, and if they do, who cares. Are you going to let something like that keep you out of the gym? Are you going to let a preconceived notion about what someone "might" think about you, keep you from accomplishing YOUR goals? As others have said, if you can fit through the door and you want to be there, then go. No one is going to change you but you. Put some headphones on with your favorite music, tune everyone out, and go kick some butt!
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This morning on my way out of the gym I walked behind a woman who looked to be into her 70's, weighed I'd guess around 300 lbs, and used a walker. She was wearing her gym shoes. Anyone who thought less of her for being there, I'd give a figurative smack across the head. (NCIS style.) Jerks and narcissists are everywhere, not just in a gym. More important, kind and supportive people are everywhere too, including in the gym. Go do your thing, and be proud of yourself.
  • kareterra
    Options
    You're where you should be. You have to start somewhere, might as well be there.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    This morning on my way out of the gym I walked behind a woman who looked to be into her 70's, weighed I'd guess around 300 lbs, and used a walker. She was wearing her gym shoes. Anyone who thought less of her for being there, I'd give a figurative smack across the head. (NCIS style.) Jerks and narcissists are everywhere, not just in a gym. More important, kind and supportive people are everywhere too, including in the gym. Go do your thing, and be proud of yourself.

Well said, and good for her ++++