Vertigo...not kidding.

Options
Think I'm going crazy here, but I've been having bouts of vertigo since around 10am this morning. I only had a couple of glasses of wine to drink last night (that would be the usual culprit), and I actually fell over a few minutes ago so I'm getting worried. Anyone had any experience with this before?

Strange topic for a weight loss site lol but people here are so helpful!

Replies

• mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    are you taking or coming off of any medications? is this your first experience of these symptoms before/during your diet?
  • Soozcat
    Soozcat Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You may be getting an ear infection. Disturbances in the inner ear often cause sensations of dizziness and vertigo.

Although it's not likely, it could also be something more serious such as Ménière's disease--especially if your vertigo is accompanied by nausea. You should see a doctor if it persists.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Doctor. Seriously.

This could be something as simple as dehydration, or something as serious as a stroke.

Doctor, please.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My mom experiences this when she is dehydrated but I agree with vivakay . . . Doctor please!
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    If it keeps happening, I'm definitely going to the doctor. I don't take any medication, and this is the first time it's happened, on or off a diet. Thanks.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Probably agree with Soozcat an ear infection or a sinus infection can do this and if you aren't a n normal sufferer then this would totally disorienting to you, I know had a doozy this summer after never having an ear infection before! But yes see a dr!
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    that happened to me once in high school and it lasted for a whole week (with lots of throwing up involved) and i missed ALL of my finals (it sucked SO badly)! a REALLY bad flu that has settled in your inner ear can do that (thats what i had). but yeah go to a doctor. BUT HAVE SOMEONE ELSE DRIVE YOU!
  • Spudnuts
    Options
    To put this in perspective: I have had SERIOUS vertigo (I used to fall down all over the place and looked like a total drunkard even though I didn't drink) caused by heart problems; I have a bad mitral valve that causes blood to leak back into my lungs and causes dizziness and breathing trouble at times and I have a heart murmur (a hole between the chambers of my heart that makes a sort of squishy sound). Although it could be caused by a virus of some sort giving you inner ear trouble, you should get it checked out just to be on the safe side.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor....Be safe!!!!!!
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    I've had it several times. NO DRIVING - seriously. Turning your head to the left or right looking for traffic or looking behind you can make you lose all your bearings and cause an accident - happened to me. Go to the doctor.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I have had experiences with vertigo but definitely not related to weight loss (on my part anyway). I had to lay flat on the floor. Had someone drive me to urgent care the next morning and they provided me with a prescription that I take if I have an episode. Definitely need to see a doctor regarding this.
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    just a reminder, these are all guesses everyone is giving, so do not get over anxious about them or you may bring on 'pre-existing thoughts' where you feel as if you are suffering from other symptoms and you convince yourself it is cardiac, thus worrying you, thus raising your heartbeat and blood pressure, thus giving you a panic attack, thus falsely reinforcing your fear that it is cardiac, starting a viscious cycle...

Call your doctor
    Lay down
    Drink plenty of fluids
    Give yourself a small sugary snack in case your blood sugar is low
    Relax...
  • Rjperron
    Options
    Don't worry, won't drive a car (already cancelled all my appointments today before posting). I'm drinking lots of fluids and calling the doctor. Thanks for all the advice and concern, this site is great!
  • lisapooh1
    Options
    I've had Verigo before and you really should see a doctor and do not drive.......they gave me medicine and had me do exercises but it took me a month before I started feeling better, so please have it checked it's nothing to play with.......
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    If it keeps happening, I'm definitely going to the doctor. I don't take any medication, and this is the first time it's happened, on or off a diet. Thanks.

Well, if you have vertigo, surely you can't DRIVE to the doctor! Call the doc first, please. Hope it gets better!!! I experienced vertigo when I accidentally got antifreeze poisoning. I ate right after getting a little antifreeze on my hands while pouring it in my car. I didn't have a place to wash my hands afterwards.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Back to the topic of possible heart problems, I have vertigo, cause by an arrhythmia. It's nothing serious, my heart is fine, and I've only actually fainted a few times. But it's not in any way dangerous or life threatening, and most days it doesn't even bug me. So while it could be serious, it's probably not. Best to just get it checked out, and not stress about it, because like mirenner said, you could worsen whatever it is by stressing about it.

Hope you feel better sweetie! =)
  • Rjperron
    Options
    Btw, I'm feeling much better, vertigo has subsided and I spoke with my doctor, who's not worried! Thanks everyone!