How come??

Options
mrsyac2
mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
How come i see people starting their plan on MFP and within 3 weeks they lose 5-15 pounds why is that what are they doing so different then me? I work out 6 days a week really hard i watch my calorie intake- MFP gave me 1460 a day that doesn't include if I workout and i am not budging last I have lost and gained the same 3 pounds for months now (prior to MFP) i was hoping using this site would help me get out of this plateau but nothing is helping - Im very healthy as a matter of fact I saw the doctor today he told me to ease up on my water intake that I need to drink other things besides water (your damned if you do and damned if you dont) now I have to drink some gatorade too which is 50 calories a serving- I even started taking One a day weight smart because i need a multi vitamin- So I am doing what I am supposed to do and still no weight loss so somebody please tell me what you are doing that is so different from what I am - I eat my recommended calories and I am even trying to eat my excercise calories even though when I complete my days entery (after I eat most of my excericise calories it puts my weight up not down in 5 weeks:noway: ) maybe I need to cut more calories, maybe I should fast on just fruits and veggies for a week, I really need to lose this weight I am busting my butt with no results-Someone please help me I would appreciate it- i have read peoples posts about losing weight, working out, eating excercise calories, and nothing is seeming to help me get out of this horrible Rut- Please help me before I go crazy--

Replies

• mrsyac2
    Options
    How come i see people starting their plan on MFP and within 3 weeks they lose 5-15 pounds why is that what are they doing so different then me? I work out 6 days a week really hard i watch my calorie intake- MFP gave me 1460 a day that doesn't include if I workout and i am not budging last I have lost and gained the same 3 pounds for months now (prior to MFP) i was hoping using this site would help me get out of this plateau but nothing is helping - Im very healthy as a matter of fact I saw the doctor today he told me to ease up on my water intake that I need to drink other things besides water (your damned if you do and damned if you dont) now I have to drink some gatorade too which is 50 calories a serving- I even started taking One a day weight smart because i need a multi vitamin- So I am doing what I am supposed to do and still no weight loss so somebody please tell me what you are doing that is so different from what I am - I eat my recommended calories and I am even trying to eat my excercise calories even though when I complete my days entery (after I eat most of my excericise calories it puts my weight up not down in 5 weeks:noway: ) maybe I need to cut more calories, maybe I should fast on just fruits and veggies for a week, I really need to lose this weight I am busting my butt with no results-Someone please help me I would appreciate it- i have read peoples posts about losing weight, working out, eating excercise calories, and nothing is seeming to help me get out of this horrible Rut- Please help me before I go crazy--
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight right off because I have a lot of weight to lose. A lot of people that have come on here have come off of eating 3 or 4 thousand calories a day (at least I know I was), so the new healthy lifestyle is a real shock to our systems, and the weight just falls off. Only having 20 pounds to lose, it's going to come off slowly. Banks had a really good post about the phases of weight loss. I can't find it, but if someone else finds it, maybe they could post it. We're all behind you, and as long as you continue eating healthy and working out and wanting to lose weight the healthy way, it will come off.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    You may be working too hard and your body is holding on to the extra weight because you're going into "starvation mode". You may want to take a break and re-evaluate what kind of calories you're consuming. I can fit all of my favorite "bad" foods into the limit....but your body won't loose anything unless you're fueling it with the right stuff :)

Also....how often do you switch up your workout routine?? That has a huge impact on your plateau.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You may just simply have less to lose.

The more overweight you are, the easier your body lets go of weight.

Also, it's a more difficult balance to strike between calorie deficit, eating of exercise calories, nutrient balances, etc.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight right off because I have a lot of weight to lose. A lot of people that have come on here have come off of eating 3 or 4 thousand calories a day (at least I know I was), so the new healthy lifestyle is a real shock to our systems, and the weight just falls off. Only having 20 pounds to lose, it's going to come off slowly. Banks had a really good post about the phases of weight loss. I can't find it, but if someone else finds it, maybe they could post it. We're all behind you, and as long as you continue eating healthy and working out and wanting to lose weight the healthy way, it will come off.

Yup! I consuming an easy 3k calories before I came back on here and realized what I was doing wrong the first time. I was eating terrible foods, even though i could squeeze them into my daily allowance.....tsk tsk!
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I found through on line research that the calorie counts on exercise machines can by way off.

And a good article in NY Times on calories burned
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/20/health/nutrition/20BEST.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1210951412-eqzlb36Zj9/Q7uMYFdwGqQ

I also have seen an interesting thing called bodybugg that is supposed to tell exactly how many calories your body is using. You wear it all day and night. I haven't tried it but might if I stall out.
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I found through on line research that the calorie counts on exercise machines can by way off.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/20/health/nutrition/20BEST.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1210951412-eqzlb36Zj9/Q7uMYFdwGqQ

I also have seen an interesting thing called bodybugg that is supposed to tell exactly how many calories your body is using. You wear it all day and night. I haven't tried it but might if I stall out.

Yeah I saw that too I was thinking about getting it myself- I need to do something- I never use the calories burned that it says off the machine or off the website I like to say less burned than what it says I have burned -Call me crazy-
  • mrsyac2
    Options

Yeah I saw that too I was thinking about getting it myself- I need to do something- I never use the calories burned that it says off the machine or off the website I like to say less burned than what it says I have burned -Call me crazy-
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    can someone post something from Banks on less to lose here? I don't know how to do this, but I had the same question and it really helped me.

I didn't lose ANYTHING when I started here for almost 3 weeks. Then all of a sudden I lost 2 pounds and 1% body fat. Now I am going good.

I also read a post a few days ago about how it is harder for women to get started losing weight than men, because as soon as you start eating better and working out a lot, your body goes into starvation mode for a couple of weeks and then gets used to it. This was a news story from channel 4 in Denver if that helps. I believe it because it happened just that way for me.
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    also, do you have a scale that shows body fat %? maybe you are trading fat for muscle so not losing, that would be nice!
  • honeybee71
    honeybee71 Posts: 47
    Options

You may be underestimating how many caloies you are burning then. You have to make sure that you are eating your exercise cals.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    ok here are the posts you were looking for. I understand it's hard to eat all your calories if you are scared of gaining weight but IT WORKS... and yes we loose a lot in the beginning if we have lots to loose , but be glad, we have a lot longer to go work on getting healthy and since I am getting old there are a lot of other issiues comming my way:sad: ... but I'm here and with all the help on here I can do it