CARB TOLERANCE LEVELS?

Options
Going low carb for 14 days.(20 grams) Then adding 10 carbs per week.

I want to figure out my carb tolerance level for losing weight.

Anyone done this? Loved to hear input on how you did figuring out carb tolerance level. Just looking for those advice for those who have had success with it.

Against low carb, here's a flower for you :flowerforyou: But I know all the views peeps have about ATKINS & Low Carbs Diets. I've heard it all already. But I believe there is validity in improving ones success with losing weight by figuring out carb tolerance level. I'm not looking to change my eating habits, I like the way they are, just curious to see if there is difference in how much I eat of good carbs. Decided to take the time to test it out for myself. :blushing:

Replies

• SillySarah
    Options

Anyone done this? Loved to hear input on how you did figuring out carb tolerance level. Just looking for those advice for those who have had success with it.

Against low carb, here's a flower for you :flowerforyou: But I know all the views peeps have about ATKINS & Low Carbs Diets. I've heard it all already. But I believe there is validity in improving ones success with losing weight by figuring out carb tolerance level. Decided to take the time to test it out for myself. :blushing:

Good luck with that! I did Atkins with my MIL several years ago and it was tough. I found that I do fine around 100g per day (with no exercise). That's my lower limit. If I eat fewer carbs than that, I have all sorts of problems pertaining to my energy levels and mood. I'm not one who could stay on a super restricted carb diet for long.

My upper limit is about 180g. When I start eating a lot of bread and fruit, I get sluggish and sort of cranky.

ETA: If you're trying to achieve a state of ketosis, you may want to get some Ketostix to gauge the quantities of ketones you're secreting. Sorry if my original post didn't address this specifically. = )
  • SkierElle
    Options
    I have been slowly going Paleo so most of my carbs come from fruits and vegetables ( a little from lactose in milk since I am not cutting that out). If I eat processed grains or sugar... bad news! Good luck but don't cut out vegetables - you need those!! just grains and you will be good to go.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb for the past week and a half, under 20g, and the weight has been literally melting off.
  • Pragmatica
    Options
    Are you trying to stay in ketosis, or just eating low carb? Some people can get up to 50g net a day and stay in ketosis. I have to stay under 30g net. If I go over, my weight loss stalls for a few days. If I go way over, like 50-75, I seem to gain a little water weight.

Good luck!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing 30-35-35. That puts my default at around 80g a day (I think... I just changed it..) I would say I'm usually below that. My overall tolerance is on the high end of low. I notice variance in my response depending where the carbs come from. I seem to do fine when my carb intake comes from Greek yogurt, beans, veggies, and fruit. I eat wheat, rice, and other grains sparingly, and always brown if I can help it. When it comes to anything refined, my tolerance is very, very low. It flares up my edema and screws up my blood sugar. When it comes to carbs, I believe very much in quality over quantity, though I sort of prefer more of my calories to come from protein and fat.

I do believe knowing your carb threshold is very valuable, but I believe selecting the right sources is quite important too. Not everyone's body responds the same to different macronutrients. Some people NEED to be on very low carb because their bodies are so sensitive. Some people don't have a problem eating lots of grains. The more you know about how your body responds, the better off you are. You can figure out how to eat in a way your body likes. :flowerforyou:
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to stay in ketosis, or just eating low carb? Some people can get up to 50g net a day and stay in ketosis. I have to stay under 30g net. If I go over, my weight loss stalls for a few days. If I go way over, like 50-75, I seem to gain a little water weight.

Good luck!

No not ketosis, just starting out low and working my way up, see where my body starts to balk at the carb levels.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    This is probably a stupid question, but... how do you know when your body is in ketosis? And how long does it usually take to get there?
  • reneeot
    Options
    This is probably a stupid question, but... how do you know when your body is in ketosis? And how long does it usually take to get there?

I believe there is a stick you are suppose to pee on. You might check with someone who follows Atkins, I think they are suppose to stay in Ketosis.
  • apeman
    apeman Posts: 82
    Options
    Yep that's true.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

Um... You get a case of Altoids for Christmas? :laugh:
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb for the past week and a half, under 20g, and the weight has been literally melting off.

When I started MFP back in June, I weighed 150. Within 8 weeks, I was 130! I did no carb, all veggie/fruit and seafood/protein diet I made up. The weight literally melted off. The scale was going down EVERY DAY by .6, .8 lbs-sometimes just .2, but seeing the scale fall every day was such a boost. Eating no carbs for 2 months was hard though! And I mean no carbs like just avoiding pastas and rice. Of course, there are carbs in other foods.

I started the same diet 2 weeks ago and within a week had lost 4 of the 10 lbs I had gained over the holidays. I just hope I can stick to a somewhat healthy diet for xmas! I'm doing my low carb diet until I get to my goal weight. I have found it works best for my body type.
  • reneeot
    Options

:

. I found that I do fine around 100g per day (with no exercise). That's my lower limit. If I eat fewer carbs than that, I have all sorts of problems pertaining to my energy levels and mood. I'm not one who could stay on a super restricted carb diet for long.

My upper limit is about 180g. When I start eating a lot of bread and fruit, I get sluggish and sort of cranky.

Thanks that is what I was looking for someone who had taken time to figure out their carb tolerance levels!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I'm going higher protein as well. This site might be of interest to you:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dial-in-your-carb-count/
  • reneeot
    Options
    I'm going higher protein as well. This site might be of interest to you:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dial-in-your-carb-count/

Thanks, I was looking for such info!!! :bigsmile:
  • reneeot
    Options
    DRATS MESSED UP ALREADY!!! :bigsmile: Such a loser!! Hee Hee!!!!

Starting all over today! Bread got me yesterday evening around 6pm!!! And the chocolate chip coconut cookie too!! Yum Yum.

This is a good challange for me!!! 20 carbs/7 or 14 days. Here we go!!
  • StephieAmber
    Options
    ZOINKS! I just put some cinnamon on top of my cream of wheat this morning and was SHOCKED to see that one tsp had 2grams of carbs!! For someone going low-carb, one tenth of your daily carb intake from a spice is kinda lame IMO...who wudda thunk!?

Just something I realized and thought I'd share!!

Good luck on your determining your tolerance levels...and watch out for the cinnamon :D
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    ZOINKS! I just put some cinnamon on top of my cream of wheat this morning and was SHOCKED to see that one tsp had 2grams of carbs!! For someone going low-carb, one tenth of your daily carb intake from a spice is kinda lame IMO...who wudda thunk!?

Just something I realized and thought I'd share!!

Good luck on your determining your tolerance levels...and watch out for the cinnamon :D

Cinnamon or cinnamon sugar?
  • StephieAmber
    Options
    Plain ol' regular cinnamon!!

I checked the MFP Food DB and then double checked it with what I found on the interwebz...look:

http://www.eddieoneverything.com/nutrition_info/calories-carbs/Carbs-in-Cinnamon-ground_194.php

2 grams!!
  • Photoplex
    Photoplex Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Plain ol' regular cinnamon!!

I checked the MFP Food DB and then double checked it with what I found on the interwebz...look:

http://www.eddieoneverything.com/nutrition_info/calories-carbs/Carbs-in-Cinnamon-ground_194.php

2 grams!!

That's nuts... Just looking around at some other spices and they aren't much better...

Cumin - 2g
    Turmeric -1.5g
    Cayenne Pepper - 1.5g
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    oh thats sooo sad.... i love cinnomon.. I have been playing with the low carb idea for some time now...I've been staying under 100 gm's a day and it has been going well, not fantastic, but well... I would love to try to go even lower. I guess my question is, what are ya'll eating? Because as Im finding out EVERYTHING has carbs in it. Would love any help on this topic, really would like to cut back some more.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!