Everything Delicous Is Unhealthy

Options

Replies

• Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Also I'm a big fan of regular mayo, 1 because low fat tastes gross, but 2 because I found out how its made: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00f3nrz

Just can't bring myself to essentially knowingly eat cabbage slime ;P. Haha. But whichever you prefer, there's no need to give it up, just keep the portions under control and make sure that it doesn't cause you to go over your calorie goal
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Here is a cut 'n' pasta of an approach that is more sustainable in the long run, hope it helps OP.

*http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

IIFYM is a philosophy about food selection with the belief that body composition changes are primarily a function of nutrient intake and energy balance rather than a function of individual food sources.

When practicing IIFYM, it is recommended that you choose mostly whole and nutrient dense foods to comprise the majority of your intake. Fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, etc, and at the same time, leaving some room for a discretionary intake. A common and very reasonable recommendation would be about 80/20. That is to say, that if you've got a calorie target of 2500, you'd eat approximately 2000 calories of whole and nutrient dense foods with a calorie bank of 500 to eat whatever you would like while still hitting your calorie and macronutrient targets by end of day

What IIFYM is not:

1) It is not eating cake and chips all day.
    2) It is not disregarding micronutrients and fiber and general intelligence with regards to food choice.
    3) It is not a specific macro setting. There is a website out there that has the IIFYM label that includes a calorie calculation tool and unfortunately several people on MFP believe that doing "IIFYM" means eating those specific macros. This is false
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, when you say it's about the "end result" that automatically sets you up to see this as short term and therefore, probably not very successful.

Regardless of how and what you decide to eat, you need to make this a sustainable change. Losing weight and getting healthy go hand in hand. One (losing weight) is all about calorie deficits. The other (getting healthy) is about learning to meet your macros and exercising.

Start with learning your numbers (BMR, TDEE, etc.) and set a calorie deficit that is reasonable for you and the amount of weight you want to lose.

When you can stay within your calorie deficit for a week or two, then start watching and learning to meet your macros (protein, fat, carbs).

When that skill is under your belt, then look at your micros.

The food choices are up to you. There are many different plans out there that will get you to your goal. Decide what works for you and your lifestyle.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Enjoy anything in moderation. I refused to quit eating what I enjoy. Just track your calories and that will help to keep your quantity down. Bacon, BBQ, Bourbon, Cheesecake, Pasta, Butter, Beer, etc all is fine in moderation.

29509743.png
  • alliemay1024
    alliemay1024 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ok ok you see! this is the stuff I need! What's our take on mayo, I love it but I am well aware that I should def do without it.... but come on... a sandwich without mayo?? lol I have switched to light but im sure that's still not good. I was thinking of adding pickles, this way I don't think the sandwich is dry

If you like avacado, or different flavored mustards, this helps. I think avacado has the desired consistency I am looking for in mayo, plus you can add cilantro, dill, etc to the avacado for LOTS of flavor, and the healthy fat content in the avacado is a plus.

I am TOTALLY on the same page as you when it comes to missing the "yummy" factor of food. I just started adding more spices and herbs to things to make up for the things I miss.

OOOOO! Also Laughing Cow spreadable cheese helps with that as well. I forgot about that yummy tip!!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    If you are on a diet where you aren't enjoying the food, then you are on a wrong diet.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I know that it sounds silly, but a big problem I have being on a diet is that i'm not enjoying what i'm eating. I know it's about the end result, I just don't know if I can make it a permanent change when I miss the 'yummy' food so much. I'm sure theres any easy solution :(

there is an easy solution... eat as many of the yummy things that will fit within your calorie and macro goals....
    100% This.

You don't need to cut anything out of your life. Just fit into your calorie goal.

BTW, Arnold makes a 40 calorie/slice bread. I use that for sandwiches. So yummy....
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have a strict "don't cut out any foods I enjoy' policy.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I had toast for breakfast nearly every day while losing weight. Still do.. I also ate a lot of sandwiches, and they usually had mayo. Lite mayo, but still. It's all about moderation and portion control. Eat what you want, just smaller portions.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    If you are on a diet where you aren't enjoying the food, then you are on a wrong diet.
    1KpdeH3.gif
  • TiLo0905
    Options
    ewwwww...cabbage slime? lololol!!!! I eat the real thing as well, the no fat stuff just has more sugar in it too so id rather eat less of the real thing...same with salad dressings.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The only foods that I don't eat are ones that I do not like, other than that I eat whatever I want and have managed to lose a few pounds and keep it off.... There are no bad foods period, are there some that are more nutritious than other?? of course but don't lump foods into categories of good vs. bad, once you learn that then this journey will be a whole lot easier.... best of Luck
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same camp as many others who have replied. I haven't intentionally cut anything from my diet. I eat bread, I eat pasta, I eat ALL de foodz (except, as CyberEd said, the ones I don't like) . I eat proper portions (weighed out whenever possible) but NOTHING is off limits. Period. It has made things so much easier! Before whenever I'd diet I'd feel like I was deprived, and couldn't wait to hit my weight to be "done." As a consequence I gained all of it back, and then some, every time. This time though, is so much different because I eat Twix bars and I eat ice cream, casseroles, cream sauces, and anything else I darn well please. It's something I can do forever, and I intend to.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Bread is the staff of life! I will not give it up, never.

I eat several slices a day. I also eat rice, and pasta quite a bit. I cut back on stuff I dont like as well, like fatty foods. that diet change is easy for *me* . Others would rather die than give up french fries, to each their own.

prioritize the things you love, so your food is all killer, no filler.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    "Everything Delicous Is Unhealthy.... "

hmm, everything I eat is delicious, and much of it is healthy.

Time to do more experimenting.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    ok ok you see! this is the stuff I need! What's our take on mayo, I love it but I am well aware that I should def do without it.... but come on... a sandwich without mayo?? lol I have switched to light but im sure that's still not good. I was thinking of adding pickles, this way I don't think the sandwich is dry

If you like avocado, it makes a great mayo substitute when mashed and spread on a sandwich. It's still pretty calorie dense, but it's good fat.
  • hlcook
    hlcook Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I Love bread... I'm a big sandwich person

I totally hear ya! I make a wicked homemade bread and feed it to my kids ... and now that it's Back To School time... they'll have yummy sandwiches. It's hard not to eat the whole loaf!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have been at this now for quite a while (2-1/2 years), and I understand your comment................but...................I have learned it is all about moderation, portion size and self control. Not easy.

I love bread also. I have learned to like it without anything on it. I enjoy the multi grain take and bake loaves. I cut them into 2 oz pieces and wrap each piece in saran wrap and freeze them in the individual portions. I savour each piece I eat, and I always have a regret at the back of my mind that I have to limit myself. I could eat the whole loaf, but I will no longer "spend" my calorie allotment on bread. It is just the way it is now for me. This is true of all foods, but bread is the one thing that I truly miss eating as much of as I would like to eat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Most of what I eat is delicious. You don't have to deprive yourself to lose weight. You can still have sandwiches, just go light on the condiment and have some veggies on the side or something. Find healthier recipes of food you love etc.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Lots of delicious things are healthy!! And my tastes have totally changed too. I had a pickle yesterday for the 1st time in a long time and felt like I had just eaten crunchy salt. Guess I am crossing pickle off the list of things I like. lol I don't like fried foods anymore or anything super sweet or anything with a lot of sugar. I'm now picky about bread, (a lot of it tastes sweet to me?!?! weird, until you read the labels.. *sigh*) I have an apple and carrots everyday and actually find that organic carrots are very sweet. I found an Almond milk that I like that doesn't have all the crap in it that silk does.

Just keep trying things. There's so much out there just waiting to be discovered. :)