To everyone stressing holiday parties

Options
STOP FREAKING OUT!!!! Jeez, you know how to control your portions. You know how the foods you should avoid. You know that you can enjoy with out indulging. You know that you can exercise your right to have a treat. You know that if you go off the deep end, tomorrow is a new day.

Celebrations are part of life and you can NOT avoid them, but you can control them. So stop freaking out and whining about how terrible you are or how terrible you feel or how terrible you ate. SUCK IT UP and move forward!! Take responsibility for you actions and promise to make better choices as soon as possible. ONE holiday did not make you fat, one holiday will not make you gain back 50 lbs! Smile and rejoice in your accomplishments this year. Enjoy the party, enjoy the holiday, and most of all enjoy your life!!

Replies

• AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    True.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    STOP FREAKING OUT!!!! Jeez, you know how to control your portions. You know how the foods you should avoid. You know that you can enjoy with out indulging. You know that you can exercise your right to have a treat. You know that if you go off the deep end, tomorrow is a new day.

Celebrations are part of life and you can NOT avoid them, but you can control them. So stop freaking out and whining about how terrible you are or how terrible you feel or how terrible you ate. SUCK IT UP and move forward!! Take responsibility for you actions and promise to make better choices as soon as possible. ONE holiday did not make you fat, one holiday will not make you gain back 50 lbs! Smile and rejoice in your accomplishments this year. Enjoy the party, enjoy the holiday, and most of all enjoy your life!!

This is very true but I think to some they fear giving into temptation will lead to s spiral affect! Like one cookie will lead to 4 or one cocktail will like the 2 more...
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    LIKE!
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    Well said! Dieting cannot overtake your life - you have to celebrate every now and then! :)
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    If everyone could manage self control I don't think we'd be here....be a little sympathetic ;)
  • faegrl32
    Options
    I like that. I already plan to hit the gym hard from now until the 22nd (except Sunday) so I can indulge (but not over-indulge) at our company Christmas Party.

Then it's back to the gym after work on the 22nd until the 25th.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I can totally spiral. For some reason, my desire for junk has disappeared lately. I don't know how, but it's amazing. I'm so grateful. I estimated roughly 440 cals for the holiday lunch for my department today. (The barbecue meatballs kinda killed me, but I HAVE to have protein.) Half my plate was raw veggies, no dip. I did NOT have desserts. I took a small amount of dark chocolate back to my desk and decided to save it for tomorrow.

Funny enough, I was really BAD last Saturday. Not much in the way of sweets, just too much food... casseroles and such. Again, I don't know where my sudden lack of desire for rich food has come from, but if I had beat myself up at all for last week, I'm certain there's no way I'd have it now.

Even if you feel you must indulge a little, try to have a little restraint. Pick your indulgences. If you're going to have dessert, pick a small portion of something that you love and that's really rich. Enjoy it. One of the hardest things to master is moderation. "If a little is good, a whole lot more is better!" type of thinking is really bad. Also, if you know there's a party coming up, have a snack right before you go in. A little Greek yogurt and a small apple worked great for me.

The point is, the OP is right. If you just let yourself go, freak out, throw in the towel, you're just hurting yourself. Try to manage yourself and not mess up. If you do mess up, move on. Keep exercising to minimize the damage. We can ALL do this. :flowerforyou:
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I plan on enjoying myself and if I gain a pound or 2 back so be it. I can lose it again. Its no going to put back all 24 lbs I have lost so far and I know that once the holidays are over the holiday goodies will go away too so I can be back on track. Fortunately we go to the in-laws for the holidays so I dont have any of the goodies in the house and will only be around it fo a few days. Good luck everyone!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Not freaking out here. I have a office Christmas dinner with my coworkers in an hour at a Mexican restaurant. Fajitas, flan, wine, etc. I already burned over 700 calories this morning and I've eaten sensibly all day. So, no worries.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    LIKE!
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking the same thing!!
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You are so right -- My problem is that I can very easily slip back into my old habits and then have a hard time snapping out of it. I actually did that very thing last year and have been paying for it ever since! I had hit my goal weight two weeks before Christmas. Then I "indulged" and put about 5 pounds back on by January. Wouldn't have been a big deal, but my taste for sweets and my pattern of overeating in the afternoons had be re-established, so I have spent the ENTIRE YEAR trying to get back to my goal weight! At one point this summer, I was ten pounds over. Now I'm five pounds over and have been holding steady for about a week. I am quite honestly nervous that I'm going to put on five pounds again, not take those off, and be ten pounds over at this time next year. Etc., etc.

I plan to stock the house with baby carrots and apples and to stuff myself with those so there's not as much room for other things.

We'll see ...
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that agrees with me. Congrats to all that are taking control of themselves and enjoying the holidays!!!

If you are afraid of a "downward spiral" - You need a plan!!! Tell yourself what you are going to do to stay in control. Write it down. Tell friends and loved ones and have them help you stay in control. Workout, eat before you go, chew gum, drink water. There are soooo many things you can do to help you avoid giving in to temptation you just have to prepare yourself!

And in the event you have one ( or 6 ) too many cookies, just pick yourself up, brush off and get back to it ASAP.
  • enygmatic1
    enygmatic1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here's my thought as someone at the beginning, again, of her journey you're absolutely right with everything you say but if I was practiced at controling my urges I wouldn't be morbidly obese to begin with. So while I applaud the sentiment I also know what a struggle it is to shut up that "fat" girl in my head and realize that sometimes the "whinning" is really a way to vent our fears so that we can focus on the positive and be aware of our actions and how they can react with our future. So to all that need to vent do so but always keep in mind that while tomorrow is never a promise or a guarantee when it comes it is a brand new day and cherish it like it could be your last because you just never know. Good luck all and have a wonderful holiday season remember to love yourself first and that will spill over on all the others you love in your life. I have to remind myself of that everyday.

We can do it one step, one meal, one realization, one moment at a time.